The Techno-Cave

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Bear
BANNED

The Techno-Cave

Post by Bear »

The Techno-Cave... Realm of Techno-paths, Cyber and Steampunks, Engineers or just anyone else plain interested in technology and the various gadgets it has spawned.

Seen a new technological innovation you want to share? A gadget you think is just brilliant? Want to discus some theoretical technologies or just show off your collection of techno-toys? Then do it here, and share the technological madness with the forumiverse!

To start with, I present... This. Minoru. A webcam that captures your image in 3D so you can transmit you looks in full 3D glory.

It works on the old principle of two cameras a width appart taking images in red and blue tones like an old fashioned 3D movie that requires the oldschool 3D glasses to veiw properly. I just thought it was an interesting developement of how old ideas have suddenly come to the forfront of tech again... Something tells me though that what with the images being in 3D... well, its going to be used for even more naughtiness then your normal webcam is.

Ithilion

Re: The Techno-Cave

Post by Ithilion »

interesting gadget.. once it gets linux drivers, i may consider buying it
Cave Elder: Keeper of the Garden, Zen Master of Shadows

Member of the Dream Team

You are suffering from delusions of adequacy.

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

I can't find the specs to it on the website. It looks like it will be neat, but not worth $90. My cheap Logitech cam might even be better dollar for dollar. Though I'm thinking of getting a Creative cam, one of the higher end ones.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Gosh, I thought this was the place where the Elder's went to rave... *raves anyway*

I'm not so much a gadget person. Got two computers, a small digital camera, a cell phone I very rarely use... No MP3 player, no game consoles, etc.

There is one gadget I like to use, though. It weighs 65 tons, looks like a mortar and has Carl-Zeiss optics. ;)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

Yeah, Don, that’s a fun toy indeed.

Interestingly enough, a business in my hometown ground mirrors for the Hubble telescope. Local astronomy class toured the place once.
I think outside the tesseract.

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

Don Alexander wrote:Gosh, I thought this was the place where the Elder's went to rave... *raves anyway*
I thought this was a rave party too :)) And now I am disappointed :(

This is way cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAI9mF_cBu0

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

*raves with Sithling to Maschinenzimmer 412*

I want that thing to play Tetris with!!! Combined with a Wiimote!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Just because you put Techno, meaning Technology on something, you get people thinking that its rave music *eyerolls*

But hey, that mirror is pretty cool. I'd not mind on of them myself.

Ithilion

Post by Ithilion »

:-o =p~ I want that mirror... the applicaitons are endless

*runs off to the site to get more info*
Cave Elder: Keeper of the Garden, Zen Master of Shadows

Member of the Dream Team

You are suffering from delusions of adequacy.

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

I don't think it's actually for sale, which really sucks :(

JaS

Post by JaS »

I own this SLR which is great http://www.thecamerastore.com/products/ ... f-s-f35-56. If theres any other camera geeks out there :D
sports don't build character, they reveal it

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

I've seen things similar to that before... its doesn't actually monitor any sort of brain waves at all, but rather the electrical activity of the brain. Basically the more focused you are, the greater the activity so the higher the current. That or the alternative is it monitors which side of the brain is active, the thinking and doing part, or the creative part.. but its the same principle. Still.. its pretty cool as its things like this that will eventually lead to the mind machine interface of true artifical limbs.

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

I think it's kind of scary how advanced technology is getting.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

I'm actually kinda of disapointed that technology isn't more advanced... Theres many things that we've been experimenting with for years now, yet they are only just being taken seriously. Electric car for instance...the principle has been around since the 70's, yet its only now that we're running out of oil that the companies are taking them seriously.

Whats worse I find is that our overall level of technology could have been much improved. Without the Dark Ages, we'd be much more advanced. Think about it... The Romans had engineering, sewer systems, under floor heating, principles for mass manufacture and intensive farming... Yet, the Empire fell and we had a period of hundreds of years where we forgot all of that... Notto mention we could have had computers much sooner if they'd been taken seriously in the 1800's with the Difference Engine being invented...