Beer, Wine, & Spirits

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Beer, Wine, & Spirits

Post by Don Alexander »

Threadlich! :D

I KNEW we had an alcohol thread floating around here, fermenting and waiting to be uncapped...

At the Halloween party a week ago, someone had brought a bottle of Absinthe. Now, I never got to look at the bottle, but I'm pretty sure it was German-made, and thus reduced in Thujon, but it still sported 68% alcohol, making it the hardest stuff I had ever drunk. alas, la fée verte was not consumed in the traditional manner with a spoon and a cube of sugar, instead, the guy watered it down to about 1/4 of it's power.

So I demanded pure. No fucking water. If I'm going to drink this legendary stuff, I want full impact. :ymdevil:

Due to lack of glasses, I got my swig in a wine glass that was shaped similarly to a cognac snifter. So when I raised it to my lips, the alcohol fumes hit and burned my eyes... :D The first sip was pure liquid fire in my mouth, I think it cauterized everything. :P After that, the taste of the anise, vermouth and the other herbs came forth, and wow. This stuff is really quite yummy! I'd still say I'm a cheap wino and prefer Jägermeister, but if I'm ever on another party that has this, sign me in!

I also later drank some of the watered-down stuff, and it was just gross! :ymsick:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

edit: And... EuroTrip
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Absinthe is really an acquired taste. At one of the department parties, one of the guys got his hands on a bottle of absinthe and was giving people shots. Most people didn't like it.

Fun thing last night at the physical chemistry party was the horrible Chinese liquor that someone brought which was 58% alcohol. Disgusting, but entertaining to ignite with a match. Didn't quite have enough alcohol by volume to sustain an alcohol vapor pressure to stay lit for more than a few seconds, but bit was cool watching a thin blue flame flick across the surface of the liquid.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Few seconds? Heh. We used to make homebrew for private consumption (allowed in Canada) that could burn for 30 seconds from one tablespoon.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Radbaron is a moonshiner. :-? Somehow I just knew that. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Actually, I don't drink. But you should see the firewater and wine the household can produce.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

GermanMerc

Post by GermanMerc »

@ Gil Hamilton

I know Absinthe, living near France gives u contact with it and for all who don´t know it just tastes like cat pee.
Be creative, invent a perversion.

TheDude
Resident Redhead

Post by TheDude »

In other words: it's an acquired taste.

(and I'd like to see those wondrous cats!)
"Time spent in happy delusion is never wasted." Frazz by Jef Mallet

"We fear change." Garth Algar

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Look at my cat, my cat is amazing...

... where the absinthe is made!
Sweet absinthe, sweet, sweet absinthe...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

GermanMerc

Post by GermanMerc »

Yeah, much like Bitburger you know.

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

Which do you think is worse, Merc, Absinthe or Brennivín? :p
The iceman cometh

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

GermanMerc wrote:@ Gil Hamilton

I know Absinthe, living near France gives u contact with it and for all who don´t know it just tastes like cat pee.
Just out of curiosity, how would you know? Unless...

:-o :ymsick:

:p
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Wait gets me is the notion that the best way to drink absinthe is by drinking it mixed with sugar and in fact have elaborate rituals and specialized spoons for the task. It was kind of weird.

CyanideAngel
Cookie Angel

Post by CyanideAngel »

Yeah you melt (?) Sugar on a spoon...Shot the absinthe with the sugar. I like Absinthe. Forgive my fuzziness on the prep. I was already drunk at the time I tried Absinthe and so my memory is of open flame,sugar,Absinthe and spoons.
Amor vincit omnia Nil illegitimi carborundum Carpe Diem Carpe Noctem
winner of the 2009 cutest forumite contest (females)
Teach's Angel Kitty and assistant giver of hugs

GermanMerc

Post by GermanMerc »

@ Iseman

Actually i like Brennivín, but i like most stuff up there like Akvavit and the like.

@ Goth Poet

That is a childhood story u have to pay to hear ;)