Sports Lounge.

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Bambikles

Re: Sports Lounge.

Post by Bambikles »

Ouf, Netherlands goes on ! The team who actually tried to score continues the adventure, good.
I wouldn't dismiss Argentina. They played poorly, but save for Belgium, all of their opponents were very defensive teams. Having to face Netherlands may paradoxically be good news for them.
Except that I guess it was 50/50 whether France or Germany would make it.
Stats before France/Germany
France : 3 victories, 1 draw, 10 goals scored, 2 conceded
Germany: 3 victories, 1 draw, 9 goals scored, 3 conceded
It's difficult to have closer teams.
It's interesting how the group phase had multiple upsets (especially Spain getting kicked out, but also England, Portugal, Italy...), whereas the elimination phase so far has been very predictable.
Indeed. I wondered several times if it wouldn't be better now to have a second group phase rather than knockouts. Until 1990 finals and semi-finals were great games, then only quarter-finals. Since 2002, only the round of 16 produces interesting games in the knockout phase. 1982 had a 2nd round group phase, and it had 2,81 goals per match. Granted, there was New Zealand and Salvador, but why not.
On a related subjetc, I think allowing 24 rather than 16 teams in the next Euro is a mistake for me. With best 3rd again able to qualify, defensive teams will once again have an advantage. sigh.

EDIT: Fun fact: Costa Rica becomes member of the Club of countries knocked out of a World Cup with a clean sheet (i.e. no defeat).

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Germany, I am dissapoint. Not to ZERO??? :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

What, what, what, What, what, what, what just happenned ? :-o
Finally, losing 0-1 wasn't so bad. :p

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Haven't been watching but I saw this on tumblr and it made me laugh
Brazil:we came out to have a good time and hones-[Germany scores again]
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

:-? Funny, Brazil doesn't look like Poland. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

You would think that the German team would take it easier on the Boys From Brazil .......
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Wow... That's a fairly obscure literary reference.
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Don Alexander wrote:Image

Germany, I am dissapoint. Not to ZERO??? :P
its made from brazilian tears, so you have to savor it.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Engy wrote:It's been a while since we last nearly had a war break out between our countries, no?
Looks like we'll be waiting on that for quite a while longer, though. :(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Engy

Post by Engy »

Yep. Maybe in two years.
Achievement Hunter, Software Engineer, retired competitive Team Fortress 2 Engineer, professional snarker.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Anyway, despite Robben pissing all over the game for third place, I still hope you kick the Brazilian's ass a second time. ;)
ImageImage

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Awww. Pityless indeed. :(
I vote for a draw with Brazil losing at penalty kicks. :p

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Congratulations Germany ! The best and most entertaining team won ! :ymapplause: :ymparty: :-bd \M/

Really, Argentina hadn't been this boring since 1990.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

:ymparty:

EDIT: CNN write-up.

I think I lost a few lives during the game. Kroos heading it right in front of Higuain's feet, Höwedes slamming it into the post just seconds before the end of the first half...

The referee started well but became worse and worse. There was one totally mysterious error against Argentina (where Neuer checked an attacker - and Germany got a free kick?? :-\ ), but all the rest of the major mistakes were against Germany (Kramer being knocked out, which should have gotten a penalty kick; and two Argentine players who clearly deserved yellow-red cards late in the game...). But fuck you, we're Germany! :P

The combination of Schürrle's run, pass to Götze, and his goal kick. A FUCKING DREAM!!!! I have rarely ever seen a more beautiful goal. It was basically an impossible combination and shot, yet it was executed perfectly.

And then the Argentine side gets this last free kick near the German goal, and we are all just seeing it, Messi manages to score, and there it is, penalty shootout.... It seemed almost scripted, an inevitability! And he fires it horribly wide! :-o Reminded me of David Beckham's kick in the penalty shootout at Euro 2004 vs. Portugal...

By this time, the 2 minutes injury time had long passed, but the referee did not end the match! It continued for like another 90 seconds which seemed totally crazy....

....before it really was over and the fireworks began! :D
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Huzzah, Germany! :ymparty:
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.