Sports Lounge.

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Re: Sports Lounge.

Post by Dirty n Evil »

You're... you're trying to instigate me into a hockey rant, aren't you?

*takes a deep breath*

Okay, let's start with Abdelkader. (I have my own little nickname for him... it's a part of the human anatomy that begins with A and skater. A******-skater. Figure it out.) Abdelkader has left his feet for checks so often in an effort to aim for the heads of Lightning players that he's gotten more airtime than the Wright brothers at Kittyhawk. Constantly guilty of interference, hitting guys from behind, and general cowardly tactics. However, he's also guilty of some really reprehensible things, too. In game 1, he cross checked Cedric Paquette in the head against the glass - which should have been a suspension, clear and simple. There wasn't even a penalty on the play. In game 2, he slew footed Ryan Johnson... but fortunately the refs saw that one, and he was penalized, but it was still a very dangerous play. Finally, at the end of the game was the incident talked about in that article you linked, where Abdelkader attacked Mike Blunden who was on his hands and knees on the ice. Pummeling him in that vulnerable position so much that Blunden required nine stitches to sew together his mouth. A cowardly act without question, but I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that for the rest of the series Abdelkader won't face Blunden in a fair fight.

In game 1 in the final minute of play, one of Detroit's stars in Henrik Zetterberg took a leaping elbow aimed at the head of Ryan Callahan. It was simply good fortune that Callahan saw it coming and ducked out of the way.

And also in game 2 Danny DeKeyser boarded Andrei Palat with... you guessed it, a hit aimed directly at his head. And DeKeyser followed through with the hit, pushing after initial impact to drive Palat's head against the glass. Again, he was never assessed a penalty, while this is the sort of play that the NHL disciplinary committee would normally suspend a player over.

What's really hilarious is when you read the online boards and hear how the Red Wings fans are saying the Tampa players are "dirty" and playing like a bunch of "thugs". Y'know, I get it... the playoffs are more physical. It's the constant plays that could potentially injure our players that really tick me off. I've been saying it for years - if you're not one of the Original Six teams or a Canadian team, you get the short end of the stick officiating-wise.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Searcher
Skipper of the S.S.Shipper

Post by Searcher »

That is funny, TB guys has to get stiches and the Red Wing fans are saying TB are the thugs?? Ahh mirror mirror
"Vegetarian: an old Iroquois word for Bad Hunter." Stolen from Azrael
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Bloody Hell Tampa. You had one job. One bloody job. :-w Fucking Penguins. :ymtongue:
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I know, Azrael. It's a case of maybe Bishop hadn't been injured in the first game of the series... and maybe if Stamkos wasn't recovering from the blood clot surgery... and maybe if the refs called a fair game. I mean, on that last point, I knew the fix was in at 11:35-11:36 of the first period. There was a 4-on-4, and Kucherov managed to swat at a rebound in front of the Penguins goalie. Immediately after the rebound, on the Pittsburgh side Kunitz comes from behind and cross checks him so hard Kucherov leaves his feet and goes sprawling onto his knees. And there's no call on the play, despite it being open and obvious.

Sadly, Tampa has maybe 2 more years in this window before we're in trouble. This coming off season we're almost certainly going to lose Stamkos, and the year after that we're going to have to start resigning a lot of these young guys who'll all be earning a lot on their next contract including Hedman, Johnson, Kucherov, and Bishop - of which we'll probably only keep 2 of the 4. On top of it all, there is more than likely going to be an expansion on the league in the next year or two, so we'll lose players that way. After all that, we'll be lucky if we're one of those teams that squeaks into the playoffs until we can again rebuild.

But yeah, I'm rooting for the Sharks in this Stanley Cup finals.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Germany : Poland 2:0.

*toots tiny horn and waives tiny flag*

Off to a good start.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Searcher
Skipper of the S.S.Shipper

Post by Searcher »

the first true sign that the world will soon end ... a Cleveland team won a championship for the first time since 1964! That is five years before I was even born!

Now if the Indians and Clowns errr I mean my Browns win also in the next 12 months ... well I will see you all on the other side =)) :p
"Vegetarian: an old Iroquois word for Bad Hunter." Stolen from Azrael
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

Searcher, have no fear of the world ending soon. We've survived the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series in 2004 for 12 years.
( I'm happy for the Cleveland fans, although I don't like some of the Cavaliers. Enough said.) :-?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Germany : Northern Ireland 1:0, we take group lead and advance! :D
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

ICELAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
ImageImage

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

You know I usually root for the underdogs.
GO ICELAND!!! WOO-HOO!!!!
:) :) :)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

*needs reanimation after Germany vs. Italy 7:6 in penalty shootouts* b-( b-( b-( b-(

Most. Insane. Game. Ever.

But we beat the curse!!!! :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Schweinsteiger.
What r u doing?
Schweinsteiger.
Stahp.

EDIT: Well... fuck. :(

And it seems there is not even a game for the third place.
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

DAMMIT GERMANY! :ymtongue: You had one job. One bloody job. And France at that. [-(
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Germany had ball ownership and kept the pressure up for most of the game on France but made terrible mistakes. France had the better defense and Germany somehow did not. Yet it was none of the moments when France broke past the German defense that lead to any goals. It was Germany making mistakes right infront of it that did that.

First of all, slow reaction to the header and it turning into a handball IN THE GOAL AREA.

Second...Passing the ball around infront of your damn goal when the other teams players are right there?!

France won because they were consistent. So all they had to do was wait for Germany to make mistakes. Even if this wasn't their plan or intention.
Last edited by Tenjen on Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

This makes Iceland look better, right?
:)