Beer, Wine, & Spirits

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Re: Beer, Wine, & Spirits

Post by Iceman »

[quote="In "Jabber", Atherakhia"]that is true. Altho believe it or not AB tried to sue the original brewery a few years back. They failed, obviously lol[/quote]
Yeah, I heard of that, too. Sounds real silly.
The iceman cometh

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

I haven't been drunk in at least five years, and I don't miss it. You know you're past your "rebellious stage" when it takes more than 12 hours to recover from a bender.

That said, I don't mind the occasional adult beverage. I prefer Guinness when drinking beer -- to me, it's like iced coffee with a head and a bit of a kick. I'll also drink Yuengling (got turned onto it in college), and I'm not above sampling microbrews. For hard liquor, vodka's tough to beat because it mixes so well with everything. Just recently, I've gotten to the point where I can drink a little bit of wine, as long as it's a sweet variety (still don't have a taste for the dry stuff).

For things I can't drink, tequila turns my stomach because of a bad experience in college. The only way I can drink tequila is in a margarita, and only if it's not too strong.
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

At Metalfest, we had some rather cute and funny girl neighbors. On Saturday evening, they got piss-death drunk, mostly on stuff which is called "Pfeffi" here and is peppermint liquor. it is glowing green, tastes like cough drops mixed with pure sugar, and has 18% alcohol you will never notice until it's too late...

Anyway, in recent years, I've been drinking very little alcohol, and despite my bulk, even a glass of wine is enough to make me a little bit tipsy.

But to prevent further collapses, I drank the last quarter of the Pfeffi bottle in a few minutes... and I felt NOTHING. Maybe a wee bit after half an hour or so. It was a total Legolas moment.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Heh... i've never ever been drunk in my entire life. I don't get why so many people do it, totally overrated in my opinion.

Edit: Oh, ..got a question to Atherakhia. What kind of sake do you like?
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I know quite a few people who have that one liquor that they can't drink anymore because of a "bad experience". My pals Zeus and Paul had one with jaegermeister the night the Tampa Buccaneers won the Super Bowl. I was living up in Philly at the time, but I've heard the story many times. Apparently Zeus was so drunk he couldn't get out of the reclining chair and eventually slept in it, while Paul spend a full hour worshiping at the porcelain altar.

While I can still drink it sparingly, my problem liquor is vodka - and I did it to myself when I was pretty young. I was 20, and with Zeus and Paul we'd heard of this great drinking idea where you get a slurpee (or similar iced syrupy drink) and add alcohol. Now being a year beneath the legal limit, Paul bought the liquor, buying a bottle of vodka and a bottle of spiced rum. I made the recommendation that we head up to the convenience store that I worked at, because I knew that we had a wide selection of slurpees. Only... when we got there, there were only two flavors working. Coke slurpee, and grape slurpee. I didn't want a boring rum and half-frozen coke, so I got their largest container of grape slurpee. YES I KNOW THIS WAS A HORRIBLE IDEA NOW, BUT I WAS A STUPID 20 YEAR OLD AT THE TIME. But wait, it gets worse.

We go back to Paul's place, and we start chatting while mixing up the drinks. And I'm thinking that grape doesn't go with rum, so I open the bottle of vodka and just start pouring. It's a huge cup of slurpee, so I just let the vodka pour and look up while I'm talking to Paul. As I'm talking, I'm getting rather animated about the subject, so I forget about my hand. It's after a little bit I realize... hey, my left hand feels lighter than I thought it should. Looking down, I have just managed to pour the entire contents of the bottle of vodka into one singular slurpee. I realize immediately that's way too much and way too strong, but neither Paul or Zeus wants a liquored up grape slurpee. So, it's all mine.

I remember very little of that night. All I can recall is sitting on his couch laughing idioticly to Looney Tunes on Cartoon Network. The one time I did try to get up I nearly killed myself with the resultant fall. I think I stumbled off to the spare bedroom somehow and slept it off. But to this day, there's an extra little wince to me when I drink vodka. Which of course means that people are oddly frequently trying to get me to drink something with vodka.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

MarkMoriquendi

Post by MarkMoriquendi »

Dirty n Evil wrote:I'm personally rather fond of Yuengling myself.
Me too!
However, being in the UK, I can't get any cos you nasty Yanks won't export it :(

Sam Adams Boston it is for me then. Altho the summer seasonal is nice. But again, can't get it.
Anyone in the states have a room to rent? Lol

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Ath - since I'm getting a sense for the beers you like, what's your taste for Bass Ale? Personally, of the major brands out there it's actually my favorite, and I think it's fairly similar to Yuengling. Bass is a bit smoother with not as much hop to it, which I prefer.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

MarkMoriquendi

Post by MarkMoriquendi »

i don.t think you can get it over here. But if so, i'll look out for it

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I'd be surprised if you couldn't... it is an English beer, after all. :D

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

To me, there were THREE awesome cameos in x-Men: First Class, with the best one being...

=)) =)) =)) =)) =))

"Das Beste."
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

MarkMoriquendi

Post by MarkMoriquendi »

Dirty n Evil wrote:I'd be surprised if you couldn't... it is an English beer, after all. :D
I know it is. But like Castlemaine XXXX, i don.t think anywhere sells it anymore

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

I was wandering a bit... Have any of you tasted brennivín?
The iceman cometh

TellusEidolon

Post by TellusEidolon »

You mean brændevin, Iceman? :p
(and for the english speakers; brandy)

The answer is no. I haven't tasted that.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

No... I think Brændevin is more like Akvavit, which is drinkable. Brennivín is not to be drunk, I say, after having tasted it recently, because it's strongly tainted by cumin. :ymsick:
The iceman cometh

TellusEidolon

Post by TellusEidolon »

Hrm... okay. The spelling just looked a bit the same as brændevin. =/

I haven't tasted that one either though.