mis-dial fun

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

MuchachoNL
Menace to Society

mis-dial fun

Post by MuchachoNL »

I was reading Sohmer's blog on LICD about how he got a text message from someone he didn't know, asking him to tell someone else he doesn't know that the front door is open when he comes home later that night.
I saw a lot of folks posting about their own experience with random ppl calling/texting them when they were actually trying to reach someone else.
You probably also have one or two experiences with that, so please share yours.

I'll start with mine:

After five years of having this number I still get a phone call twice a year from a dentist, asking for Mr. Balvado.
They're constantly reminding me/him that I/he need(s) to get his teeth checked and my/his last appointment was 1 - 4 years ago.
I always reply with: "As you can probably tell by the way I can properly pronounce your name without a lisp, Jessica, I'm not Mr. Balvado and my teeth are perfectly in order, thank you very much."
They always promise to delete my number, but they keep ringing it without failure for the last 5 years... I expect a call again next November.
-----------
I once got a call from a random girl all horny: "Hey, Bobbyyyyyy... I was thinkin' boutcha!"
My name not being Bobby, I still thought of not being a spoilsport: "Is that so?"
Her: "Yeah, I'm lying in bed all alone, and I could really use your <you know what> inside me... Ah! oops, I'm already wet..."

At that point I figured the joke was over... I didn't want to start a phone sex conversation with a girl I didn't know.

So I replied: "Ah, well, that's too bad... See, I'm not Bobby, never knew the guy, you probably have the wrong number.. I'm sor-"
She: "So you're saying you're not that big buffed guy, bald head, 1m90 tall, that I bumped into at the mall and gave me his number?!"
Me: "Which mall?"
She then gave the name of a mall that was surprisingly very close by.
Me: "Nah, not him, but I do live near it though."
She replied with a little sad "Oh :(" and when I was just about to apologize for the inconvenience I almost HEARD her mind go "click" and she was all back in her horny mood and asked: "Well then... do YOU want to come over and do me until the sun comes up?"
Given the fact that I was 'only' 1m69, not that buffed I hesitated, which I actually told her.
She: "Well, those guys have small d**ks anyway, so I think you'll be able to actually tire me out for a change."
I was flabberghasted, mind racing: what should I do? Go over there or not... I'm single... so why not... Dude, you don't know her, get serious!
So I chickened out and said: "Lemme think about it"
We hung up after that, and as she texted me her address she turned out to be my slightly under-aged neighbor from one door down (she was 16, few days short of 17... and I was 23 by that time).
I kindly replied that it wasn't that good of an idea to be f*@#%ing my under-aged neighbor silly, while her parents are asleep in the room next to it.
And she replied with: "OMG! Are you Sebas!?!?"
Me, grinning and texting:" Yup, the one and only."
She was so embarrassed that we've never spoken since, and she keeps looking away when we meet outside, face all blushy. :p
Freudian Slip: When you say one thing, but mean your mother... err... another.

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Re: mis-dial fun

Post by Lilianna »

That would have been... awkward, I gotta admit.

The best I got is my sister... When we get a call from "Card Services", she answers the phone. The caller always says "hello!" and then my sis interrupts with "Hi, this is T'kwanda Smith from Americard Services. Would you be interested in our latest credit card offer?". Usually the caller hangs up. Two different funny variants: the first time she did this, we got a call a few days later for a "T'kwanda Smith". And then a few times later, the caller answered with "...I'm calling on behalf of Discover." and hung up.
ImageHEAD TECHNOLOGIST and GUARDIAN OF THE "THRONE".Image

CHIEF PROPHET OF CACAO, THE LORD AND GOD OF CHOCOLATIANITY

FSU Class of 2014!
Ailith wrote:Yes, it was intimate, it was passionate, it was sensual, and it ended with a few orgasms. So yeah, counts as sex to me.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

At the current number that I'm at, I had problems with a local business that would call for the regional supervisor at my number all the time. This went on for almost four years, and more than one I had an in depth conversation with the person on the other end to get this changed. What happened was that the fellow they were trying to call had an out of state number, with the area code of 407. The next four numbers of his phone number were the same as the last four in my number. What was happening was that they would attempt to call this supervisor through speed dial, but their speed dial neglected to dial a "1" first to get the line headed out of state. It finally stopped a little over a year ago, and I'm glad that it did.

