Storytelling Discussion

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: Storytelling Discussion

Post by Artemisia »

Just to let everyone know, I'm having to do the wrap up on my practicum report, so I'm going to have to post a short questionnaire asking you all how the experience was. I'll do that this weekend.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Alright...time to get this done since I have to get this mailed off on Saturday-

1) Were the prompts creative?
2) Were the prompts inspiring?
3) Did the prompts help with practicing writing?
4) Was it helpful to be encouraged to write?
5) Was the overall experience positive or negative?
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Artemisia, did you want these answers PM'ed to you, or did you want them publicly posted in this thread? Just being cautious before I do something that I shouldn't. :D
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

If you feel more comfortable, you can message them to me directly.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Someone recommended that I might consider continuing to post prompts. If you guys want to join in, please do :) And if you want to post stories from past prompts, I would love it.

Next prompt:
There's a lot of stuff in fandom out there about gender swapping. I thought it would be interesting to write a scene where you take one or two of your favorite characters and gender swap them and then write a scene about how they are fairing in the world they are from.

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

http://fav.me/d6ovpy9
Since I already followed that prompt once, and enjoyed how it turned out, here's a link for others ;)
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I hope nobody takes offense, but I might actually bow out for a little while on the writing exercises. For a good reason. Between the practice that I've had getting back into the swing of things as well as long conversations with my friend Ben who's getting his own book published... I'm throwing my efforts into trying to write a novel again. :)

I really want to credit these storytelling exercises as the largest part of getting me back into the habit, though. It forced me into the practice of writing with any regularity or frequency, to think about stories and what sorts of stories I want to tell. If I stall out or find myself needing a slight kick start, I might jump in for the fun of it. And they have been fun, Artemisia.

But right now, I'm writing in the evenings while at work I'm stealing a minute here or a minute there working on the outline. I'm trying something interesting... I've always been fond of the author Charles DeLint, who likes the more folktale pattern of stories that are more about the journey than simply having the story wrap up once major conflict is resolved. I'm fond of fantasy stories, and I'm finding that trying to build a fantasy story that bends to the "journey traveled" model is a very odd thing. Odd... but not bizarre. It's still a work in process, though, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I hope you don't mind me relaying this to my advisor :)

And I don't mind at all. This just went very informal. I'm using the prompts to think of things and if anyone wants to join in, they're welcome :)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Please relay it... I'm quite happy with the experience of these writing prompts. :)

It's my experience that writing is like exercising. If you're not doing any, it's so difficult to get any momentum to do so frequently. But once you develop a habit of it, it becomes easier. It's not a chore anymore, you don't have to push yourself to get through it. After a while, you look forwards to it.

Ages ago, I read in one of Roald Dahl's books where he talked about his own personal method for writing - he said he would sit down every day and approach it like a job. Whether he saved what he wrote or not, he wrote for several hours. Well, I never had "several hours" to commit to this, but I found that when I sat down with any regularity and tried writing for at least an hour each time it was far easier to get into the "writing mindset". Dahl had looked down on the "waiting for inspiration" writing method, and after trying this I had to agree. I think it's the Pavlovian response - the learned, unconscious behavior. If you develop a pattern of doing certain things before writing, when you follow those patterns your mind falls into the proper way of thinking in which to write.