The Travelling Forumite

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

GypsyLyric

Re: The Travelling Forumite

Post by GypsyLyric »

Let's see...

I'm originally from Northern California. I was born in Eureka, but for the first 9 years of my life my mother and I traveled and lived anywhere between Crescent City, and San Francisco. I went to Kindergarten at 4 instead of 5, because my birthday is on the cusp of the beginning school year, and since I knew everything already they decided to not have me wait until I was almost 6.

Around the age of 10, my mother's high school friend was pregnant and with her husband in the army. This was around the time they started sending people to Iraq, so we moved up to Lakewood, Washington to be there for support. In the end, we wound up living in Tacoma. We spent six months in each place. I hated it. I was bullied by everyone for being from "The Sunny State". I've never even been to Florida. The kids were stupid. I made no friends at either school. Probably never going back again. Unless it's to get fried cinnamon doughnuts from the mall in Seattle. Onwards.

The summer before I turned 11, we wound up dropping everything to move to Minnesota. Don't ask me why, we basically made a friend who turned out to be a compulsive liar and only wanted us around so that we could be her verbal punching bag. It was a terrible experience. She stole a lot of stuff from us, I have no baby pictures aside from a handful floating around with a few relatives. The cops were called, finally, after about five months of being there. We WERE living in Breckenridge, Minnesota, then ended up moving right next door to Wahpeton, North Dakota. Seriously, Wahp and Breck are separated by a 20 foot bridge. My mom fell in love, got married to this guy. He was originally from Dickinson, so after four years in wahpeton we moved to Dickinson. Stayed there a year, then moved to Bismarck. Let me tell you, living in the Capital of a red state is worse than just living in a general area of a red state. I spent about five-ish years there. It sucked. I went to my twelfth and FINAL school there, dropped out in the first semester of my Jr year, because my teachers didn't like me anyway. Didn't do anything wrong, had a 4.0 average, they basically took one look at the fact that I've been to so many schools, and thought I was some sort of problem child. So I left. My mother didn't judge me, the school in Bismarck is a joke anyway, and I learned more on my own than I did from the new History teacher. I really didn't like my History teacher, she was into favoritism, and I wasn't her favorite, and I was that gay kid in class that hung out with graduated students instead of my own peers, because my own peers were really lacking in... well in every area. My class was dumb, they cheated off my homework, and made for really lazy conversation. Seriously, I wonder how none of the teachers picked up on the waves of idiocy and bimboness.

After I dropped out, I tried to get into a couple other High Schools, but they did the same thing. Took one look at my "history", and even though it was still the beginning of the school year, every place we went to mysteriously had no openings for a new student. Information on whatever scores I made on my S.A.T. were also mysteriously gone. I hate school. I love to learn, but I've been to and seen it all. I hate school. Maybe college will be better, maybe. I sure as hell am never stepping into another American school again, that's for sure. The systems here are pathetic. You wanna know what "no child left behind" really means? It means that the kids that are actually smart, and bored, and lacking stimulation from their "regular" leveled class are no longer looked into. They look at your grades, see that they're low, think that you're stupid, so they put you in a "lower" level class. In truth, it's set the smart kids back, smothered them with a pillow, treated them like they're stupid and won't amount to anything. In the mean time, the people who stick through to graduation, are the same people who are actually the ones lacking, and had to cheat on everything so that they could get into a sports college, and maybe later play for the big leagues. The people that bet on the things like NFL and basically any American league sport you fancy, role in laughter while they rake in the dough, and filter what athletes get in to what college. You think I'm joking? HA! I don't joke about knowledge.

After I dropped out, I started working a number of different jobs. Over time, I became a jack of all trades. Seriously, I can do anything, and if I don't k ow how I guarantee I'll come out head in my class. I don't work anymore though. I've decided to focus more on my art, after all that IS the career that I want. So... so lots of practice and patience.

Eventually, I made a crazy friend online. Big mistake. We started dating. She came up here for a few months, then I went down with her to Oklahoma. Technically, we lived in Kansas for two months before living in Oklahoma. We were engaged. She fucked with the wrong persons head. I left abruptly with my things, and few little trinkets (like FFVII, and the pipe her dad gave us). I found myself back in Bismarck, living with my mother and step father. Step dad is now out of the picture. He pushed me twice, I cold cocked him once, he was a danger, so divorce. There's a lot of complicated issues that I'm not going to get into, but now we're back in Fargo/Moorhead area, which is about an hour away from the Wahp/Breck area. Been here for two months.

