Random Advice thread.

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: Random Advice thread.

Post by Artemisia »

I understand. I'm slightly germ-phobic. At the same time, being out depends on the circumstances. Too much noise scares me. Too many men scare me. If I'm trapped in among the stacks with a guy nearby, I try to find someplace else to be. At the grocery store, I always try to find a cashier who is a woman. The last time a guy hit on me it was so awful a feeling because I got so scared when he touched me on the arm that, as soon as he was gone, i ran to the bathroom of the laundrymat and scrubbed the spot he touched until the skin was raw. i mean, I do say that I have S.A.D., but it's kind of gradiated. I'm scared of other women, but can get over that rather fast. Men, it takes a very long time before I feel comfortable to be around any guy.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

TheDude
Resident Redhead

Post by TheDude »

DnE,
for a brief moment I was wondering why you'd turn into a German-o-phobe (unpleasant experiences with German tourists? An aversion against our chancellor's inept handling of the Euro crisis?) but then I read your post properly and decided that silly posts while commuting to work on a Friday morning are a nice way to spend the time - which accidentally is my random advice for today. :D
"Time spent in happy delusion is never wasted." Frazz by Jef Mallet

"We fear change." Garth Algar

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

TheDude - =))

That's hilarious! Especially because I'm strongly of German descent, my family proud of their Bavarian heritage. ;) I'm afraid of myself!
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

Wouldn't that be Teutonophobia? Just thinking. But, I think Germans make the nicest tourists... at least they leave tip... ;)
The iceman cometh

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

never underestimate the power of an angry woman, and never get in between two angry women if you value your life and sanity.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

OK, then just keep me away from encountering the paranormal mystery squad. :p ;) I am prone to getting on people's wrong side....
The iceman cometh

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Asaryu wrote:When you're sitting in your book-less apartment and you think "Man...netflix is great...I wonder if there's a similar system for books" remember:

YOU are the reason libraries are closing.
And YOU are the reason the movie industry has it hard. :p Buy the dvds instead of using netflix or download them. [-X :-w

>_>
<_<

Just teasing ya. ;) 8-}

As for the reason i don't use libraries... well i hate crowds and i prefer buying my books. :p

I'm very protective of my books and hate to see how some books in a library has been treated by other people. :-L Plus, the smell of a new book is soothing. There is nothing quite like it. :D
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Yeah I tend to buy my books, read them a dozen or so times then drop them off at the annual book sale, then look for intresting stuff there, like an (Obviously well used) encyclopedia of "Faerie" type creatures...never thought I'd see that here in Bible-belt-hell.

Oh I'm supposed to post advice? Never let a ferret get into your coffee X_X
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

When there's a show called "Too Cute" and you think you can handle it? You can't.

ITTY BITTY KITTY IN A GLASS BOWL. *nearly explodes from suppressed squee* :YMDAYDREAM:

LESS THAN 8 WEEKS OLD KITTIES PLAYING.

*flails at cuteness*
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

GLASS BOWLS?! *lynx runs off before frena appears*
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Recca
Hokage Ninja

Post by Recca »

When writing a novel, do NOT go back to fix things til AFTER you're done the first sweep. If you go back to fix things first you'll never finish it.

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

Can't help it. If I make a plotting change that needs to have changes made to earlier parts of the story, those changes are gonna get made, finished or not.
I think outside the tesseract.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

If you like your nectarines rock-hard (like me) and you have bought such ones, but don't get around to eating them immediately, put them in the icebox, that will keep them from going soft for at least another day.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Been there, done that. No, really.
The iceman cometh