Things You Desire.

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Pneumonica

Re: Things You Desire.

Post by Pneumonica »

Retiarius wrote:Hell, I might as well shoot the moon on this one.

I want a starship.

I’m not greedy. It doesn’t have to be a big one. Even a great one. Even a heavily armed one. Something in the light transport class would be fine. 200c minimum equivalent velocity would be desirable.

I was frickin' born too early. I blame superstition. :-w
I would totally dig a high-speed long-range personal transport. When I'm close to death, I'd get into it and fly at whatever horrendous velocity I could manage towards the center of the universe, but I'd have a clear rear viewscreen and I'd spend the time looking back at the galaxy. That way, for almost the rest of eternity anybody with a long-range telescope powerful enough would be able to see me staring back at them (or maybe looking like I'm asleep if I happen to be blinking in that era). Meanwhile, I would be able to see the world expand and come to a slow halt, then watch as creation plays in reverse.

(For those who don't know, time dialation occurs due to the expansion of the universe. At the center of the universe no such time dialation is occurring, which means from the perspective of the center of the universe it's only been about six days since the Big Bang.)
Further affiant sayeth not.

Heine

Post by Heine »

A man.

stephaielikes

Post by stephaielikes »

Not having to fix everything all the time.

Raspberry jelly.

A white christmas.
'Did you just squeeze my butt?'
'You must not know fear. Fear is the butt-killer.'
'...was that... Doom?'

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

stephaielikes wrote:A white christmas.
Give me a few weeks, a map of the prevailing weather system, a cloud seeder, and funding to build a giant floating skyship cloud freezer...

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Pneumonica wrote:I would totally dig a high-speed long-range personal transport. When I'm close to death, I'd get into it and fly at whatever horrendous velocity I could manage towards the center of the universe, but I'd have a clear rear viewscreen and I'd spend the time looking back at the galaxy. That way, for almost the rest of eternity anybody with a long-range telescope powerful enough would be able to see me staring back at them (or maybe looking like I'm asleep if I happen to be blinking in that era). Meanwhile, I would be able to see the world expand and come to a slow halt, then watch as creation plays in reverse.

(For those who don't know, time dialation occurs due to the expansion of the universe. At the center of the universe no such time dialation is occurring, which means from the perspective of the center of the universe it's only been about six days since the Big Bang.)
Pneu... I know you are OCD with stuff. I'm OCD with things physics... :-ss And your post has some really correct aspects, and some really wrong ones...
Heine wrote:A man.
Cue inbox overload. :|
stephaielikes wrote:A white christmas.
Awwwww. :ymhug:

Me too. Germany is going to get whitewashed tomorrow, but it won't last long. Christmas will probably be 10 degrees plus and rain. :((
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Pneumonica

Post by Pneumonica »

Don Alexander wrote:Pneu... I know you are OCD with stuff. I'm OCD with things physics... :-ss And your post has some really correct aspects, and some really wrong ones...
I realize we'd be talking about a vessel going at like twenty-kajillion times the speed of light. It's a wishbox, for crying out loud.

Heine

Post by Heine »

Don Alexander wrote:
Inbox empty!

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Pneumonica wrote:
Don Alexander wrote:Pneu... I know you are OCD with stuff. I'm OCD with things physics... :-ss And your post has some really correct aspects, and some really wrong ones...
I realize we'd be talking about a vessel going at like twenty-kajillion times the speed of light. It's a wishbox, for crying out loud.
Actually, no. All you need to go is really close to the speed of light. Fully within the range of allowed physics. You yourself will die after a few days (I mean, und the assumption that you do this trip shortly before your death, as you said), and people observing your spaceship would see everything slow down. That's correct. But not only is there no center of the universe, but you in your spaceship would also not be in the center of the universe...

Still, if you manage to survive the massive acceleration you need to get close to c, the plan would work, kind of. Though relativistic aberration would mess up your rear view... =((

And I get to have my OCDs too, for crying out loud!
Heine wrote:
Don Alexander wrote:
Inbox empty!
We seem to be bad at that. Or good. ;)

It started with our steph posting her first pics. Very cute pics, I daresay. Drool Level Alpha. Our Elder Geek Retiarius immediately apologized for the male side of the race, prediciting that her inbox would be flooded by guys from the board asking for her hand in marriage (or her body in other things... ;) ). But while we dote on our steph, it seems her inbox remained empty in this respect.

