Things You Desire.

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

stephaielikes

Re: Things You Desire.

Post by stephaielikes »

ALSO
http://www.garden.co.uk/php/browseCateg ... GgodXEpgYA
Another bottle of this as mine is running out and I link it with some of my best memories.
Also a tea strainer... I had to use paper towels today.
I want so much stuff... :-\
'Did you just squeeze my butt?'
'You must not know fear. Fear is the butt-killer.'
'...was that... Doom?'

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

stephaielikes wrote:They are over here, too. But I've got to keep him in his place! :D
By your side. Awwwww. O:-)
stephaielikes wrote:I still believe unlawful carnal knowledge is rape, though... isn't the definition 'carnal knowledge of an individual without their consent'?
This is quite possible, yes. But I was just making a little in-joke with the Van Halen album title without thinking of the deeper implications.
stephaielikes wrote:I suppose, come to think of it, all sex that is against the law is unlawful carnal knowledge... in which case... I suppose I have committed it.
/:) Have you confessed this to the board yet?
stephaielikes wrote:But I can point you in the direction of more amusement based on immorality then illegality!
http://www.coco-de-mer.com/system/ecomm ... ze=142x213 this, for instance. Although I don't recommend you get your copy from Coco de Mer, for price reasons.
As the moment I'm desiring another copy, as I left mine on the train. I swear, it's a beautiful example of stunning French literature, and not a novel so dirty it borders on disturbing.
I swear...
Forgot it on the train, huh? Well, you made someone happy. ;)
Though I don't think I'll ever read something like that. My plaisir in terms of books just goes in other directions.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I can list about 100 things, but somewhere near the top would be:

1) Money
2) Women. Scratch that. Just one. I'm not greedy/unfaithful.
3) Power. You could argue that 1 and 3 would bring 2, but meh.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Phoenix wrote:I can list about 100 things, but somewhere near the top would be:

1) Money
2) Women. Scratch that. Just one. I'm not greedy/unfaithful.
3) Power. You could argue that 1 and 3 would bring 2, but meh.
1) is a great start. Seeing that I'm getting by on 400 Euros a month.
Concerning 1)+3)-->2). Well, yes. But the right kind?? Methinks not. I want a 2) who loves me even though I'm dirt-poor.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

I figure I just need looks, charisma, and money to get ahead in that regard. Well, at least the new job should help with one of those.
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Scaramouche wrote:I figure I just need looks, charisma, and money to get ahead in that regard. Well, at least the new job should help with one of those.
So you're a plastic surgeon? :))

Agreed, DA. I'd hate to have a girl that used me. But to be perfectly honest, I get incredibly lonely (which is why I've always had pets - my landlord doesn't allow them though, so can't have any here), and I'd settle for them using me, if I got someone to talk to and hug. I really don't care about all the rest. I've lasted this long without needing to fuck someone, so I'm not gonna explode :P

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Phoenix wrote:Agreed, DA. I'd hate to have a girl that used me. But to be perfectly honest, I get incredibly lonely (which is why I've always had pets - my landlord doesn't allow them though, so can't have any here), and I'd settle for them using me, if I got someone to talk to and hug. I really don't care about all the rest. I've lasted this long without needing to fuck someone, so I'm not gonna explode :P
You and Heine seem to be on the same track here. ;)

Well, despite my seeming reputation here, I'm not going to explode either.

I might be desperate enough to be used. Though I would hope that I would realize this early enough. Then I can reap the benefits (talk, hugs, sex) without getting emotionally attached. And when she decides to toss me, I can be smug. But it won't happen.
ImageImage

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

Phoenix wrote:
Scaramouche wrote:I figure I just need looks, charisma, and money to get ahead in that regard. Well, at least the new job should help with one of those.
So you're a plastic surgeon? :))
I wish. I'd get a lot more money, could fix the looks department, and would have two out of three.
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

Don Alexander wrote:The. Big. Bang. Has. No. Origin. There. Is. No. Center. Of. The. Universe.

A "center" is a concept that exists within space-time only. The Big Bang created space-time, and thus happened everywhere at once, because there was no "anywhere" before the Big Bang.
I can fathom this, though the image in my head is a far-fetched one. And this rests on the assertion that there is only one Universe, which by definition would make sense, but it would be more plausible that there are multiple Universes (Polyverse?) within an Omniverse.

