To Be....Or Not To Be!

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Babs

To Be....Or Not To Be!

Post by Babs »

So I looked through the discussion boards only to realise......there is no theatre thread! I wanna hear stories about any of our theatre going folks, whether you've been in any plays as an actor (or even stage crew). What plays have you seen/ would like to see? I wanna know! :p

Right now, I'm on a huge Les Miserables kick. I have yet to see it but I already know the songs ( youtube helps - lookup valjean quartet, you won't be disappointed!) I have "bring him home" stuck in my head as we speak. I hope I get a chance to see it live one day. The only major play I can say i ve gone to is Wicked which was amazing. Worth it if you have the opportunity.
:D :D :D

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: To Be....Or Not To Be!

Post by Artemisia »

I have the second encore from the 10th anniversary Les Miz show on my iPod. That's the one where the various ValJean's sing in their native languages.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Babs

Post by Babs »

Thats awesome, I totally need to see that!

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

I haven't seen Wicked, but i love the soundtrack/songs from it and listened to it alot. Same with Phantom of the Opera.

I haven't really been in the theater much, only a few times, in the far past. The only name that comes to my mind at the moment is the Treasure Island, though i might have Les Miserables i just don't remember anything of it. 8-| :p
Last edited by TellusEidolon on Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I was in The Hobbit during my Junior year. Originally, I was going to be doing backstage stuff, like helping to build and paint parts of the set but one of the girls either had to move or dropped out of the class right as I was moving back to New Mexico (spent the winter in Wyoming. Do not want EVER AGAIN), so I got the minor part of Kili. I had one line and a fight with my best friend who played an orc. That was one of the best semesters I had in high school.

Haven't really seen any plays for the same reason I don't see movies on the Big Screen anymore- can't understand them. I do have the Chicago soundtrack, though. I would LOVE to get RHPS.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

Back in elementary school, I was always tasked with being the narrator for the traditional christmas play, as we'd play Luke's gospel. It is impressive, considering I did it while 6, 7 and 8, but then again, I started reading early.
The iceman cometh

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I was actually an acting geek in high school. :-B It's funny how it all started... my family had just moved (Again! It was the third time in three years) and as I signing up for classes I happened to notice a really cute girl to my right signing up for Drama classes in 4th period. So when I had a chance to pick my electives, I mentioned "I saw that there's a Drama class... maybe I can take that for my 4th period?" :)) My father complimented my hound dog skills, but it was all for nothing. I got placed in the other Drama class that period. =))

I took Drama from 8th grade to senior year, and I was always the main supporting actor because of my knack for accents. It wasn't until I got my first role as a villain that I really started having fun. The name of the play was "The Infanta", and I was Lord Severe DeCompagne. I had so much fun being an arrogant ass. :ymdevil: It was only then that my teachers started to cast me in the starring roles. I've been Romeo, a certain leading character in "The Scottish Play", and Kenickie in "Grease". My last time on stage... I actually wasn't on stage, but I had a major role in the play. It was a one-act called "This Is a Test", where I was backstage voicing the thoughts of the main character into a microphone.

Drama has helped me quite a bit. I used to be even more introverted, and I had this thick South Philadelphia accent. Drama forced me to get up on stage, and have a bit of fun exploring facets of myself I might not have otherwise ventured towards. It also forced me to speak clearer and ennunciate, which has stayed with me so much that I'm constantly told that I should get into voice acting or doing commercials.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I've never done well with acting. My favorite thing, though, is to get up on stage and storytell. I did that for the first time two years ago. I love it :)
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

This is supposed to be the theater thread, but so far, most people seem to be talking about musicals. :P

If you do wanna speak of musicals, I love Jesus Christ Superstar. I've seen it live twice, once a loong time ago in Trier, and maybe five, six years ago in, I think Kaiserslautern. A good friend of my mom was singing in the choir, and Andy Kuntz (singer of German prog metal band Vanden Plas as well as boss of the defunct Abydos project) was supposed to sing Judas!! :D
Yeah, well, then someone else took the role, AND we left shortly after the end of the show because my mom's friend's kid was getting really tired... :| No chance to fanboy it with Kuntz... =((

Other than that, theater to me is more along the lines of plays, or even full sclae opera. Annnd. I'm not really a fan of either, I confess. One operetta I have seen at least twice and really love is Johann Strauss' Die Fledermaus! It can be quite hilarious, with parts of the dialogue, especially that of jailer Frosh, not being fixed. since I saw it in Trier, they made a lot of jokes about the political landscape and the football team and stuff like that. :))

I haven't really seen a lot of plays... One really funny one that I loved was "The Complete Works of Shakespeare, Slightly Abridged".

Finally, in terms of real opera... I've seen quite a few, but most during my childhood. I recall - shuddering - a terribly modern staging of Fidelio... :ymsick: Earlier last decade, I saw Das Rheingold and Die Walküre, the first two parts of Wagner's Ring of the Nibelungs cycle, in Cologne, but did not have time to see Siegfried and Die Götterdämmerung...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

MerchManDan
Nerd-At-Large (Mostly Harmless)

Post by MerchManDan »

The only musical I've ever attended was Hedwig & The Angry Inch, when I volunteered for the Fringe Festival. As such, I also saw The One-Man Star Wars Trilogy (AWESOME!!) and a bunch of other plays, the names of which I cannot recall right now. As a common theatre-goer, I've seen The Secret Life Of Punch & Judy, which was pretty damned good, and....um...some other plays. That again, I cannot recall. :-s But I did see them, I swear!!
My point is, I enjoy some good theatre once in a while. And I even acted back in high school, too; I was Henry in Frankenstein. Died at the end, oh yeah. :-bd
Operator of The Penultimate Darkness Pit: Gift Store of the Cavey Cave of Elderly Elders
Exclusive and Singular Seller of The OmniFork!
Fen wrote:Because sometimes one cult is not enough.
Another helpful emoticon: Image Courtesy of yiraheerai