Anime lovers

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Anime lovers

Post by Fen »

So, we have TV, movies, music, why not anime? What are you watching, and what have you watched?

I'm currently watching a sh*tload of currently airing series, and Hack/Sign. Hack/sign's pretty good, although the face designs kind of bug me.
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Anime lovers

Post by Don Alexander »

Fen wrote:So, we have TV, movies, music, why not anime? What are you watching, and what have you watched?

I'm currently watching a sh*tload of currently airing series, and Hack/Sign. Hack/sign's pretty good, although the face designs kind of bug me.
No other answers yet??

I've hardly watched anything. Several Myazaki movies :x and Neon Genesis Evangelion in it's awesome completeness, including Death and Rebirth and The End of Evangelion. Aaaaawwwwwwwwwesome!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Maybe if it was about general cartoons rather then Anime as the only stuff you can class as anime that I've seen is stuff like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Bear wrote:Maybe if it was about general cartoons rather then Anime as the only stuff you can class as anime that I've seen is stuff like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh.
Oh, yeah, I also saw the first three Pokemon movies - in the cinema, no less. with two friends who are much more into anime and manga than I am. Was kind of weird, we were probably the only people above 14 who were not parents accompanying their little children who saw those movies. :D
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

The Irreponsible Captain Tylor. Best anime ever.

Others I enjoyed: Tenchi, Ranma, Slayers, Escaflowne, Rune Soldier.
Last edited by Scaramouche on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Thats one good thing about being a nerd... your excuse from going to places that normal people would usually fear to tread.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

Bear wrote:Maybe if it was about general cartoons rather then Anime as the only stuff you can class as anime that I've seen is stuff like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh.
Well, cartoons and anime are completely different things. particulary ebcause most cartoons are addressed to kids and/or family, whilst anime can range in everything from shows directed at 4-year-olds to shows involving certain things that are directed at 4yearolds...Though those are never released on tv.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Oh I know that cartoons and anime are generally different, but as I said before.. YuGiOh and Pokemon are both classified as anime and thy're aimed at kids... But I know what you mean there.

I guess most of the general Anime I've watched is really counted more as movies then shows though... Things like Princess Mononoke, which I loved, and Howls Moving Castle etc... I only normally get to see the more mainstreamed anime unfortuantely...

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Oh god lets see. Iam not into anime as much as i was. iam more into manga nad webcomics now.

but lets see

Vandread
Hellsing
Excel Saga
various Gundams
That crazy anime with that girl named after a cake, mil-fuu-el or something. One of the chars is a trigger happy tall red head with huge knockers.
Evangelion
naruto [mangas better[
bleach [mangas better[
Chobits [MANGAS WAY FRIKKIN BETTER]
Love hina ( THE ANIME IS NOTHING TO THE MANGA!!}
ranma [mangabetter]
Captain Harlock
Samurai X [manga better]
Ghostsweeper Reiko Mikami [an old school classic that i love]
a few of the .hacks [didnt appeal to me]
Hell Girl
All the Ghost in the Shell stuff.
[whats that vampire movie wiht the half vamp who has a talkative parasite in his hand?]

many others i cant remember in my sleep deprived state.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Fen wrote:Well, cartoons and anime are completely different things. particulary ebcause most cartoons are addressed to kids and/or family, whilst anime can range in everything from shows directed at 4-year-olds to shows involving certain things that are directed at 4yearolds...Though those are never released on tv.
Well, there are some cartoons that are clearly not for kids... Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2, anyone??
ImageImage

farthingale
Gynecratic Romanticist

Post by farthingale »

Oky-dokey, here we go *cracks knuckles*. Here's a thread I can get into.

Right. I'm quite into anime. Not too much. Just quite. Enough to be a monthly reviewer for the South African anime magazine "Otaku". Enough to half two bookshelves (indiviual 'shelf's, not entire units!) and about five spindles full of anime, enough to order expensive and rare posters and figurines online, and enough to have taught myself a fair amount of Japanese (and no, not entirely from reading anime subtitles ;) ).

My first favourite anime was -- as you can tell from my avatar -- Revolutionary Girl/ Shojo Kakumei Utena, which is a post-modern, symbolist trip-hop of a rose-garnered schoolgirl dramedy thriller romance. :ymhug: And there were two main characters who I very much identified with the personalities and personal weaknesses and neuroses I saw in myself and my intended-girlfriend of that time. It is an anime that I suggest for people who enjoy non-literal, complex storylines and dark, mature themes delivered in a sophisticated classical French style, complete with militistic school uniforms and fencing.

My current favourite anime is Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. It's a psychological thriller that has captured me more than any other I've reviewed in recent memory, for its combination of terrifying mental degeneration through paranoia and monstrous distortion of the imaginary camera lens at such high tension moments. Season Two (Kai) is good, though perhaps slightly less exciting, and resolves and fleshes out many of the mysteries and confusion of Season One. It also swicthes the main character.

An anime that is not new but that I only first watched a couple of months ago (despite having had it for over a year), is Uta-Kata. This surprised me by being a lot more than I thought it would be. It is a fantasy-realism approach to a coming of age story, with influences of paganism in its attitude to nature. Like Utena, it is through an attractive, apparently innocent young feminine veil, that the viewer experiences some decidedly adult and uncomfortably real themes concerning human nature.

Those are my recommendations. Go forth! :-* <kisu>
Dashing Gentlelady of the Elder Cave Harem. Defender of Honour, Ripper of Bodices.
Image Image

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

farthingale wrote:Right. I'm quite into anime. Not too much. Just quite.
Not too much?? :-o

Dryope is going to :x you!! Carry on. ;)

Oh, yeah, one more anime movie I know, and actually have on DVD, is Paprika. The soundtrack is awesome, especially the Parade Theme.
ImageImage

harbino

Post by harbino »

Anime rules!!!!

But the only place I can access anime is either stream it online or torrent it.... living in the UK sucks... we have lots of cultures apart from Japan. :(

I just want to buy some :((

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

fansubbers exist for a reason:P.
Anyone got a MAL list? here's mine.

It's hard to decide on a favourite, but Kanon is my major weakness. also, Nana got me into shoujo:P. i so love Nana. Beck also had nice music. Full metal Alchemist is by far my favourite story-wise, though. I haven't read the manga, nor do I want to. The anime is just too good.

the last one I watched and adored was ef-a tale of memories(haven't gotten around to watching a tale of melodies, tho). Honey and Clover was also rovu-rovu, though.

Currently, I'm sad that I finished Aria. :(. Want moar. I can't sleep well without my Aria. i tried similar anime(Sketchbook, Yokohama), but it's just not the same. Sketchbook was awesome, but it wasn't as zen as Aria, and Yokohama was... TOO zen. I swear, i fell asleep 18 times whilst trying to watch the first episode of Quiet Country Cafe=/. 18 times! Gave me nice dreams for 2 weeks:).

farthingale
Gynecratic Romanticist

Post by farthingale »

harbino wrote:Anime rules!!!!

But the only place I can access anime is either stream it online or torrent it.... living in the UK sucks... we have lots of cultures apart from Japan. :(

I just want to buy some :((

Have you tried online stores? There are some awesome pedigreed ones. For years I've bought from http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/
Dashing Gentlelady of the Elder Cave Harem. Defender of Honour, Ripper of Bodices.
Image Image