Beer, Wine, & Spirits

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Re: Beer, Wine, & Spirits

Post by BlairFan »

I had some absinthe a few years ago. It was very expensive and incredibly sweet- like anisette, or ouzo with way too much sugar straight out of the bottle. It really didn't seem to have much different an effect on me than other alcohol... I don't drink alcohol anymore, but I have found other things to do. :-)

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

Eurotrip - Green Fairy
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

Java
Glazed and Confused

Post by Java »

Oh my: A post about alcohol that I never contributed to? I am a failure as a Wisconsinite.

Firstly, on Absinthe: I tried some recently, and here were my exact words describing it at the time: it smells like Failure and tastes like Ass with an aftertaste of black licorice.

Now I personally am a brandy girl. I love a good Korbel Brandy Ol' Fashioned. I also love spiced rum -- Sailor Jerry's is my preference. I can down a little Captain Morgan but get sick of the stuff real quick.

Past that, I'm a fan of many a drink. The only ones I can't stand are absinthe and, unfortunately, beer (another reason I fail as a Wisconsinite). If I could handle beer, I think I would love a good stout, as that is the drink I love tasting on my hubby's breath the most. But, sadly, I think I am allergic to hops, as any time I drink a hops drink, I either gag or have to run to the bathroom.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

:))

You know, as soon as I read the "I am a failure..." I was reminded of something I read earlier today... and then you add Captain Morgan!!

The following Magic card's top comment on the Gatherer site:
ImageImage
"Huntmaster is the most Canadian magic card ever printed. Look at him: Bigfoot beard. Dressed for winter. Axe and bear trap at the ready. Recently received some free healthcare. Doing the Captain Morgan pose, and probably wasted." -Steinhauser

Also, the card is freaking awesome - and I hope to own one withing the next 12 hours!!!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Java wrote:Past that, I'm a fan of many a drink. The only ones I can't stand are absinthe and, unfortunately, beer (another reason I fail as a Wisconsinite). If I could handle beer, I think I would love a good stout, as that is the drink I love tasting on my hubby's breath the most. But, sadly, I think I am allergic to hops, as any time I drink a hops drink, I either gag or have to run to the bathroom.
Huh. I would have thought as a Wisconsinite, you'd regularly drink Leinies and eat cheese or you lose your powers. :))

Java
Glazed and Confused

Post by Java »

Why stick to Leinies when there are so many to choose from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_br ... _Wisconsin

I do have the cheese thing down, though. And the cranberries. And the wineries. And the farmer's markets. It's enough to pass me, but I'm in academic probation as a Wisconsinite for not drinking beer.

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Oh certainly, it's just I associate Leinenkugel with Wisconsin, probably unfairly. One of the postdocs is actually from Chippewa Falls, so he makes a deal about going to the brewery every time he goes home. :)

GypsyLyric

Post by GypsyLyric »

I'm not much of a drinker, but I've discovered that I've got one hell of a stomach jeez...

For my 21st birthday, I started off with:
1/2 Guinness (I couldn't finish it, the aftertaste was too much)
2 tall Irish Ciders (it was some house beer, it was fantastic. I love apples.)
1 hot apple pie cider (most amazing thing ever)
Some fruity mixed drink from a sports bar
A margarita (blended)

Then the night continued, and we hit up this place called the Moscow Bar, and I had:
2 strawberry shots (it's a whole strawberry, with Everclear and whipped cream on top)
5 shots of Vodka (I can take them back to back, I wowed the bar tender)
1 shot of something called the Three Wise Men (it's gross)
1 shot of some kind of Brandy
...and then I lost track of the shots, but hey my mom threw up and I didn't (and I had a considerable amount more than she did).

I'd like to try Absinthe, but overall I'm either a cider drinker or a straight vodka challenger (seriously, I can drink it like water, it grosses my friends out).
Rawr means I love you in Zombie.

