Jabber!

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Retiarius

Re: Jabber!

Post by Retiarius »

Artemisia wrote:English, supposedly, has the most words of any language in the world. This is probably because we tend to lure other languages into dark alleyways and mug them for their words, but...my maternal-maternal great-grandparents couldn't speak to each other in their native German because he was Prussian and she was Bavarian...And my maternal-paternal great-grandmother had trouble speaking to many Spanish-speakers from Latin American because she learned High Court Castillian Spanish...and my paternal grandparents may have spoken French, but nothing like they speak in Paris...

For all the ribbing people give English...everyone else is pretty bad too.
The original quotation for that came from James Nicholl, who posted it on Usenet in 1990: “The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.”

The more you know… :p
I think outside the tesseract.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I have that quote written down somewhere, but I thought I would paraphrase.
Don Alexander wrote:
Artemisia wrote:my maternal-maternal great-grandparents couldn't speak to each other in their native German because he was Prussian and she was Bavarian...
And they went on to produce progeny instead of kill each other like they should???? =))
Well, admittedly, her ancestors had arrived here about 1800 from Bavaria and he was a disgraced second son of a nobleman, and some of the stories about them that I've been told make most soap operas look tame.
yiraheerai wrote:Yeah, it's the same here with Spanish. Mexican Spanish is apparently pretty different from eastern NM Spanish. I think Shouri has made a tweet or two about how Argentinean Spanish is different from, say Uruguay. I don't really know any other language so I don't know if English has a good comparison to those or not.
English is, quite possibly, the language which has deviated the least over time, but we have some very specific differences. Gloria Anzaldua noted in one of her books that the Spanish she learned had no plural female pronoun the way Dominican did, and other differences between her Texas Borderlands Spanish and other dialects of Spanish. Whereas, English speakers can pretty much understand each other, though as Mikbuster notes, many slang words don't cross over like the word "fanny", which in American-English means butt or backside, but in British-English is slang for a woman's genitals.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Anyone else think this Queen song could have served as the inspiration for Interstellar? Cause it's pretty damn similar.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

It could be. Unfortunately, Interstellar is an interesting set of ideas wrapped in a horrible movie.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Happy Canada Day to our Canadian forum members. :ymparty:
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

409 years after the founding of Quebec....btw, this is the 150 anniversary of the Confederation of Canada. That is, officially, today is the 150th anniversary of the founding of the nation known as Canada...
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

And a Happy Independence Day to all of us from the United States. :ymparty:

To everyone else, a convivial Tuesday in July. :D
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Argh, do we have a way to contact peppercat? my award photo got taken down by photobucket and i have no way to recover it
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I don't know if any of you still use that emoji thread I have on Photobucket but if you do may want to save your favorites. I'm getting rid of the account. I rarely ever use it and the times when I do are full of ads and such lag. Such. Lag. PB said it'd be gone on the 28th.

Thread in question: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/yira/li ... ges/emotes
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Swayambhu
Booby Bunny

Post by Swayambhu »

So, this past year's been kind of weird. Without getting into super great detail here, I had to finally block somebody that I've actually known for a decade-ish now. Somebody that I actually knew and met because of this forum!

He was, uh...getting uncomfortable, creepy, petty and hostile.

To boot, work's been a strain. I hit my limit a little while back and I'm looking to put my two weeks in as soon as my car passes inspection and gets new tires.

Overall, this year's just been -- fast and exhausting. Hard to believe it's way behind me already.

Hope everyone else has been hanging in there. I miss gabbin' with y'all like back in the old days.
ImageImage

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I'm sorry you had to do that. It's never fun cutting people out of your life when they've been in it for so long :( Good luck in whatever venture you choose after your two weeks are put in. Hope you can hold on in the meantime.

Swayambhu
Booby Bunny

Post by Swayambhu »

yiraheerai wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:11 am
I'm sorry you had to do that. It's never fun cutting people out of your life when they've been in it for so long :( Good luck in whatever venture you choose after your two weeks are put in. Hope you can hold on in the meantime.
It's just particularly disappointing when the guy's vindictive nature and pettiness are the only reason he even remotely keeps you around. I got tired of him mocking me any time I let him see I had a bad day, and was finally like, "Okay, why do you--exactly want to be apart of my life? Is it solely to see me miserable? Yeah, hey, that's uh, not gonna happen anymore" and I outright blocked him on every outlet I could think of. The only one I can't block him on is this forum, and that's solely because it's a public forum, so he doesn't even need an account to lurk.
ImageImage

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

But...you can put them on 'ignore' and while they can post, you won't see what they have said unless you specifically open up the post to read it.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

If he posts, yeah. He could lurk and find out whatever she posts without signing in tho.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

That is true.