Jabber!

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Re: Jabber!

Post by yiraheerai »

Kori Bing on Twitter wrote:remember, if someone tries to tell you that Lovecraft wasn’t racist as all shit and you don’t want to go into a whole thing about why they’re wrong, just ask if they know what his cat’s name was and walk away.
Naiive little me: /Googles/ I wonder how bad it--

A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

The only thing surprising is he used 2 words. I knew exactly what it was going to be. (He named a cat in The Rats in the Walls after it...or possibly vice versa...don't know whether the real or fictional cat came first.) And, I mean...this is Lovecraft. Dude was racist as hell, man.
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I've never read Lovecraft. I've never been fond of horror which is what I hear the dude specialized in (or what was horror for his time anyway). So this was a surprise to me. The first link in the Google search was about the book and how he owned a cat by the same name until 1901. I did not click it.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Kamino Neko wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:45 am
The only thing surprising is he used 2 words. I knew exactly what it was going to be. (He named a cat in The Rats in the Walls after it...or possibly vice versa...don't know whether the real or fictional cat came first.) And, I mean...this is Lovecraft. Dude was racist as hell, man.
He would often make anti-semitic remarks and his wife would have to remind him she fell under that category.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

yiraheerai wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:50 am
I've never been fond of horror which is what I hear the dude specialized in (or what was horror for his time anyway).
Not just for his age, it's horror for all ages, especially the end of ages...

There are some Lovecraft stories like The Street where his racism shimmers through, yes, but luckily, most of his writings (that was my impression, at least) is free of it.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Vote!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

A very Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans. A convivial Thursday in November to everyone else. :D
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I've had Zoot Suit Riot stuck in my head for the last two days. The thing is, since I know Grapefruit Diet's lyrics better, the two bleed into each other. It's not even witty, just a bleed of the two songs together.

"Who's that whispering in the trees?
It's just me cause I love to eat."

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Happy Merry Christmachanukwanzasaturnalisolstiyulekkah, everybody. Hope you all had a good one. :D :ymhug: :ymparty:

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Merry Christmas everyone. But only christmas /suddenexclusionarybigot
ImageImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Happy new year, forumites!!
ImageImage

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

May 2019 be better for everyone than 2018.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Happeh new year!
ImageImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Happy New Year.

Error of Logic wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:01 am
May 2019 be better for everyone than 2018.

Fucking A.