Random Advice thread.

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Re: Random Advice thread.

Post by Fen »

You should see fino-hungaric languages then. At least scandinavian languages make sense.

Though i never did understand why scandinavians have a slavic curse word.
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Finnish language is worse than icelandic. :p
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

Non Indo-European languages are all worse than Indo-European languages. This is fact.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

It depends, actually. Sure, non-roman alphabet once seem like living hell due to the unfamiliarness, but once you get past that all languages are pretty much equally difficult. Sure, some are easier than other from certain points of view, and languages from the same root are easier to learn, but there's no such thing as an "easy" language.

And hungarian really is messed up. I learned basic japanese in a month, yet after 5 years of living in a Hungarian region I STILL can't pronounce or spell anything. I learned of the dogolj meg(no accents since I suck at those) insult when I was 15, for example. I am 21 now and I STILL cannot pronounce it right enough for anyone to understand me.

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

The Roman alphabet doesn't have anything to do with the language, though. There are Indo-European languages that don't use it (like Russian, Greek, Armenian, Farsi and Hindi) and non Indo-European languages that do (like Finnish, Turkish, Swahili, Basque and Hungarian).

I was just engaging in light-hearted language family faux-chauvinism.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

True, my bad:P. But generally roman alphabets tend to make things easier.
Ah, basque. The language with the many Xs. Another weird one. Sad region, though.

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

Fen wrote:Though i never did understand why scandinavians have a slavic curse word.
Which is that?
The iceman cometh

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

Sweden has fought multiple wars with Poland and with Russia over the course of its history. Assuming Swedish is the Scandinavian language being talked about here, I can see it picking up a curse word from one of the other.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

Fy Fan :p they have it in Norwegian as well.

It's funny because Romanian is the only latin language to have that idea (my cock as a cuss). All the slavic slanguages have ma hui as the equivalent, though.

And Polish has the word branza as a word for a type of cheese....branza is a Romanian word. Apparently we had Romanian shepherds immigrate there a while ago, and the word caught on. Very funny.

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

Erm... Fen, that's Nordic. The Danes have it as "for fanden" and it means "for the devil" literally.
The iceman cometh

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

o.O.

That's what I get for hanging out with Norwegian class guys. Damn.

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

Advice: do not buy a book you can easily read within the space of two hours. Quickest read ever, and it cost me $8.
ImageHEAD TECHNOLOGIST and GUARDIAN OF THE "THRONE".Image

CHIEF PROPHET OF CACAO, THE LORD AND GOD OF CHOCOLATIANITY

FSU Class of 2014!
Ailith wrote:Yes, it was intimate, it was passionate, it was sensual, and it ended with a few orgasms. So yeah, counts as sex to me.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

I'm still not going to return any of the Harry Potter books....
The iceman cometh

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

When your dad asks if he can have some of your ice cream, SAY NO. He will eat it. All of it. Even though you're sure you had at least half a carton left.

My ice cream! D:
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »