The Goggle Box!

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Bear
BANNED

Re: The Goggle Box!

Post by Bear »

Just a shame that the actual series isn't as good as it could have been... I mean, Sarah Conner Chronicles is watchable... it just doesn't live up to the hype and it screws over well established Terminator Timelines.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Well on that note, it's not like T3: Rise of the Machines did not try to dagger the whole bloody series anyway.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Azrael wrote:Well on that note, it's not like T3: Rise of the Machines did not try to dagger the whole bloody series anyway.
I'd have to rewatch it. But I'm not so sure this is true, if you accept that deeds in the present (T2) affect the future, while still making certain outcomes inevitable. Creating alternate universes.

Anyway, if you go for fully closed time loops, then the end of T2, at the very least, should have made T1 impossible, thus preventing John Connor's birth... :p
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

poo-poo-face

Post by poo-poo-face »

Show I absolutely CANNOT miss
Ugly Betty
Gossip Girl

Shows that I don't go out of my way to watch but watch if it's on
America's Next Top Model
The Ghost Whisperer
any other show on Fox or CBC other than Seinfeld :p

Shows that I can't STAND!!
Hannah Montana
'nuff said.
i like cheese.

demoncat

Post by demoncat »

I haven't gotten to watch any of this season of Big Bang Theory but I loved the last season. :)

I can't stand the show "How It's Made" just for the theme music. It's strange and offputting. /:)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Don Alexander wrote:
Azrael wrote:Well on that note, it's not like T3: Rise of the Machines did not try to dagger the whole bloody series anyway.
I'd have to rewatch it. But I'm not so sure this is true, if you accept that deeds in the present (T2) affect the future, while still making certain outcomes inevitable. Creating alternate universes.

Anyway, if you go for fully closed time loops, then the end of T2, at the very least, should have made T1 impossible, thus preventing John Connor's birth... :p

Well that is where all the alternate and divergent timelines come into play I guess.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

You know, skynet can't be that smart... Wouldn't it have been easier to just kill John Conners father in the future before he went back, or... just not invent time travel so he could never have been born in the first place?

Its the pre-destination paradox. If Skynet hadn't come to power, there wouldn't be the need for the reistance, and John Conner wouldn't be important. But because he was important, Skynet sent the terminator back to kill him, which in turn led to the resistance sending back his father and John Conner being born in the first place.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

You got it, bear.

If you want to do fully closed time loops, you need to be careful. Here would be an idea: Some dystopian future after a great catastrophe. People get sent back in time to prevent said catastrophe. And in the end, they are the ones to actually cause it (as the catastrophe has wiped the history books, they could not have known).

But in the end, I don't care, and =p~ when thinking about Terminator Salvation!!!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Its the one thing that always got me about time travel... Either you got back, do absolutely nothing and the future remains the same, you go back into the past, do something which alters the future, which should mean you shouldn't have been able to come back and cause it in the first place, or you come back, do whatever the hell you like, and things still turn out the same. It would be interesting to see just which of those it true as the reprocussions of it could be massive...

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Bear wrote:Its the one thing that always got me about time travel... Either you got back, do absolutely nothing and the future remains the same, you go back into the past, do something which alters the future, which should mean you shouldn't have been able to come back and cause it in the first place, or you come back, do whatever the hell you like, and things still turn out the same. It would be interesting to see just which of those it true as the reprocussions of it could be massive...
Bear, it's rather long but watching this video might prove interesting - The Tenth Dimension. What can be inferred is that because there is an infinite amount of possible choices in one's lifetime, with each potential and each nuance representing another metaphorical "fork in the road"... it doesn't matter if you go back in time and shoot yourself before you make your trip through time. Because there are just too many versions of you in the past, it's actually more likely that you came from another possible alternative in time than from the very one that you ended up in.

Let's say you did somehow managed to travel exclusively through the one dimension of your particular reality's past, and then did something to alter it and still travel back to your very same singular dimension of time... yes, the reprocussions of any actions could be massive as you said. However, it could be claimed that from a quantum level that since observation affects results, one's simple presence (even if not detected by any other person) can change the past - the butterfly effect on a grand scale given duration to amplify it.

But since the law of physics doesn't like to be broken (just ask Scotty of Star Trek!) - I don't think you'd be able to change your own past. Most likely, your mere presence in a past causes too many changes to have allowed you to change it... which means, you've more likely moved in the 6th dimension as illustrated by that video. Not actually gone back into your own past and tinkered with bad things. But because there are too many versions of your past, you could think you've done massive nasty changes, when in fact all you've done is mucked up some other version of yourself in another dimension.
:-B
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

@DnE: All this seems to build pretty much on the multi-worlds interpretation of Quantum Mechanics. :-B

The question would be... How do you actually switch whole universes, which is about as bad as creating the possibility of paradoxes in linear time-stream travel.

But, ahem, TV anyone?? O:-) I got nuffin... :(
ImageImage

NobodySpecial

Post by NobodySpecial »

I'm even worse, Don. It seems like the only show worth watching when I'm home is What Not To Wear. I find that sad on way too many levels.
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll

"If love is the answer, you're home."

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Yes.. back to TV.... Doctor Who and all its spin-offs rule! :D It seems weird that one can enjoy Doctor Who, aimed at the family market, The Sarah Jane Adventures, aimed at kids, and Torchwood, aimed at adults, all equally. Okay, perhaps its not that weird since in effect its all good quality English Sci-fi, but normally if they dumb down a show for a different audience something about it seems lacking...

That said, I can't wait for the Doctor Who Christmas Special and hope that we get proper Torchwood and Doctor Who series sooner then 2010...

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

This reminds me that I loved watching Doctor Who wayyyyy back in my childhood in the mid-80's when I was visiting my folks in the US (they had TVs - natch. In just about every room...). I hardly remeber anything except that I loved the theme music, thought the Doctor's hat and shawl were cool, and wanted a TARDIS.
ImageImage

Pneumonica

Post by Pneumonica »

I am going to speak what is blasphemy in many circles. Indeed, maybe this belongs in the Confessions thread. =))

Tom Baker is not my favorite Doctor. :-o My favorite is actually Sylvester McCoy. You may now all murder me. b-(
Further affiant sayeth not.