The actual traveling part? I've been everywhere. California, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, Nevada, Colorado, Wyoming, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Kentucky, and about everywhere in between. The only places in the states that I haven't been is like Hawaii and Alaska, the deep south, and up around New York. I don't like New York. I'm sure it's nice, but there's this thing about Californian people being in the same room with a New Yorker. We'll either be buddies, or we'll end up killing each other. So uh... I've never actually gotten along with many New Yorker, it doesn't work, I just sort of stay away. I have a friend from Main though, she's cool, so are the people I know from Canada. I've never left the States, but gods do I want to, I'm not cut out to be an American. American citizens just want different things than I do. Like, we move out at 18, go to college, get into extreme debt, raise kids, live a crappy life with a crappy house and an even crappier job. It's soul sucking, I want no part of it. I'm making plans to move to the UK, aiming for London, and I plan on changing citizenship.
Rawr means I love you in Zombie.

Nev

Post by Nev »

Well, hey. Here's a fun thread.

I'm not the most well traveled person, but one thing I can say is that I started trotting the globe way back in the womb. My mother fled Turkey when she was pregnant, she sought asylum here in the Netherlands. I think I was about seven when we started visiting Turkey again on a yearly basis. That lasted until the end of elementary school, there was no budget permitting regular travel afterwards - especially since I insisted money go to things like guitar lessons (which then I quit like an idiot at seventeen).

Still had school trips, though. Germany - Cologne's Weihnachtsmarkt, the archaeological park in Xanten. Cambridge - I ended up sneaking off with an internet buddy. Rome - eight boss-as-hell days of it for classical studies.

Ever since graduating, or to put it more accurately, kind of gracelessly belly-flopping over the finish line of high school, I haven't traveled as often. I have, however, traveled more awesomely. The odd family trip to Germany aside, I've been getting acquainted with Turkey again. I visited New York for two months last summer to stay with my girlfriend. I forgot a number of things in packing for the trip back - like an embarrassing number of panties, my iPod, and my heart. She sent me back the iPod by mail, the heart and the panties will probably never leave New York again.

That's about the extent of it. I'm twenty-two, I still have a ridiculous amount of places left to see. More than anything, I'd like to spend a while in China, teaching English and polishing up my Mandarin. I want to vacation in Puerto Rico, I want to see Vienna and Paris and a host of other places that are far too cultured for a barbarian like me. And finally, I'm not planning to visit New York again, I'm planning to make it my home.

thaldin

Post by thaldin »

Thread revival! I am in Belfast, NI for a week on business! Yay for company paid travel

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Lucky bastard. Have an Old Bushmills for me.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

TheDude
Resident Redhead

Post by TheDude »

I'll be in London on July 6th attending Bitter Ruin's London Listening Party - incidentally I have a spare ticket for that, if anyone's interested, let me know! (If you don't know, what I'm talking about, give there kickstarter a look. It's already over, but it contains the information.)

The weekend after that I'll be in Brighton attending the Amanda Palmer concert. If any of you should happen to fancy a meeting, I'd be up for a pint or two.
"Time spent in happy delusion is never wasted." Frazz by Jef Mallet

"We fear change." Garth Algar

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Going to Dallas on Wed and I'm not sure when we'll return, other than it being toward the weekend. It was a toss up between San Antonio and Dallas but, really, as soon as I saw Dallas had this, it was a no-brainer. :-B
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Safe trips to the both of you.

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

thaldin

Post by thaldin »

Azrael wrote:Lucky bastard. Have an Old Bushmills for me.
Done!

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Good man. :D

thaldin

Post by thaldin »

And my time in Northern Ireland is at an end. Tomorrow I fly back home all day to Seattle.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

i heard summer there is blazingly hot.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Heading on a serious road trip... will be gone for two weeks, and my ability to sign on to the board should be iffy. However, once I've returend from this mystery location, I plan to post a fun pic or two that will surprise people. :)

The down side is I was planning on driving at night, as my destination is very long drive away, and today has been unbearably hot and made it difficult for me to sleep through the day. As in, I should be asleep right now. :| I'm concerned just how much coffee I'm going to have to consume on this drive.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Safe trip! :ymhug:
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Safe travels and fun times, DnE. :D

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Looking forward to your travel stories!!!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)