Jabber!

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Jabber!

Post by Don Alexander »

Happy New Year to those of us who can be happy!

For the rest of us, knuckle down and accept the continued suffering.

And now fuck off, 2016!!!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Still a little early for me, but as I'll be at work for the hour: Happy New Year all. :D :ymparty:
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Well, by now I can say this to everyone- happy new year.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

CyanideAngel
Cookie Angel

Post by CyanideAngel »

Hi I'm drunk. The forum seems dead. :(
Amor vincit omnia Nil illegitimi carborundum Carpe Diem Carpe Noctem
winner of the 2009 cutest forumite contest (females)
Teach's Angel Kitty and assistant giver of hugs

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

It waxes and wanes. What was your nip of choice tonight?
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

didn't realize jabber hasnt been posted in for such a while!
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Same.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, seeing the most powerful man in the wordl does enough jabbering to cover the entire world's need for jabber... :P

Anyway.

Not really newsworthy: Girlfriend of a colleague of mine has one of these, then I saw another girl in the supermarket today with one. Promptly, CNN to the explanatory rescue.

Oh, I also sold some Magic cards to said girlfriend today. :)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Link with the words

So.. German members of the forum? Why?
Attachments
german apple core.png
german apple core.png (13.98 KiB) Viewed 10268 times
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

A lot of those are obviously just dialectical variants the same word. Krose vs Kröse, frex. And a bunch are just adding various dialects words for 'apple' to the front of other ones.
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Exactly.

And I know pretty much none of them.
ImageImage

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

English, supposedly, has the most words of any language in the world. This is probably because we tend to lure other languages into dark alleyways and mug them for their words, but...my maternal-maternal great-grandparents couldn't speak to each other in their native German because he was Prussian and she was Bavarian...And my maternal-paternal great-grandmother had trouble speaking to many Spanish-speakers from Latin American because she learned High Court Castillian Spanish...and my paternal grandparents may have spoken French, but nothing like they speak in Paris...

For all the ribbing people give English...everyone else is pretty bad too.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Yeah, it's the same here with Spanish. Mexican Spanish is apparently pretty different from eastern NM Spanish. I think Shouri has made a tweet or two about how Argentinean Spanish is different from, say Uruguay. I don't really know any other language so I don't know if English has a good comparison to those or not.

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Well, we had exchange students that had interesting differences. We had one that wanted a "rubber" and it took a bit to clarify what was meant. Another liked the Viper car style, but pronounced it with a w sound. My parents visited some of them and their families later and some of their siblings were upset that they were learning the "wrong" English. There are some rather popular differences between English and American. One that we're commonly warned about is not to call it a "fanny pack" and say "bum bag" instead. The differences between dialects are mostly easy enough for people speaking the same language to at least understand each other. But even within this country you have the same drink called "soda pop", "soda", "pop", "coke", etc. So it can take some effort to understand each other.
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Artemisia wrote:my maternal-maternal great-grandparents couldn't speak to each other in their native German because he was Prussian and she was Bavarian...
And they went on to produce progeny instead of kill each other like they should???? =))
ImageImage