Nev

Post by Nev »

Two glasses of wine, and I'm generally unable to walk a straight line. Mind you, I haven't had drinks in over a year now

I remember I had some port for New Year's 2009, and spent the next morning throwing it up. Stomach bug, not a hangover, but I'll never forget a whole day of vomitous port flavored burps. I can't stand the smell of red wine to this very day.

GypsyLyric

Post by GypsyLyric »

Dude that's the suckiest thing ever, I once had that problem with smoked salmon. Then again, my great-grandfather did make the mistake of giving me a shot of wiskey (I was like 9 or 10 at the time, it made me sick as a dog).

I come from one of those families that lets the kids taste wine at an early age, and then lets them actually drink it once they hit the double digits. Just a small glass, not like a whole bottle. By the time I was in my teens I didn't really have much of a party urge, I still don't have one that often. I mean, I enjoy it, it usually turns out pretty well for me, and I have fun, I just end up doing other things instead. My whole family is from California, and I'm specifically from the more hippy areas, so pot smoking has always been my go to thing at parties instead of alcohol. Honestly, I can drink like I did on my 21st birthday, and then not drink for years to come, and then drink heavily again. I suppose it has something to do with my size, my mother is 6'2", and I'm about 6' myself. I just sort of absorb substances, which sucks because it takes soooo much to get me drunk.

Nev

Post by Nev »

I've never been drunk. You'd think otherwise with a flimsy tolerance like mine, but I've never had a party urge or more than a passing interest in drinks. I wouldn't have been above peer influence, but I was such a solitary little shit, no one had the chance to. Then there was also a phase where I wouldn't touch alcohol for fear of calories. Probably for the best, I'm embarrassing enough when I'm just tipsy. I'll get properly smashed some day when I'm old and past shame, just to see what it's like.

GypsyLyric

Post by GypsyLyric »

I've only ever been smashed once, and that was my 21st, and it was expected by everyone. It was the sort of night where people were like "here, try this" and I did, and I couldn't walk when I got home. I've never had that problem drinking otherwise, just because the party usually runs out of booze before I'm really drunk, or if I'm surrounded by new people (because I get paranoid, and I'm probably better off being buzzed and playing video games instead of getting into fist fights with boys who are confused by me). Now a days I only get drunk on special occasions, like New Years (it's my mother's birthday) or Halloween or some special event. Most of the time, I just go to the back rooms where all the potheads are at. I like the more chill environment compared to the hustle and bustle of college boys getting mad because soandsuch cockblocked them (actual events, this happens to me often, and it's usually never my fault, but sometimes when people are drunk I look a lot like a handsome young man out to get their dates).

Nev

Post by Nev »

Hell, I'd probably choose pot over drinks if I had to do one or the other.
It's funny though, what you said reminds me of men's attitude towards my girlfriend. Drunk or sober, they get mad at her because she has all the game as they see it. ... Had all the game. All she has now is a guard dog for a SO. Those men ought to be thanking me. =)) But that's getting off topic. Vodka is vile.

GypsyLyric

Post by GypsyLyric »

Vodka means water, and I can drink it as such. *smug* :3

I like pot, it's got about 1001 uses, medicinal or otherwise, and I really feel that once the worlds resources have run out they'll probably be looking into hemp products and marijuana plants to help the ozone layer. Did you know hemp can be used to make diapers? Or the lining in brakes? Or fuel? And the plants produce a lot of oxygen, and grow faster than trees. The THC crystallizes tumors as well, and is used for cancer patients to both cure nausea and sometimes even the cancer. The THC can also be bought in a liquid form, and can be extracted from the more "psychedelic" properties, and can be used to help children who have epilepsy or seizures. It cures my depression too, no other pill has helped (granted I didn't take many kinds, but I'm not willing to be a test subject to a product that "might work" or "might make it worse" ...not again.).

I'm rambling on, I'm one of those people that just thinks pot is the best thing that naturally grows on this planet. It's awesome, it helps me deal with rowdy college boys and their dramatic drunken problems. I think we need a pot appreciation thread...

Retiarius

Uses for marijuana

Post by Retiarius »

You missed one. Scroll down to #3.
I think outside the tesseract.