Anime lovers

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Re: Anime lovers

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Galaxy Express 999

Found this yesterday on YouTube, the full movie without interuptions. Wow. I hadn't seen this movie since I was perhaps 8 or 9, and having watched it again from beginning to end... I'm kinda scared to see all the little influences that this one movie had on my psyche. As a youth I was often drawn to movies and stories that I didn't completely "get" right away, but would rather sit and slowly ferment in my mind. The soundtrack perfect fits the scenes, as well.

What is funny is the last time I caught a part of this on television, I tuned in to the very end of the Roger Corman version... and I remember how unhappy I was. To the point of mocking the movie. The idea of Captain Harlock being called Captain "Warlock" and talking like a bad John Wayne rip-off? Horrific.

On another Anime / YouTube related note, I discovered that there are many Anime series available to watch for free from beginning to end. :) Through Funimation Entertainment there are tons of free shows to watch. A really good feature to use if you're interested in a show, but want a good peek first. Or if you're cheap and with a very comfortable computer chair. :))
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Big D

Post by Big D »

Two I watched lately.
Redline - futristic motor racing. Brash, colourful and utterly bonkers. I thought it was great.
Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack - Zombie fish on mechanical legs invade Tokyo. I thought it was going to be goofy monster fun. What I got was weapons-grade Nightmare Fuel.
I wibble on about books, Heavy Metal and other stuff Here

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

theres also http://pinoyanime.tv for your free anime needs.

rewatching gurran laggan.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Started watching Kampfer, it's pretty funny, nothing new about its story/plot though.
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Another foray into delightful WTFuckery from our friends in Japan. I present Girls und Panzer.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Oh my, somebody put a plot to a high skin modded game of World of Tanks. :))
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Oy vey, been watching that series on Animeflavor today. Cute and fun.

Couple of little notes. Apparently the director forbade panty shots, despite the tiny skirts. That said, the occasional swimsuit, furo scene, and other gratuitous fanservice is there, but not too excessively. Also, the typical girls school 'yuri subtext' is barely there.

Big D

Post by Big D »

Is it wrong that I caught snippets of that and was going "Ooh. They've got Matildas. Cool"?
I wibble on about books, Heavy Metal and other stuff Here

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

If you got any love of WWII era tanks, the visuals,will make you drool. The tanks are very detailed, inside and outside.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

They even got the drivers position in the M3 Lee correct as well as the forms of the M4 variants.
Last edited by Azrael on Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

And if anybody wonders about tanks with the rather silly color schemes, that only lasted one battle. The StuG III with the banners in particular learned that isn't a good idea. #-o

And, if you are also wondering, they handwave avoiding any serious injuries with some reference to a carbon coating inside the tanks. No, they don't bother trying to explain how that works, just roll with it... :))

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

I've been watching Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo lately. It's had me laughing my ass off.
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Girls und Panzer ep. 7 is out.

In which we get at least an explaination as to why they galavant around the World living on mega-carriers and the girls go in search of more and better tanks for their next battles.

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Wonder if they are going to do a flashback to show any of that battle...

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

It was just the Italians, so who cares. :p There is another .5 episode coming, so they very well may.