Pets: Friends & Masters

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Re: Pets: Friends & Masters

Post by yiraheerai »

Speaking of the little bugger, here's how he plays. https://plus.google.com/105907934054870 ... WmPErxsExm

Sorry for the Google+ It was already saved there from my phone and I didn't feel like downloading it to put it somewhere else.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I am such a silly mess over Saskia. I was trimming her nails last night, when I came across a nail that just surprised me. Somehow, it had grown in twice as long and twice as thick as all her other nails - long enough that it now curves under and rests on the footpad of her toe. And on close examination, I saw some slight tenderness to that same footpad, even though she isn't limping or showing signs of it bothering her. I was worried about clipping it myself and snipping the nailbed, so I've contacted my former roomie because his mother was a vet assistant for many years. I figured I'll bring Saskia over to see her, and since it's not a serious issue she can help out with it. Still, I can't stop thinking about it. I was laying in bed for a full hour before I got to sleep because my brain would stop obsessing over what I'm certain is a minor problem.

But I also know I'm very lucky because at 11 and a half, if this is one of the more serious health issues Saskia has had in recent years, then she's been fortunate.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

It happens, my Poly-dactyl Bobcat/Manx had that happen (usually with his "extras") My vet just said to be careful when I trim them. But then his claws were clear enough to see the bed. All in all, It's nothing to worry too much about. But It's good you're taking such an interest.
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

You should make a pendant/necklace of it. The mighty Tiger's Claw!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Adamas, you're right. I sent a pic through my phone, and my friend's mom confirmed that's all it was. I was careful (even though Saskia was overacting like I was committing kitty abuse) and successfully trimmed it back. I've just never seen a cat's nail do that, but from what I was told it isn't that uncommon. Essentially cat's claws grow in scales, and either through scratching or self-grooming those scales most often get pulled off when they grow too big. This one hadn't, and as her claw grew longer it curled up a bit and was resting against her footpad. I'm just glad I caught it when I did and could address it myself.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I've mentioned my friend Paul's cats (and posted some really blurry images of them) in the past. Well, earlier today he took a pretty good pic of them that I thought I'd share.

The one on the right is Varmint (she's the one with all the health issues), and behind her is her much larger sister Scrambles. According to the vets, Varmint has only grown to about the size of a six month old when she's a bit over a year because of her heart defect... but a lot of signs are showing that the rest of her body are slowly adapting to her condition. She's not getting as badly winded when she exerts herself, plus it's neither lasting as long or happening as frequently. The Vets did confess to Paul at her 1 year check up that they truly didn't expect her to live this long - which I told him was just proof that he's done everything he could for her.

Scrambles is the big scaredy cat, always running from every little sound and sudden movement. However, I've made it a point to be especially nice to her when I come to visit, so whenever she's in one of her "safe places" (such as the cat furniture the two of them are lounging on in this picture) she'll give a bright meow in greeting and happily let me pet her as long as I want. In the rest of the house Scrambles is still skittish, but I'm making progress.

Just thought people would appreciate kitty pictures. :)

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

I've kinda avoided this part of the forums lately but we've had an example of the Wheel that I thought you guys should know about.

About the start of the year my Red-tabby Stinky had himself a rectal prolapse. After a surgery, and a week in the Vet's care, we were able to bring him home and told to keep him basicly in "Crate Rest" (In his case,keep in a room by himself) for a month. A week after he gets the stitches taken out, it happened again, not as bad that time, but they put in a "pursestring" suture to try and hold everything in place until enough scar-tissue had built up to hopefully keep everything where it was supposed to be. so 6 weeks of that the suture stretched and had to have it removed but enough scar tissue had formed that the vet was fairly confident that it should hold...it didn't. Less than a week later the worst one yet and there was only two options, an expensive surgery to basically tack-stitch his colon to his body-wall to hold it in place, that not only couldn't the vet guarantee would fix the problem but if it happened again with the stitches in Stinky would die fast and painfully either from internal bleeding or septic shock, or put him to sleep. So I held him and wished him a good journey to the Summerlands a couple weeks ago.

That was the sad. The happy is our Siamese-mix girl Little Jean gave birth today. So far I've only seen one kitten and she's wedged into a closet corner so I couldn't see if she has any others.
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

DnE: Those cats are cute!

Adamas: I'm sorry to hear about Stinky. It never seems right when have to make decisions like this. :ymhug: I will eagerly awaiting a report on mama and baby(ies).
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Oh, Adamas... I'm so very sorry to hear about Stinky. :( :ymhug: Medical decisions are never easy ones - but it truly sounds as though you made the choices that were best for him. My sincere condolences.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

@DnE: So it's Nermal and Garfield? :P Good to hear that Varmint is doing better! :)

@Adamas: Poor Stinky. :( My condolences! :ymhug: :ymhug:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

HUGS Adamas...I'm sorry to hear that, but certainly understand.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Thanks guys. :ymhug: As for the kittens, it looks like we have 2 but it's hard to tell since Jean stays curled around them tight enough that all I can see is a dark spot with ears and a pale spot with ears in the middle of a Siamese doughnut. :p

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I took Tycho to the park today and ran into something that's never happened before: he stopped walking. No sitting down or anything. He just refused to move. He was done. It wasn't even as far as we usually go, though we were more active than usual at the house, roaming around the yard and stuff. It's 88 degrees right now. It was probably about 79 or 80 when we went to the park (though I'm guessing on this). It was hot. I have no idea if the heat was the reason, if he'd actually gotten tired, or if it was both. Either way, I carried him for a little ways until we got to the steps since my balance is horrible and I didn't want to fall and injure him going down the steps.

What worries me most, though, is that, for whatever reason, he doesn't drink when we're out. We can be in the park, the dog park, in the truck, in Mom's car, it doesn't matter. He won't drink. If he does, it's definitely not nearly enough as he needs. I have no idea how to fix this. I did learn my lesson about taking walks at high noon. X_x Evening walks from now on.

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

I think what you do is start by thinking about what you'd do if he was a little human. For whatever reason, he doesn't like to drink in strange settings, or perhaps it's the containers? So, make it available when necessary, but in general be mindful of limits and don't push too far. :ymhug:
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

He may only want the water from his own bowl.

Are you sure Tycho isn't a cat?
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast