Thread : In the news today

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: Thread : In the news today

Post by Artemisia »

During DragonCon in 1999, Heard spoke out about the need for reforms regarding healthcare for actors. I worked on a webmagazine named The Sojourner at the time, and we had the pleasure to interview him about that story.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

I vote we rename this the Obituaries thread.
I think outside the tesseract.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

:-bd :-bd :-bd
I think outside the tesseract.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Looks like Trump loves transgender people so much, he does not want them to die in service of their country, ever. :)

Go fuck yourself!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I am so tired. Every day it's something new. They blocked the repeal last night and I was thinking "How many times are we going to have this fight?" And then the transgender news was one of the first things I saw this morning. I am.. so tired.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

http://lifehacker.com/the-military-spen ... 1797266371

for perspective.

i hope this doesn't affect our resident forumite :<
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Considering my first thought when seeing it this morning was wondering if it would affect civilian employees, yeah. Fun news. Hopefully he just forgets to do more.
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Until he files the paperwork, it's just a lot of gas. It'll still cause problems, though.

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

I had to pop in to comment on this latest bit of pandering to the far right by Trump. Military service is often the only path out of poverty/bad situations for many people of all walks of life, and Trump's trying to slam the door on a whole sector of them. Any transgendered person who even thought of supporting Trump has to feel bewildered and outraged.

On another note, June Foray, queen of the voice actors, passed at the age of 99. If you love animation, you must be saddened by June's passing.
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Even more than after the White House axed the LGBT support website, you mean?

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Never fear, old witches never die...we just move on and come back....for those who don't know, Forey voiced Witch Hazel in the Looney Toons until 2005. She was also the voice of Granny and Cindy Lou Who.

On the transgender issue...an out trans woman and former navy S.E.A.L. has challenged Trump to explain himself face to face. So far, he hasn't accepted. One trans woman who was on The Daily Show explained that she didn't have any trouble when she started transitioning before the ban was being lifted. She was forced to retire when it came out that she's trans, but she was one of the best instructors our military had when it came to teaching the police forced of Afghanistan and she even won a medal from the French for her bravery.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

"Repeal and replace"?

Also, with each passing day, if someone tells me that the whole Trump administration are just puppets of a shadowy evil cartel of superrich old white men, I'd be more inclined to believe that piecemeal. :|

Oh, and here I was sad at Spicy resigning because of nooo-think-of-the-comedy? Man, I needn't have worried. Now we have Scaramucchi, Scare-a-mooch doing THE FANDANGO!!! =)) =)) =))
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Gallop moose! Gallop moose! Can we move to Canada? :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

just repeal. with "eventual" replacement. Maybe,
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?