Childhood Occurances/ Stories

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

EdenNamir
Location: On Dart Sureblade's Lap, Singing of a day when we will have many children.

Childhood Occurances/ Stories

Post by EdenNamir »

Just as Asaryu and I were posting in the "Pictures" thread about what happened in our child hood. I thought "why not go ahead and make a thread so EVERYONE can say what happened as a child"

What do you guys think?
Now I have a RPG site called Haven For Role Playing. join if you wish.^_^
"To know ones self is to know true knowledge" ~ Kristina Roby

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Re: Childhood Occurances/ Stories

Post by Asaryu »

Sounds like a good idea to me.

When I was little I used to be terrified of fireworks. I would curl into a ball and cry and scream. At first it was because of the noise, but then it took on a more sinister tone when I was about 5 or 6. The only fireworks I knew about were the ones at New Years Eve or other special occasions. So when my mother read out of the paper that a girl had been killed by a firework, I thought that these shiny, noisy events were a deathtrap. I didn't know why my family would want me to go to something that was bound to kill someone. I remember walking around on New Years Eve with my mum, looking for stray dead bodies from the killer celebrations. I didn't mention it at all until last year. My mother had always been curious why I would crawl underneath things whenever there were fireworks.

[Edit: :p Don, I beat you to the first post!]
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

When I was little I was pretty fearless :)) I used to get in trouble for talking to people I shouldn't be. Once when we were in Vancouver, my mom freaked out because she realized I'd been missing for about 10 minutes. I had ran off and made friends with a hobo. I had given him my full name, address, favourite colour, the fact I really wanted a pony...

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

I saw my grandmother's ghost when she died, and she died about 2,000 KM away.

A friend from Indonesia didn't see white people until she went to the zoo around age six. Somehow she and her sister had the idea that white people would eat them. So their parents took them to the city, to the zoo, and when they saw white people, they started screaming and crying.
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

My favorite memory as a child involved a simple quirk of geography, rather than something someone bought for me. It was the apple tree that grew in my backyard.

I loved this tree. I would climb it nearly every day, where its criss-crossing limbs made several comfortable seats for me and my brothers. I often sat up near the top with one of my favorite books during the Summer. I think it was because of this tree that I realized I had the tendency of many people of Native American descent to be completely unafraid of heights. It would grow gala apples that while they weren't very large, were the sweetest I've ever tasted.

There was one time when I had deliberately forgotten to do some chores as a child, and climbed up the apple tree to hide from my mother and read a bit more. Well, she eventually found me after an hour and insist that I come down that instant. Sitting about twenty feet up, I said "okay"... and jumped off the branch. I landed flat on my feet, didn't hurt myself in the least, but I scared my Mom so badly that she forgot to yell at me. Just pushed me to finish my chores.

Yes, I was Evil even as a child. :ymdevil:
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus
Purveyor of Puggles

Post by Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus »

Let's see....

When I was little (8 or so) I was terrified of escalators. One time my mom and sister and I were at the mall (she must have been holding my sister or something) and she went down the escalator, only to realize a quarter of the way down that I was still standing at the top floor :)) Luckily a nice old lady took my hand and went down with me, and handed me off to my mom at the bottom...haha.

We had a swingset in our backyard and one of my favorite things to do was swing really high, and then jump off at a certain point to land on the ground. One time I didn't land right, so when I hit the ground I did something to my hips/backbone XD plus I think it knocked the wind out of me...anyway, I remember laying there croaking out "go get mom" to my sister, who still laughs about it to this day :))

Then there was the time I got my hair tangled in my mom's rosebush. I don't even know what I was doing in it/under it :-\

I used to like to play in the woods behind our house. One day I was walking around on a log with a friend and we both fell off it into what turned out to be a big patch of poison ivy...except she got it and I didn't since apparently I'm immune =))

...I think my childhood can be summed up in one word: tomboy :|
R.I.P. Don Alexander/Dr. David "Alex" Alexander Kann, 2/15/77-3/10/23 :( I'll never forget you or all the good times we had.

"Look up. The stars are shining for you."

Owner and Manager of McLovecraft's; Zany Genius Inventor of Ichory Delights

<3 PRIDE IN THY PUGGLES! <3

me: I remember biting Teach in the ass...
DA: We remember the REALLY important things.

Became Mrs. SP on 10/16/10 <3 :D

Now with mini Puggles! (as in babies) I have two boys, ages 7 and 4 :)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Hm, at the moment, I can't think of like, the great childhood story... Just smaller things.

I was a mud magnet!! If there was mud, it mysteriously accumulated in copious layers upon my clothing and my body!! :D

Deep in the valley where I live, roughly two miles from home, there's a place where they often dumped dirt from diggings. Me and my dad often went up there to look for Roman stuff. From the big trucks, there were some deep ruts, and after a nice rain, these turned into big puddles, muddy, impossible to gauge their depth. And one day, up there, I stumbled and fell into one of those ruts, getting totally drenched. It wasn't exactly summer, IIRC, so I grew cold quickly. Me and my dad rushed home, almost running the whole way. At home, I got a hot shower, and fell into my bed, going asleep immediately. O:-)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

Looking at my childhood, it's something of a miracle I'm alive.

I took at least two major blows to the head as a child - the first, slipping on stone steps, required surgery* and left a small star-shaped scar between my eyebrows; the second, getting hit in the face with a wooden swing, required no surgery and left no permanent mark, but I was out cold for the better part of a day. Also, I developed an irrational fear and hatred of the swing in question that persists to this day.

I also took a good blow to the face as an infant which destroyed the budding front teeth, so I have no memory of having top front teeth until I was about 11 and the adult set grew in.

