The Techno-Cave

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Doctor Emmit Brown

Re: The Techno-Cave

Post by Doctor Emmit Brown »

while I'll admit ignorance to all things Apple, including iTunes and iPods, it sounds to me that your problem is indeed your hard drive since you're having problems with it as well as the Apple software. I'd back it up NOW and take it in to be looked at.
"Thanks, Dad! The toy every kid wants, a container ship! Now I can replicate international commerce." - Adam Savage

Minion (and sexual slave) of Asaryu.

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:while I'll admit ignorance to all things Apple, including iTunes and iPods, it sounds to me that your problem is indeed your hard drive since you're having problems with it as well as the Apple software. I'd back it up NOW and take it in to be looked at.
:| Ouches. That's going to hurt right in the face/wallet.
Resplendent King of Lizards and Darkness
Resident Firestarter, Wielder of the Falcon Punch
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS
Proudly signature-less since 1986. I mean... Fuck.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

Remember it was being odd here as well...not letting us access the last few folders for some reason.

I was too lazy to investigate, and I just assumed it was the fault of the computer that George rigged up...but it may have been the hard drive exhibiting the same issues.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

Might have been... *gulps audibly*

I've re-installed iTunes just now. I've only imported the one album, and it appears to be playing okay. For now.

At the moment I'm content with Ostrich-Fu in regards to the hard drive- but the minute something else blips I may just have to admit that there is a problem.

GRAH COMPUTARDS.
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

I'm looking forward to my iPhone.

I have a heavy addiction to the internet, and to communication. I like to be able to be in constant contact with loved ones...and with the iPhone 3.0 OS, it means I can do that. Everyone seems to be real keen on the copy and paste feature, but I'm mostly keen on the ability to let apps push messages to you when they aren't specifically running.

I'll be on the 3G network (unlike my iTouch that only lets me connect WiFi) and I can check the forum without logging out of MSN...no more missed messages when I'm out and about, and it will save me money on text messaging overseas. Mail, Facebook, MSN and news apps can push data to my phone without me having to go in to each app separately and ask politely for the info.

Hooray for iPhone!
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Personally I prefer the Google Phone... it does all of that and more and easier from what I've heard.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

I think it all boils down to familiarity and what you're used to. I'll probably find the iPhone easier since I actually like the iPhone operating system and it works for me. I like the touch screen, I like the shake 'n' bake features, I like the fact I can use it as my mp3 player, and I like the community of application creators, the massive amount of support that's available and the way it (should) seamlessly fall into line with the other programs I use. I don't think it's perfect by far, but it suits my needs and does just about everything I could want.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Your iTouch is set as a WiFi since there is no way for them to charge you for internet access, except to Apple sites and pay-to-play sites. You can use it in your own home, or anywhere a WiFi system is available. With the iPhony, you get dinged nicely with service charges, data rates, app rates and such. Hope you have a very good plan!
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

I've got George who's been testing out the plan for the last 6 or so months

So far it's more than enough.

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

Alrighty. Time for another computery question!

So I received a new workstation computer last week. It's pretty good for a two year old machine. Anyway, unfortunately all the operating system software (Windows XP Pro) hasn't come with any of its original documentation (I had to ask the guy I bought it from for the product key :| ). This includes the instructions for the Restore Plus! disk- i.e, the service pack. There's no generic executable file on the service pack disk, just a bunch of folders and files I assume I have to put in the right place in the C: drive.

Are there any general instructions for installing the service pack hiding somewhere on the interwebs, or will I have to bug the seller to go look for the instructions?
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

If I read this correctly...you have a functioning version of XP Pro, along with the authorization key? Once you re-register the Windows in your name and connect to Microsoft update, then the service packs 1, 2 and 3 should automatically download.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

What he said... I remember when I installed them I had to go to the microsoft site and download them, but it was all auto install from there.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

:-? Hmmm...this may actually belong in the "Desires" thread, but DnE's strip made me remember I have always wanted a Tachikoma. :x Especially one of the "living" ones from Stand Alone Complex / 2nd Gig. Sure would make traffic easier to deal with. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

and they'll be able to play computer games with you
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

Ten years ago...I was a strict metalhead. Now, I listen to all sorts of things...even Johnny Cash, but still not techno.

:p
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.