And if you don't know, I'm completely yanking your chain because it's fun. I have no idea what the hell I just typed, and I'm pretty sure you don't either because you actually have an idea of what you're talking about.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

midge, let sleeping demons lie!!! 8-x 8-x 8-x
ImageImage

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

Don Alexander wrote:
Retiarius wrote:Which law? Humans are good at finding ways to skirt laws, whether they are the ones they thought up themselves or those they’ve observed in nature. We’re kinda perverse that way, that’s why I still put up with us. :ymsmug: Who are “they”? :-?
Constant speed of light in vacuum... /:) At least, I interpret "200c minimum equivalent velocity" as a drive that enables hyperjumps which are equivalent to at least 200 times light speed within space-time continuum. :-B

But while your at it, might as well go for a Puppeteer Mk II Quantum Hyperdrive, that gives you 500k c equivalent velocity. ;) And a General Products Hull is a must, of course.

And by "they" I mean dead dudes who will never get to see the future... RIP Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke... :((
Yeah, a GP hull would be nice, but until the Mk II is refined, you’d fill most of a GP #4, just like with the Long Shot.

Assuming we go with Known Space technology, of course. I’m leaving that question open so I don’t cut off whatever solution actually works. It might be something like the Heechee drives from Frederick Pohl’s Gateway series, which negate the rest mass of the ship. It could be one or more of any number of hyperspace solutions, although “hyperspace” is, for now, a fictional convenience, a plot device. I suspect that it will be more of a “flicker” drive: short instantaneous jumps (by teleportation, matter transmission, wormholing, or whatever) along the starship’s axis of thrust, repeated continuously. This has certain advantages over a big jump: less energy per jump, so waste energy manifesting as heat won’t vaporize the ship, for one. It's easy to steer such a ship, and an error on a jump can be ignored since it’s a small percentage of the overall travel distance.
I think outside the tesseract.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Retiarius wrote:Yeah, a GP hull would be nice, but until the Mk II is refined, you’d fill most of a GP #4, just like with the Long Shot.
Methinks building a bigger Hull would be easier than refining an already awesome drive unit. After all, the Puppeteers did one better than the Outsiders, and that's saying something( though who knows what the coldlife hides...)
Retiarius wrote:Assuming we go with Known Space technology, of course. I’m leaving that question open so I don’t cut off whatever solution actually works. It might be something like the Heechee drives from Frederick Pohl’s Gateway series, which negate the rest mass of the ship. It could be one or more of any number of hyperspace solutions, although “hyperspace” is, for now, a fictional convenience, a plot device. I suspect that it will be more of a “flicker” drive: short instantaneous jumps (by teleportation, matter transmission, wormholing, or whatever) along the starship’s axis of thrust, repeated continuously. This has certain advantages over a big jump: less energy per jump, so waste energy manifesting as heat won’t vaporize the ship, for one. It's easy to steer such a ship, and an error on a jump can be ignored since it’s a small percentage of the overall travel distance.
I loved Gateway, read only the first book though. The Heechee drives flies very much in the face of known physics... The flicker drive is possible within QFT, but even one "flick" would dissolve the ship in all but the smallest number of possibilities - unless one invents new physics... I personally prefer, if I wish to stay marginally realistic, with Orion's Arm's wormhole tug scenario. While jumps are possible via the holes, the holes themselves can't jump, and must be taken to new stars a sub-light when pairs are created. Making the expansion sub-light too.

But this thread is about desires...

I desire that there is even more water locked on Mars than what the new MRO results show. Terraforming FTW!
ImageImage

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

As I said, I’m open to whatever works, although a “stargate” solution would be less desirable, since it would limit the independence of a starship. I like the idea of the Louis Wu style sabbaticals.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Retiarius wrote:As I said, I’m open to whatever works, although a “stargate” solution would be less desirable, since it would limit the independence of a starship. I like the idea of the Louis Wu style sabbaticals.
Even if... "There is a Tide".
ImageImage

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

Well, that presumes that
  1. That we’re in a Known Space setting,
  2. That there are Slaver stasis boxes,
  3. That I haven’t read “There is a Tide” like a dozen times and know to look out for neutronium spheres. :p