Now you post your pics (which are also WOW!) and state her that you want a man, which seems to indicate that you are looking for a boyfriend... --> Inbox overload with drooling guys.

But I guess it won't happen. We have Asaryu, she'd whip us if we did pester you.

Anyway: :ymhug: I hope your desire is fulfilled. It's less far out than a starship.
Last edited by Don Alexander on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Heine wrote:
Don Alexander wrote:
Inbox empty!
My excuse is as your Mod, I have to show a certain level of dignity and behaviour as an example to all forumites.

That and your serveral thousand miles away and I don't know you well enough yet ;)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Bear wrote:That and your serveral thousand miles away and I don't know you well enough yet ;)
Dou you need to?? :D

And I'm really not going to comment on line one. *fears the ban hammer and appeases beary-mod with bacon*
ImageImage

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

Don Alexander wrote:
Actually, no. All you need to go is really close to the speed of light. Fully within the range of allowed physics. You yourself will die after a few days (I mean, und the assumption that you do this trip shortly before your death, as you said), and people observing your spaceship would see everything slow down. That's correct. But not only is there no center of the universe, but you in your spaceship would also not be in the center of the universe...
Time dilation and relativity just became clear to me. Understanding these things happens for me like that; moments of epiphany, I guess. It just snapped into focus, and I've got it now. When I'm reading things, tangent ideas constantly spawn in my brain, and those are the things that let me figure things out. I need to email the guy I mentioned with something, the physics head at uni. Seriously, awesome ideas now forming.
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.

Pneumonica

Post by Pneumonica »

Don Alexander wrote:
Pneumonica wrote:

Still, if you manage to survive the massive acceleration you need to get close to c, the plan would work, kind of. Though relativistic aberration would mess up your rear view... =((

And I get to have my OCDs too, for crying out loud!
It wouldn't need to be exactly there. And why the hell would I go there if I'd be dead before I got there, or even got to see it?

Also, there is a center to the universe - the origin point of the Big Bang constitutes a "center" (and is under no expansion dialation - although the physics behind it would make this threadjack last too long to discuss, it's there). I'm not talking geometric center, although most likely it would be the geometric center of the universe as well. Just because we can't see out far enough to identify it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Don Alexander wrote:
Bear wrote:That and your serveral thousand miles away and I don't know you well enough yet ;)
Dou you need to?? :D

And I'm really not going to comment on line one. *fears the ban hammer and appeases beary-mod with bacon*
:ymdevil: "Fear is the sark killer, fear is the little death that brings me closer to bacon" :ymdevil:

And yes... I'm not one of you hormonally charged, balding elder teens :D

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Pneumonica wrote:Also, there is a center to the universe - the origin point of the Big Bang constitutes a "center" (and is under no expansion dialation - although the physics behind it would make this threadjack last too long to discuss, it's there). I'm not talking geometric center, although most likely it would be the geometric center of the universe as well. Just because we can't see out far enough to identify it doesn't mean it isn't there.
x_x ~x( #-o

Repeat after me:

The. Big. Bang. Has. No. Origin. There. Is. No. Center. Of. The. Universe.

A "center" is a concept that exists within space-time only. The Big Bang created space-time, and thus happened everywhere at once, because there was no "anywhere" before the Big Bang.

Yes, this is mind-boggling. Totally incomprehensible for our puny minds. But it works, bitches. (To quote xkcd.) If you don't trust me on this, either concede your knowledge of modern cosmology is too limited (which is not an offense, you already know more than 99% of the world's population if you can imagine such a time-dilation journey.) or you choose to follow "alternate theories" for whatever reasons.

/threadjack. Sorry. But when it comes to physics, I become fierce.

@bear: Then what are you doing here??? :-\
ImageImage

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Of course there is a center of the universe. Its sitting over there in a bottle on my shelf *points to bottle of Baileys*