Insults in Foreign Langauges 101

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Engy

Re: Insults in Foreign Langauges 101

Post by Engy »

If you ask me, Dutch doesn't have many good swearwords.
A small list:
Kanker (Literally cancer, but people use it in a fashion similar to shit)
Idioot (idiot)
Klootzak (Literally nutsack)
Lul (dick)
Droplul (Drop is a type of candy, similar to liquorice. That makes it dropdick or liquoricedick. Not so much used for insulting, more along the lines of nutjob)
Nicht (comparable to faggot, but can only be used towards guys, since it also means female cousin)
Tering (another disease)
Hoer (whore)
Trut (bitch)
Teef (bitch)
Eikel (prick)
Tief op (fuck off)
Dombo (dumb person)

These are the only ones I can come up with within 5 minutes. Might post more in the near future.
Achievement Hunter, Software Engineer, retired competitive Team Fortress 2 Engineer, professional snarker.

MrBishop

Post by MrBishop »

French swearing is getting more Americanized...that is, translations of English words to mimic English swearing. Most original swearing (French) in Quebec is religious.

French - literal - actual
Tabarnak - tabernacle - fuck
Crist - Christ - damn
Hostie - host - *fuck

Mon hostie'd criss de tabarnak - my host of the christ of the tabernacle = Motherfucker! :)

Favorites of 'anglicisms' heard often
"Mange d'la marde" Eat shit
"Escpèce de pute" - you whore
"Va dont chier" - Go shit

Funny enough...the English word "Fuck" isn't as hard hitting here. If something is fucké - it's broken. You might hear it in Eaton's, in the makeup section coming from a 60yr old woman "Hé Giselle...la caisse est fucké" - Hey Giselle, the cash register is broken"
Midnight's Lair: RPG talk: http://midnightslair.com/forum/
Playing it loud: Musical conversation: http://www.playingitloud.com

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

My mom used to work at this huge, international company once. There was a meeting wih most of the big guys(out of which maybe 2-3 were Romanian) and she got into an argument. Which ended in.
"BINE MA, FAC EU"(Ok, I'll do it!)
read *gibberish*fuck you.

needless to say, by the time she realised why she got all the dirty looks it was too late to explain.
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

VerylastthreadofGDresurrect!!!!! :D

I was just reminded of a nice one that I got from a friend in my RPG group.

Gehfehler.

This one is almost impossible to translate. Literally, it means something like "walking mistake", and might actually be used as a neutral term to describe what someone who has trouble walking due to a clubfoot, polio or so has, i.e., the affliction itself.

What it is actually based on is the term "mit jemandem gehen", which means "seeing/dating/going steady with someone" ("Willst du mit mir gehen?" - "Do you want to be my girl-/boyfriend?").

A "Gehfehler" therefore implies that the girl/boy has a partner who either a) doesn't fit her/him at all or b) is very much a hindrance to your own interests in said girl/boy. S/he is definitely going wrong with this partner, and it would be better if this person disappeared. :ymdevil:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

Pfhreak wrote:
Teacher2B wrote:This one is a bit regional.

concha=cunt. At least this is the word we use here and I think that also in Argentina (Phfreak may tell me if I'm right).
conchudo or conchuda (gender difference in words)= something similar to "asshole". This word in other countries has a different meaning, not so offensive.
La concha de tu madre/de tu hermana= "Your mother's cunt" or "Your sister's cunt".
Yes, concha is used here. The one homemade curse I've cooked up in Spanish was "la concha de tu media hermana, la puta que te parió".

Oh the way this forum affects me IRL. See, in Spain, Concha does not, in fact, mean cunt. Which was hilarious because because of this thread i thought it did. And San Sebastian has a big beach called Playa de la Concha. Needless to say, it was funny asking people why the hell they would name a beach that way. (TBH I just assumed it was a nudy beach...but it wasn't)
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

Concha sounds to me as a snail shell.

However, I may volunteer to share a bit, that would get you b-( in Iceland.

Skríddu aftur uppí píkuna á mömmu þinni - Go crawl back up your mother's vagina.
Farðu í heitasta helvíti - Go to the hottest of hells.
Þegiðu, ég er að hlusta á bergmálið í hausnum á þér - Shut it, I'm listening to the ecco inside your head.
The iceman cometh

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

Don Alexander wrote:A "Gehfehler" therefore implies that the girl/boy has a partner who either a) doesn't fit her/him at all or b) is very much a hindrance to your own interests in said girl/boy. S/he is definitely going wrong with this partner, and it would be better if this person disappeared. :ymdevil:
I definitely know a Gehfehler or two.
ImageHEAD TECHNOLOGIST and GUARDIAN OF THE "THRONE".Image

CHIEF PROPHET OF CACAO, THE LORD AND GOD OF CHOCOLATIANITY

FSU Class of 2014!
Ailith wrote:Yes, it was intimate, it was passionate, it was sensual, and it ended with a few orgasms. So yeah, counts as sex to me.

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

Oh, I thought of another one. Don't say it to me, because if you will, I will personally bash your face in:

Þú lyktar ver en Þorláksmessa. [θu: lI:xd,ar vεr ε:n θo:rlauksmεs:a]

It means literally: "You smell worse than St. Thorlak's day", which isn't very insulting in itself, but bear in mind that this day's infamous traditional cuisine is cured skate.

Ps. Note, that the skate smells even worse than the shark.
Pps. The sound writing is as it was taught to me in grammar school.
Last edited by Iceman on Sun May 08, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The iceman cometh

anhdang
Danger Ranger

Post by anhdang »

In Vietnamese, the most common insult is đụ má. (Pronounced sort of like doo mah) Which means fuck your mom. It can be used just like fuck though, like if you dropped something on your toe.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

The best I can do is Middle English.

The word is quaint...back in Chaucer's day, it meant a certain part of a woman's anatomy found at the crux of the legs.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

When was Middle English Modern English? I never learnt that.
The iceman cometh

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

Middle English is the stage in the history of the English language during the High and Late Middle Ages, or roughly during the four centuries between the late 11th and the late 15th century. :-B
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Oh... never been there. 8-} Thanks.
The iceman cometh

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I knew a very quiet acadmeditian who could cuss up a storm in Middle English. I knew another who loved very ribald French stories from the 1200's. Some of those make things like South Park look positively cultured.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Yeah, the oldies knew how to swear and insult. I seek my inspiration from the Sagas - which are 1000 years old...
The iceman cometh