The Goggle Box!

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Bear
BANNED

The Goggle Box!

Post by Bear »

With a thread for just about every other type of media, it would be kind of surprising if we didn't have one for the good old Television too.

Is there a show you love? One you hate? Did you just watch something and think 'what the hell?' Could you do without television, or have you found it outdated since the internet and DvD's started to take over? Anything TV related goes here.

To start... Theres a show currently running that I'm pretty hooked to called 'Last Man Standing'. Basically its a group of 6 athletes from around the world, well three from America and three from England, who are sent to travel the globe and visit various tribes to compete in their tribal sports. Last week for instance was Butenese Archery, and this week was a cross-country race in the artic with a tribe of reindeer herders.

I just love the show as appart from seeing the different takes to the sports around the world, the show also tries to immerse you into a little of the culture of the tribe their visiting and show their way of life.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: The Goggle Box!

Post by Don Alexander »

To continue the tradiation of being the first to answer Bear's new threads...

I'll say that I grew up almost without a television and have none in my appartement. the only stuff I try to watch is Olympics, and World and European football championships.

Though I watched quite a few games this summer via streaming... which would leave the topic. ;)
Last edited by Don Alexander on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

I'll allow streaming to count as TV if its something that would normally be on a television station. :)

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

Science fiction:
Babylon 5.
Firefly.
Blake's 7.
Stargate SG1/Atlantis.
Starhunter 2300.
Farscape.
Andromeda.
Heroes.
Doctor Who.
Torchwood.
(So just about any science fiction series really :P )

Comedy:
Spaced.
The Goodies.
Black Books.
Monty Python's Flying Circus.
Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.
Red Dwarf (must add this).
Blackadder, yes. Great show.

Apart from those (DVD rather than on air), I generally watch documentaries and the news. Oh, there's a new show called My Own Worst Enemy that seems interesting, and I've quite liked a new vampire show called True Blood.
Last edited by Scaramouche on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.

JTHomeslice

Post by JTHomeslice »

I read this as the Google box :ymparty:

House is one the greatest shows ever.

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

Heroes. Beyond that, it's generally just what I flip on when I'm bored.
ImageHEAD TECHNOLOGIST and GUARDIAN OF THE "THRONE".Image

CHIEF PROPHET OF CACAO, THE LORD AND GOD OF CHOCOLATIANITY

FSU Class of 2014!
Ailith wrote:Yes, it was intimate, it was passionate, it was sensual, and it ended with a few orgasms. So yeah, counts as sex to me.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Well I was hoping for more of a debate and reasoning as to why people loved or hated the shows then this... lol.

Red Dwarf... the origional and greatest Sci-Fi comedy ever. Theres just something about the setting of the last living human, who's an uncouth bum, his superior officer who's a hologram, a creature that evolved from a cat, a cleaning android and a ships computer thats going senile that makes an awesomly funny series that ended way before its time was up even if it did run for 9 series.

Arantor

Post by Arantor »

There was a ninth series? Series 8 was atrocious enough.

The books were better, IMO.

Me, I love Star Trek (TOS and TNG). I always loved the fact that people of all backgrounds could work together in a future without us having destroyed ourselves through petty bickering.

Also love CSI (Vegas, mostly). It's interesting without being quite too scientific. I do have a collection of miscellaneous TV on DVD, mostly for its interest and/or comedy value - X Files, Jeeves and Wooster, That 70s Show, QI, the first few series of The Simpsons... erm... and my next acquisition will be the complete Monty Python boxset since that has extras (which is why I didn't buy the 4 individual seasons).

tilde

Post by tilde »

Regulars:
========
House. (Definitely a lot of fun (although the recent Cuddy-kiss caught me off-gaurd, I must admit)...I have a total man-crush on Hugh Laurie)
Entourage. (mindless, but entertaining)
Big Love. (can't wait for this to start up again...the writing is great...total squirm-inducing show)

When-availables:
==============
Jeeves & Wooster. (with Stephen Fry & Hugh Laurie)
Firefly. (just love to throw any episode on and re-watch...it was a stellar show)
Coronation Street. (although not so much in the past few years)
Jeopardy. (Alex Trebek. Need I say more?)
The L Word. (The plotlines were even good sometimes!)
Law & Order: SVU/CI (Chris Meloni & Vince d'Onofrio both kick ass, and Mariska Hargitay is smokin')
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. (Wernher von Braun)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

The only shows on the boob tube that I watch with any regularity at this time:
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Heroes
House
Jeopardy
, just about the only game show I can stand to watch.

Others that hold interest but I donot get to watch much for whatever reason:
CSI
NCIS
My Own Worst Enemy
Fringe
Sanctuary

There have been others in the past, but they are all pretty much dead and gone now:
Babylon 5
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Firefly
, This one I mourn most of all, not so much for what it was but for what it could have been
Space: Above and Beyond , see above
Farscape

There are other I'm sure but they are not coming to mind right now, perhaps later.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

House is cool. Sarcasm always adds something for me. Good humor.
Dexter is funny and awesome.
Robot Chicken. Just... yea. I love that show.
Friday night stand-up on Comedy Central used to be pretty cool, but I don't actually have tv, and I'm not sure they do that anymore.
Um, it's been so long since I've actually sat in front of the tube. That's all for now I guess.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

tilde

Post by tilde »

Oooh yeah, forgot Dexter. I just rented Season 2 and am digging it.
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. (Wernher von Braun)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

I watched the first season of Dexter, but then things trailed off for me in the second season and I lost interest in the show. I don't know what it was as it was the same stuff as the first season, but it just lost some of its appeal to me.

House is always awesome. I just wish the channel that shows them here would hurry up with the new one. The season with the bus crash at the end was the one that we last saw and I want to see the new one as I heard there was an episode with House running around with a meat clever.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Nice to see some Firefly fans around!!

I first saw Serenity at the movies, then got the Firefly DVD box some months later and absolutely loved it.

So I don't really associate it with television.

I've watched the whole thing twice already. The second time, in one piece, along with Serenity, with a friend, who also thought it was awesome.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Keep meaning to get the Firefly Box set myself since I loved Serenity.