However, on story relating to phone mix-ups (but not necessarily a mis-dial) I once had a girlfriend call up when I was an older teen and still living at home. Now, all the guys in my family have a very similar voice - baritone, similar inflection, etc. It can be difficult to tell us apart on the phone. So this girlfriend at the time called up, and she decided she'd try something fun... she'd surprise me by talking dirty, and see how I reacted. She'd never done this before, so she went out on a limb. Except... she had my 13 year old brother answer the phone, who'd just woken up so his voice was a bit groggy and sounded deeper than normal. He only gets out "Hello?" when she starts in with the dirty talk. I'm in the other room, and I hear him say "Liz, right? I think you're meaning to talk to Chris." He laughs, hands the phone to me (blushing a bit but smiling) and explains what happened. I had a good laugh too, but my girlfriend at the time couldn't stop apologizing. She never tried anything of the sort again.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

Per the 407 thing... there's someplace outside of Florida with 407? because my first thought was "oh Disney, how I miss you!"

And the dirty talk thing is hilarious.
ImageHEAD TECHNOLOGIST and GUARDIAN OF THE "THRONE".Image

CHIEF PROPHET OF CACAO, THE LORD AND GOD OF CHOCOLATIANITY

FSU Class of 2014!
Ailith wrote:Yes, it was intimate, it was passionate, it was sensual, and it ended with a few orgasms. So yeah, counts as sex to me.

MerchManDan
Nerd-At-Large (Mostly Harmless)

Post by MerchManDan »

A text conversation between myself and "Sender: (no name) +1204*******" I had owned my very first cell phone for a couple of months.
Are you still up?
Yes; who is this?
Were you talking about my red long johns? Yes i still have them! And you can borrow them its your dad silly
You have the wrong number.
Is your name bethany?
Nope, I'm Dan.
Oh ok sorry i think you have her old number
No problem.
Operator of The Penultimate Darkness Pit: Gift Store of the Cavey Cave of Elderly Elders
Exclusive and Singular Seller of The OmniFork!
Fen wrote:Because sometimes one cult is not enough.
Another helpful emoticon: Image Courtesy of yiraheerai

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

See, I have the same phone number since...2003? maybe even earlier. That often lead me to believe that other people also don't change their numbers. (homelines are extinct around here, so most people only use cellphones). This would lead to very awkward circumstances with certain people.
E.g. i was visiting a city and wanted to see a friend who I knew was the type to stay up late. So I called him repeatedly from around 10pm to 3 am. Only at 3 am did I get a text "I don't know who the fuck you want to talk to, but he changed his number". Whoops.

Though we did get a few misdials back in the day, none were particularly interesting or worth talking about. Just people wanting to reach a certain family that had our homeline before...even 5 years after we'd had it they would still call that number.
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

My first cell phone. For about 2 weeks I'd get at least 1 call every day wanting to know if I was the "Ivory Lotus Message Parlor"..... :-\
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

Once I was trying to dial some automat, but instead dialled a friend hotline of the Red Cross. My response? "Oops, sorry, didn't mean to bother you".

Usually, though, misdials find their way to me via a chemicals company named Kemi. At least once a week we get a "Hello, is this Kemi?" Even out of office-hours.
The iceman cometh

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

MuchachoNL, that's an awesome story!! :D

Well, I can't report anything close to that... When I'm at home, I have the habit of answering with "Yes, [Last name]." and that's all. So, often people mistake me for my dad, as it seems we have similar voices. I usually immediately say "No, it's the son speaking." but a few times I continued the charade for a while...

There's this one episode my mom remembers fondly. It must have been a long time ago already, maybe while I was still a teen? A guy wants to speak with "Dr. [Last name]", and I answer "This is the son, PhD title is still in preparation."

Well, not any longer! :D
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

CyanideAngel
Cookie Angel

Post by CyanideAngel »

Ever since I got my phone 2 years ago I've always got 8 or 9 texts per month from an unknown number. some are group messages and some are more personal messages.

Never answered them and yet. the messages are usually responding to a message as if I've sent it.

Eg.

(group message about party)

(personal message)

(reply to a text Ive never sent)

etc etc etc,
Amor vincit omnia Nil illegitimi carborundum Carpe Diem Carpe Noctem
winner of the 2009 cutest forumite contest (females)
Teach's Angel Kitty and assistant giver of hugs

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Sounds like ya got cloned/hacked CA You might wanna see about changing the number.
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.

CyanideAngel
Cookie Angel

Post by CyanideAngel »

It is changing in september. Has never caused any trouble so far so not too bothered.
Amor vincit omnia Nil illegitimi carborundum Carpe Diem Carpe Noctem
winner of the 2009 cutest forumite contest (females)
Teach's Angel Kitty and assistant giver of hugs

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

This is perhaps the place... what do you do when you get a lot of completely silent calls from an unknown source?
The iceman cometh

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Usually, call the phone company and/or the cops In the U.S. It's considered a form of harassment.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Well, but I'm not there, now am I? Also, it is complete silence, I hear not even a breath.
The iceman cometh