Anime lovers

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Bear
BANNED

Re: Anime lovers

Post by Bear »

The problem with Anime in England is that we only tend to get the mainstream stuff... Pokemon, Avatar, YuGiOh etc, and usually they put it on at relly bad times for people to regularly watch so that its hard to keep a track of it. Just remembered one that I did catch that I rather enjoyed, not sure if it counts as Anime since its French, but it was W.I.T.C.H .

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

There was also Witch Hunter Robin, i really liked that one.

oh and there was this other one. About this team of 3 Paper masters [people who use paper as weapons..with lethal precision and styles]

edit : typos : p
Last edited by Tenjen on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Okay... Tenjen's typing is really screwed up.. Tenjen needs sleep. *Stuffs him into bed and tucks him up with a Beary-Mod Plushie*

Pintsize

Post by Pintsize »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned these: (I only skimmed, but I don't think i saw them)
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star.
These two are tied in second place for my favorite anime.
First is Azumanga. I love osaka <3 She is to awesome.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

Lucky Star is love! Did you see the ova?
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Pneumonica

Post by Pneumonica »

Tenjen wrote:There was also Witch Hunter Robin, i really liked that one.

oh and there was this other one. About this team of 3 Paper masters [people who use paper as weapons..with lethal precision and styles]

edit : typos : p
Read or Die (the TV version). There was also an OVA series IIRC, that featured only one paper master (who is the fourth paper master girl towards the end of the series). The mangas are also very fun.
Further affiant sayeth not.

Pintsize

Post by Pintsize »

Fen wrote:Lucky Star is love! Did you see the ova?
No, I haven't even sen all the first series episodes yet. :( Stuff keeps getting in the way.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Theres also stuff like Hotel Boin, F3, Another Lady Innocent and bible black to name a few. [coughmongstmanycough*]

but those arent "anime" as such >.>

Oh and the bible black franchise is the Happy Tree Friends of its genre...
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Pintsize wrote:(...) my favorite anime.
Psst. Don't tell anyone as it may further jeapordize my Evil reputation (especially Don Alexander!)... but Osaka is my favorite character in the series too. :D
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Swayambhu
Booby Bunny

Post by Swayambhu »

You know, I started watching Death Note...

But only got so far in when I quit watching it. It was only good up until a particular point I don't want to spoil, but as a clue-in, it had to do with certain folks' memory losses. 8-|
ImageImage

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

My all-time favourite at the moment is FLCL.

I'm just not sure how to explain it...it's just so....postmodern.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Asaryu wrote:My all-time favourite at the moment is FLCL.

FLCL is both the most awesome of awesomeness anime to have ever been created... and the worst possible anime for a person to start out on. :)) As I said before, they put so many little gags and jokes and asides that refer to other classic anime cliches (and some very specific shows) that you only get it all through multiple showings. And even then, it doesn't hurt to look online and catch other little tidbits.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

i prefered Azumanga actually. Especially the crazy dream sequences
ImageImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Dirty n Evil wrote:
Pintsize wrote:(...) my favorite anime.
Psst. Don't tell anyone as it may further jeapordize my Evil reputation (especially Don Alexander!)... but Osaka is my favorite character in the series too. :D
I saw what you did there. :D

But as I am "Who be this Osaka they all be talking about? :-\ " your reputation is safe... For now. :ymdevil:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

Dirty n Evil wrote:
Asaryu wrote:My all-time favourite at the moment is FLCL.

FLCL is both the most awesome of awesomeness anime to have ever been created... and the worst possible anime for a person to start out on. :)) As I said before, they put so many little gags and jokes and asides that refer to other classic anime cliches (and some very specific shows) that you only get it all through multiple showings. And even then, it doesn't hurt to look online and catch other little tidbits.
I love the asides...I get so much more out of texts that I have to work hard at. I feel a little sense of accomplishment when I finally see the gag and go "OOOhhhh...I get it now!" And then I go back to watching it after seeing some other anime, and it opens up again into a series of jokes that I didn't notice before. I think it's great. Kind of like Jasper Fforde's series'...you get so much more out of it over time and you relaly need multiple readings to truly appreciate some of the things that are in it. Unfortunately, a lot of my conversations end up like that...I talk like the texts that I enjkoy. It's the problem with having been anti-social for most of my youth, I talk like books and films, and not like a person at all.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.