Beer, Wine, & Spirits

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Beer, Wine, & Spirits

Post by Dirty n Evil »

In the Ma3 forum, there is a topic that originally branched off from talking about knowing any real life Gary's to a discussion of beer. I thought that it diverted a bit from the original subject of the thread, and it's been suggested that perhaps a new thread talking about adventures in the alcoholic vein might be needed. Well, I decided that perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad idea. :)

Now, I'm a bit of a beer guy myself, with my favorite drink being Bass Ale (on tap, naturally). I like amber and dark beers - but far too many of them are too bitter or malty, like Guinness, for my taste. I don't drink wine too much except when I'm eating, and then I'm rather fond of Sangria or perhaps a nice oaky Cabernet Sauvignon. And being in Florida, a margarita done right is never unwelcome. ;)

Now, I'm going to share a recipe I quite literately just tried out and enjoyed quite a bit. =p~ I still had the better part of most of the ingredients for a margarita around, but I didn't want that drink exactly... so I looked around online to see if there was anything else I could make with what I had at hand. I found a recipe for a cocktail called a "Prickly Pear", but I didn't have a pear. Instead, I substituted the pear for orange juice... and it was so good my roomie insisted I make him one of them as well. I guess we'll call it a Prickly Orange.

3 oz. Tequila
3 oz. Sweet & Sour Mix
1 oz. Coconut Rum
2 oz. Orange Juice
1 oz. Grand Marnier

Pour the assorted drinks into a mixing cup, then pour over a generous amount of ice. It is... fantastic, I guarantee it! :-bd
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Re: Beer, Wine, & Spirits

Post by yiraheerai »

While I'm not a drinker, I still recommend everyone looking at The Oatmeal's page on the subject. Knowledge is power! :-bd
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

That "pear" you keep referring to, DnE. I don't think it's a pear like you think it's a pear. :P

Hooray, already derailed!!! :-bd
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

The name of the drink is called a Prickly Pear... but it actually uses pureed pear for the recipe, instead of the orange juice. I didn't name it, I just mixed it!
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Ecchi-Spud
Wielder of the Remote

Post by Ecchi-Spud »

Well, here's another ode to Beer!

And No, "Weird Al" did NOT do this song.
Many thanks to Raamyah for the avvie!!!!

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

yiraheerai wrote:While I'm not a drinker, I still recommend everyone looking at The Oatmeal's page on the subject. Knowledge is power! :-bd
If knowledge is power those guys are a bit wimpy.
1. It was the egyptians, not babylonians. The Babylonian punishment was
If a beer seller do not receive barley as the price of beer, but if she receive money…or make the beer measure smaller than the barley measure received, they (the judges) shall throw her (the brewster) into the water.
Still harsh, but not as bad as oatmeal's version
2. The goat in valhalla had mead, not beer. Different things.
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Yeah, mead is a drink made from fermented honey, not barley and hops. You can actually pretty easily make it on your stove top, in fact, which you certainly can't with beer.

I love beer. Beer is my favorite class of beverage. I tend toward porters and stouts, though I'm a big fan of wheat beers as well. Pretty average to others, through I can't stand lager. Typically, the lighter it is, the less likely I'm going to like it, though Yuengling in PA is kind of the exception for personal reasons.

Out here, in Arizona, we've get alot of the great brews from the San Diego area and from Colorado, in addition to some great local breweries. My personal favorite brewery is Oak Creek Brewery in Sedona, which has a Nut Brown Ale that will change how you live your life, guaranteed. Tucson itself has some good brewpub microbreweries too, though you won't find many of their products outside of the city. I'm pretty familiar with alot of the bigger West Coast breweries and all the different kinds of beer out there, so if anyone wants to get into beer and wants some recommendations, I can probably point you in the right direction.

DruffyB

Post by DruffyB »

I like to drink absinthe....

The green fairies I see on occasion have nothing to do with that! '_'

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Gil, I'm personally rather fond of Yuengling myself - and recently here in Tampa I've noticed it's carried by an increasing amount of places on tap. I might've actually mentioned it in my introductory post, except that I always forget how to spell it! :))

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Yuengling opened a brewery in Tampa in 1999, so you are getting it straight from the source. :) My first brewery tour after I turned 21 was the Pottsville Yuengling Brewery, which is pretty amazing. They've had a long time to get it right, and remains my favorite lager.

Nibler
Professional Lurker

Post by Nibler »

Dirty n Evil wrote:Now, I'm a bit of a beer guy myself, with my favorite drink being Bass Ale (on tap, naturally). I like amber and dark beers - but far too many of them are too bitter or malty, like Guinness, for my taste.
I like Beamish and Kilkenny, they are similar to Guinness(specially Beamish), but not as "heavy". Sadly beer does not go well with my diet right now though.
This is not the greatest signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute.

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

My favorite foreign beers would be Budweiser (not the Static piss) and Guinness, but overriding both would be the dark variant of the lager Kaldi. =p~
It's the best.
The iceman cometh

GermanMerc

Post by GermanMerc »

After i life near France whine is the way to go.
There are alot good ones out, even some sweet ones.
But myself favor the dark red ones at this time with a strong taste which are perfectly used for barbeques.

And i alwasy get some good ones from my french coworkers :D

Then theres the german beer and some northern hard liquer like some scotish / irish whiskeys and some stuff from skandinavia and on rare occasions some sake.

And the main sort of alcohol i cant refuse is the one i done need to pay :p :D
Be creative, invent a perversion.

MerchManDan
Nerd-At-Large (Mostly Harmless)

Post by MerchManDan »

Dirty n Evil wrote:I'm personally rather fond of Yuengling myself.
How, precisely, does one do that?
=))
Sorry, I'm sorry...couldn't resist. :D
Operator of The Penultimate Darkness Pit: Gift Store of the Cavey Cave of Elderly Elders
Exclusive and Singular Seller of The OmniFork!
Fen wrote:Because sometimes one cult is not enough.
Another helpful emoticon: Image Courtesy of yiraheerai