I also fell out of a car moving at highway speeds once. Suffered no actual injuries.

I'm sure many people would say this explains some things.

* While I don't believe in NDEs, I did experience the phenomenon during this surgery - I just interpret it as a dream.
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

I don't have many funny stories. I was a pageant kid until about age 6, which, according to my mom, is when the scene started to become a lot of piranhas parading their little girls in dresses. I have about 300 trophies. :D

Maybe I should have used that in the Cutest Forumite contest?
ImageHEAD TECHNOLOGIST and GUARDIAN OF THE "THRONE".Image

CHIEF PROPHET OF CACAO, THE LORD AND GOD OF CHOCOLATIANITY

FSU Class of 2014!
Ailith wrote:Yes, it was intimate, it was passionate, it was sensual, and it ended with a few orgasms. So yeah, counts as sex to me.

JTHomeslice

Post by JTHomeslice »

A lamp fell and split open my head when I was 3. I had to get like 25 stitches. Good times.

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

Lilianna wrote:I don't have many funny stories. I was a pageant kid until about age 6, which, according to my mom, is when the scene started to become a lot of piranhas parading their little girls in dresses. I have about 300 trophies. :D

Maybe I should have used that in the Cutest Forumite contest?
Hehe. I was the opposite. I think my mum would have liked that... she had me in ballet. But I was more the sort of little girl who dressed up for Halloween as Dracula. I didn't do the girly stuff well :D

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

Kamino Neko wrote:Looking at my childhood, it's something of a miracle I'm alive.
I, too, am lucky to be alive. Long, quite alienating story behind it, but lets just say that other than my brother, all of my direct relatives have had a go at trying to kill me at least once. None have yet succeeded. I win.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I grew up with an older brother who's two years my senior, but he was a bit of a smaller kid... as a child, I was the solidly built one. When I was 4 and he was 6, I was actually half an inch taller than him.

One day at school, I was playing in the sandbox when I noticed another kid push him harshly to the ground. I rushed over to my brother, seeing if he was okay and what happened. He didn't really want to talk about it, and told me not to worry about it. But I wasn't happy with that, he was my brother! So I went up to the kid in question, and balling up my fist I threw my first punch. I even had my fingers wrapped around my thumb, so I did it wrong. Hurt my thumb, but knocked the kid down with one hit.

Well, the kid in question came over with a teacher a little bit later. I was warned off, but the principle was notified and once I got home he called and spoke to my Dad. My Dad was a scary S.O.B., a six foot two half-Cherokee who has punched through walls when he was angry. Well, my Dad listened to the principle, asked both my brother John and myself into the kitchen and asked us to explain what happened.

When I told him what I did, and why I did it he paused... and I swear, I almost saw a tear in his eye. "Chris, I don't condone violence. But I can't punish you for standing up for your brother, either." And while he didn't say it, it was perhaps the one time I really knew he was proud of me.

Funny epilogue? I can't stand either the brother in question or my father any more. :))
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

EdenNamir
Location: On Dart Sureblade's Lap, Singing of a day when we will have many children.

Post by EdenNamir »

I actually don't know what to put. I had SO many to put down when i started this thread and now im kinda like.. where do I start?

so heres one randomly selected.

When i was 4 (just 2 months before we left Hawaii) My parents had to go to this military ball thing (can't remember what it was for... just something big though that they HAD to attend or he got in trouble) and so I had to spend the night at my best friends house (have a lot to say about her.. wish i could find her haven't seen her since i left) and it was my VERY first night away from home. we played all day in her sandbox (just actually a dirt hole int he ground with more dirt....... and a little bit of sand thrown in) and then about 6 ish we went and took a bath together and then were fed and about 9 ish we were put to bed ( but we stayed up till like midnight playing :P we were kids what d you expect?) well, I'd say it was about 1 ish, (believe it or not i remember this better than my parents...) when everyone was asleep and it finally dawns on me that im not going home. I had a panic attack because no one has explained this to me. and all the adults in the house and my best friend had already gone to sleep. I tried to wake them up but no one would wake up. So i quietly unlocked the door and walked the mile and a half home (don't remember much of the walk just remember being terrified and it being dark and a few dogs chasing me and be getting lost for a bit) anyways i make it home but i couldn't get in. thankfully we always left the living room window open a little. I somehow got the screen off (destroyed it though) and got inside and the doors in our house all had locks on them. and guess what, all but the kitchen door was locked, so i went into the kitchen and because i was hearing scary sounds outside i crawled between the wall and the refrigerator. and i guess i finally passed out because the next thing i hear is my mom and dad yelling. I opened my eyes and looked around the edge of the frig. and my dad had the phone to his ear and was yelling in it about how that person could have lost something so easy to watch. I didn't understand it at the time but i coward away from my parents (it was the first time he EVER yelled in front of me) and further back against the wall trying to make myself look smaller. and then i fell asleep again. (or at least everything went black) and i woke up in my dads arms. him crying and my mom sobbing in the chair next to him. I asked whats wrong and they said they had been looking for me since 3 in the morning and it was approximately 8 in the morning then. that my dad and went to make coffee and when he went to get the milk he saw something behind the refrigerator. and they said that my dad just grabbed me up and started to cry with relief. Needless to say i was never allowed to spend the night over there again....

Sorry this is so long... but meh i thought you might as well understand what was going on right?
Now I have a RPG site called Haven For Role Playing. join if you wish.^_^
"To know ones self is to know true knowledge" ~ Kristina Roby

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

All of this should probably go under the Anecdotes thread.... but I'm too lazy to move it for now.