Tattoos and Piercings

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Re: Tattoos and Piercings

Post by cyanide_sweet »

Asaryu: That design sounds way cool!

midgetshrimp: Pfft, a pirate without piercings is just wrong... it's like a pirate without rum or something :P

demoncat: I have three on my left ear, two on my right. I can do henna tattoos! An egyptian friend taught me how to do it the traditional way :)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

If I had the money and time to properly recouperate, I'd be one of those guys who's mostly tattoo'ed. But you know what? When you're playing hockey and healing a tattoo, and you hit someone where the tattoo is? It REALLY STINGS. Plus, I'm really broke, so I just have the one tattoo on the shoulder / upper left arm.

It's a tribal design of Coyote done in profile with his head raised and lips open in a howl. Coyote was the trickster, the storyteller who was as often the hero as he was the rival. The brat, in other words, so it fit me perfectly. Also, I have a tendency to tell stories as well (as seen in the anecdote thread), so it really fit well.

I had a design by the same artist of Raven, but I thought about it... and Raven was the advesary. He was far more confrontational than Coyote ever was, and I figured that I have this habit of naturally getting under people's skin anyway. I didn't want to bring that even more to the forefront by putting Raven on my right shoulder, too, so I've edged away from that idea.

I like tattoos and many piercings... but I'm a bit leery of facial piercings. Because no matter how small, they leave a scar - and I'm sorry, ladies, scarred faces aren't really my thing. And septum piercings make me uncomfortable just to be around. I keep wanting to tell the person, "Hey! You have a big, nasty, metal booger hanging out of both your nostrils - you might want to blow your nose and stop grossing people out with that!" I don't mean to be judgemental about it, so I don't say it... but it's what I'm thinking all the time I see one. It's what really pops into my head concerning them, and it makes me a bit queasy thinking about them.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

cyanide_sweet wrote:midgetshrimp: Pfft, a pirate without piercings is just wrong... it's like a pirate without rum or something :P
The only time I have rum is when it's part of a cake. I'm a bad pirate...
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

I wasn't allowed to drink alcohol for 6 weeks when i had mine done. The alcohol in the mouthwash will cause the tongue to swell up and make it take longer to heal. They made me get special alcohol-free mouthwash, and made me promise not to eat spicy food.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

Asaryu wrote:I wasn't allowed to drink alcohol for 6 weeks when i had mine done. The alcohol in the mouthwash will cause the tongue to swell up and make it take longer to heal. They made me get special alcohol-free mouthwash, and made me promise not to eat spicy food.
No alcohol? :-o Maybe I should rethink getting a tongue piercing :))

MS: *tsk tsk* ...walk the plank!!!!

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

As long as you don't play with it you should be fine...mine just took ages for the swelling to go down. As soon as the swelling is gone, get a smaller bar, and you can start drinking again. As long as you avoid playing with it, your teeth should be fine if you get the smaller bar.

I did far too much research on mine. :P
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

Sorry for the double-post...I just found the Australian government brochure on healthy body art, and figured I'd link it for the curious. It's a pdf.

Healthy Body Art

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

Only my ears are pierced, and before two weeks ago I hadn't worn earrings in ten years. Kinda figured the holes were healed up. But one day, my mom aid "I wonder if you can still wear earrings" and shoved a pair in. Although I didn't feel it, just kind of went "so put some in and try it". :D

Tattoos, my mom and I have an agreement: I lose twenty pounds and get all A's for a semester, I get this treble clef as a tattoo: Image

I've lost ten pounds already, am working on the straight A's, and now all I need is... where. I'm thinking my ankle, but I don't know.

Also, when I'm much older (like my 20's :D) I want to get these on my shoulder blades: Image
ImageHEAD TECHNOLOGIST and GUARDIAN OF THE "THRONE".Image

CHIEF PROPHET OF CACAO, THE LORD AND GOD OF CHOCOLATIANITY

FSU Class of 2014!
Ailith wrote:Yes, it was intimate, it was passionate, it was sensual, and it ended with a few orgasms. So yeah, counts as sex to me.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Awwww, little O:-) wingies!

Good luck with your endeavour. You seem to have a cool mom. My parents consider tattoos and motorcycles and leather pants to be the devil... :(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

My mom has two (a rose on her ankle and a mickey head on the back of her neck) and my dad has a self designed tattoo on his leg. It's a dragon in the shape of an S, which stands for his first name. (Which, I've been told to say, is Sir.) So, if they considered tattoos to be the devil... :))

FSU Class of 2014!
Ailith wrote:Yes, it was intimate, it was passionate, it was sensual, and it ended with a few orgasms. So yeah, counts as sex to me.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Lilinna, I would discourage you from around your ankle if it's your first tattoo - not for issues of placement, but because of the feeling of actually having the tattoo applied. The "meatier" the tissue is (such as the side of the arm, like where I had mine) the less it hurts. There isn't a lot of "meaty" tissue near your ankle. A friend of mine had her first one done there, and... well, she was miserable. Personally, I'd suggest you consider this when thinking of your tattoo placement. If you're thinking your leg... you calf, thigh, or bottom might be a less uncomfortable choice.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

Didn't think of that... outside of my thigh might be nifty. I need it someplace I can hide with high socks and short shorts for band, though.

FSU Class of 2014!

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

No wings on shoulder-blades...it's the most over-done thing ever! Like a dove on your hip, or a heart anywhere.

Get something that means something to you...and something that'll mean something to you for a while.

I mean...if wings are what you're sure you want, then go for it. But make sure you're willing to put up with it forever. That's why I'm waiting for mine. I know it'll be something that's huge and I'll have to wear for ages, so i am waiting till I am absolutely sure.

Poorly thought out tattoos annoy me

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Lilianna wrote:It's a dragon in the shape of an S
First you draw an S. Then you draw a different S.

Consumate Vs! I Said consumate Vs!!

=))
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Asaryu wrote:Poorly thought out tattoos annoy me
:)) Okay, when I read that comic and saw the "says the girl with the flames coming out of her ass"... all I thought of was, "She has a tattoo mimicing pyro-flatulence?"