Realm of the undead

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Realm of the undead

Post by Iceman »

Have any of you died? If so, how was it?
This thread is meant for the few of us that have died, yet still somehow roam the planet.
The iceman cometh

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Re: Realm of the undead

Post by TellusEidolon »

*Gasps!* The living dead are amoung us! Barriacade your houses and get the guns!

>.>
<.<

Though seriousily, i first thought this was something related to D&D or another fantasy setting when i read the title.
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

Hey! No hating. I think it's not infective. 8-X
The iceman cometh

TellusEidolon

Post by TellusEidolon »

Back to back, belly to belly. It's a zombie jamboree \:d/

Edit: >.> sorry, couldn't resist. To be on topic, ..never experienced that.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Let's hope you won't. It's not as fun as it sounds, at least in my experience.
The iceman cometh

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Never actually been declared dead and came back. There's a few "just a few inches/minutes" and things would have turned ugly stories. Sorry you've had that experience though, Iceman. :ymhug:
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Well, Yira, that counts as well. I haven't either been officially declared deceased, but there's a few times when I got within a day of it.
*Shudders*
The iceman cometh

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Most of mine involve nearly drowning. Like when I was 3 and waiting for my brother in a motel in Nevada. I jumped into the pool and just sunk to the bottom. I actually remember trying to walk before my dad noticed and picked me up. I was just like :D?

My cousin threw me off his shoulders in the river once. There's an island with little cement steps around it and I nearly cracked my head on one of those, then I couldn't find my way to the surface because the water was so murky. I had to feel by hand- that's how I knew I had nearly hit my head in the first place.

And there's being in a truck rolling toward the highway. Alone and with no idea how to stop it at the time. My mother had to race to get in and stop it.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Ugh... that's quite something. All my experiences involve the hospital. First in 1990, I was nearly offed by a heat stroke - shot up to ca. 42°C+. Luckily, I don't remember that so well. Then, in 1998, I got myself appendicitis, but the doc didn't believe, so he sent me home. Later I showed up with a burst appendix and severe peritonitis. And finally, last november, I almost died of Addisonian crisis. I know I was almost there because the GP I had visited (not my usual one) called and said: Be at the hospital, yesterday!

Made me wonder how many lives one has, and of the undead.
The iceman cometh

TellusEidolon

Post by TellusEidolon »

@Yira: Oh, does that count? ..well then i've experienced it. I almost drowned as child in my grandparents swimmingpool, feel into it near the stairs and sank to the bottom.. luckily my grandfather was there to pull me up. (was back in the late 80's or early 90's..don't remember...)

In the mid 90's i was almost bitten by a venomous viper (or so i was told, didn't see it myself.. i was walking on a small fence at the side of the road when i was pulled away)... didn't think more over it other than later and ever since i've been scared by snakes. (if i see one in the tv, in a video or photo it' can be on my mind for days, and my vivid imagination and paranoia will imagine seeing snakes where i am or when i lay down to sleep [not nightmares, ..just imaginations right before i fall asleep] ). :-ss :-ss

ExplodingJoe
Hair-Triggered

Post by ExplodingJoe »

I've had a few illnesses that've gotten me close. Rest asured, I'd be dead if not for modern medicine. However, Epilepsy has made sure my memories of childhood experiences are spotty and disjointed at best.
"If you aren't gonna say exactly how and what you feel, you might as well not say anything at all." ~ Johnny Cash
"Remember, a dead fish can float downstream, but it takes a live one to swim upstream." ~ W. C. Fields

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

*Plays appropriate themed music.*

I came more than a little bit close to dying from drowing like many of us here, it seems. I've shared this story on the forum before (egads - was it actually YEARS ago?) about nearly drowning as a child in a lake. I was 4 years old, and didn't know how to swim. My mother was there with myself and my brother, and another mother happened to be there with her son and daughter so between the four kids the fact that I went missing for a few minutes wasn't immediately noticed. I was near the shore, but I was curious about a tree that was actually growing with its roots in the water. What I didn't know was that there was a deep hollow in the water around its roots, and by stepping closer I stepped into very deep water and was instantly submerged. I remember the sound of the water, hearing what I thought was the distant roar of the waterfall on the far side of the lake. I had already choked a deep mouthful of water and was drifting away from shore. It was too deep for my feet to reach the bottom, and as I said I couldn't swim. I was panicking, because I knew even at 4 that I was about to die. That's when I saw in the murky water ahead of me something flicker. Then it flickered into sight again, and I saw it was a foot! Desperately, I reached out and grabbed a hold of it. It was the girl who was there as well, and she started yelling at me for grabbing at her even as I managed to break the surface coughing and sputtering. I choked that I was too deep, and she begrudgingly helped me closer to shore until I could touch bottom. My mother seemed to see what was going on finally, and hurried out to understand what went on. Now, this all happened very quickly - perhaps two or three minutes from the time I stepped into the hollow of water until I made it to shore. Still, I was shaking and freaked out with my chest burning from the water I'd swallowed.

... I'm only just thinking on it now, but I'm wondering if this experience dulled me a bit to the anxiety of other dangerous situations. Because I've had a junky hold a gun to my head while working at a convenience store and I've faced down a drunk with a knife before, and I didn't become worried once in other circumstance. Huh. Something to ponder over.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

ExplodingJoe wrote:I've had a few illnesses that've gotten me close. Rest asured, I'd be dead if not for modern medicine. However, Epilepsy has made sure my memories of childhood experiences are spotty and disjointed at best.
Ah Epilepsy. Rest in Peace Kasey =((

A friend of mine also had her son die in circumstances similar to yours, DnE.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

When I was born, my umbilical cord was wrapped around my throat and I had apparently been without oxygen for long enough that there is some residual brain damage. I was not declared dead, though. I apparently was fairly close from what I've been told. Sometimes I wonder if that's why I've felt for a long time like two separate people.

My mother was a lot closer. She had her appendix out when she was very young, and the stitches dissolved before she healed, and she nearly bled out.

Most of my near death stuff was my own doing. Mostly pulling back before I did something like throw myself off a building. I had a lot of suicidal thoughts growing up.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus
Purveyor of Puggles

Post by Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus »

@Art: My sister was also born that way, the nurse managed to completely freak out my mom by telling her she was blue :| Luckily they did....something...and she was ok.

I never had any near drowning accidents due to my fear of water as a child :p I didn't completely learn to swim until I was 10.

The closest thing I can think of is when I was playing in the woods behind our old house when I was younger, and slipped and almost fell off a cliff-type thing into the creek below....not sure how that would have ended especially since I couldn't swim at the time :-s Luckily the friend I was playing with managed to grab my hand as I was sliding.
R.I.P. Don Alexander/Dr. David "Alex" Alexander Kann, 2/15/77-3/10/23 :( I'll never forget you or all the good times we had.

"Look up. The stars are shining for you."

Owner and Manager of McLovecraft's; Zany Genius Inventor of Ichory Delights

<3 PRIDE IN THY PUGGLES! <3

me: I remember biting Teach in the ass...
DA: We remember the REALLY important things.

Became Mrs. SP on 10/16/10 <3 :D

Now with mini Puggles! (as in babies) I have two boys, ages 7 and 4 :)