The Travelling Forumite

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Re: The Travelling Forumite

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Well... the trip already has quite a story. I was visiting two planned locations in my trip, and on the first leg of it - my car died almost 150 miles shy of my destination. Dead, dead, dead. I'm in a little motel in the middle of nowhere, Kentucky, trying to figure out what to do next.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

:(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Find a wild eyed old man who claims to be a scientist, and jump in his antique car?
:ymhug: good luck sir :ymhug:
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

mac2

Post by mac2 »

Middle of which Nowhere? I might know something about the area.
Yes, it is as bad as you think, and they are out to get you

Everything is significant until proven otherwise.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Aw, DnE :( :ymhug:
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Update -

I'm in a small community called Richmond, Kentucky. It's about 25 miles south of Lexington. I have a room for the night (which includes a complimentary breakfast), and because of the food I was planning on bringing to my destination I had a very rich and tasty dinner of homemade chorizo, homemade salsa, and expensive manchego sheeps milk cheese. I did a bit of research into my situation... and it would cost me $170 to get back to Tampa tomorrow on a bus. OR... I can take a bus to one destination, and the friend there will drive me to the next destination I was going, and I'll take a bus from there back to Tampa for a total $250. I really thought about it, everyone encouraged me to push on, and I figured that if I was in this deep I might as well continue with my vacation.

So oddly, for someone in my position, I'm doing all right. My main problem is going to come when the vacation is over, because I don't have a car and I live 17.5 miles from my work. However, I have family back home looking into vehicle options for me and in the worst case my roomie actually works rather close to where I do - and I'm hoping to get to carpool with him until I save up enough to get a new vehicle. Even if it's a little moped.

Then, there's the long term concern because my roomie is breaking the lease and telling me that I needed to find a place of my own by the end of September. He knows what I'm going through, he's actually amongst those who pushed me to continue through with my vacation. So, what I'm hoping is he'll let me stay at his new house until I "get back onto my feet". Because I think his deal of wanting to get his own place wasn't because he had any problem with me... he just wanted something for himself. But he's not so much of a jerk that he'll force me out on the street after my car dies.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Hope your journey improves and the situation at home can resolve itself somewhat before you get back. :ymhug:
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Seized-up-and-cracked-the-block dead?

Sorry to hear your vacation isn't going well, DnE. :(
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

So, now that I'm home, I can say... this happened. :)

The first forumite meeting of two mods! (Even if I did step down some time ago... stop nit picking!) But Midge and his family was very kind to put me up for the better part of two weeks while I visited Maine, and those parts of the trip were great. It was beautiful country, and I really enjoyed myself. Unfortunately, my own digital camera mysterious died, so the best image I have to share this moment is this image snapped off my iPod. Still, I think you can tell we had a good time.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

But we still want you back as a mod :p
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I am so jealous right now.

TheDude did not even have a birthday party this year. :(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Imma off to Bologna until tomorrow evening, so be good. :P
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

[Whitesnake]Here I Go Again[/Whitesnake]

And now for the Rodina. Moscow... One week...

I hope this trip will not turn out to be a nightmare. :| Russians be a crazy, man.
ImageImage

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Whitesnake... is that an ancient rock band? [/clueless young person question]
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Albuquerque-bound early tomorrow morning. Let's hope I don't take a wrong turn :P

Should have access to internet in the motel, but we're planning on doing stuffs so I don't know how much I'll be on the forum.