The Recipe Thread

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by Radbaron »

Teacher: how hot of an oven, and for how long?

Last direction: eat!
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

mac2

Post by mac2 »

That's 350-400ºF for anyone who needs the conversion.

Does anybody know how to type the degree symbol?
Last edited by mac2 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, it is as bad as you think, and they are out to get you

Everything is significant until proven otherwise.

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

mac2 wrote:That's 350-400 F for anyone who needs the conversion.

Does anybody know how to type the degree symbol?
The degree symbol is º (ALT-167)
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

mac2

Post by mac2 »

Okay, thanks.

I have a list of codes, but I couldn't find it.

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

Hamburger-Pepperoni Pie

Ingredients
1 lb extra lean ground beef (5% fat)
1/3 cup Bread Crumbs, plain, grated, dry
1 1/2 tsp oregano leaves , chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried oregano)
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup mushroom slices
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1/3 cup pepperoni, chopped
1/4 cup black olives, sliced
1 cup spaghetti sauce
1 cup part skim shredded mozzarella

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2 Mix beef, bread crumbs, oregano, salt and egg. Press mixture evenly against bottom and side of ungreased pie plate, 9 x 1 1/4 inches.
3 Sprinkle mushrooms, bell pepper, pepperoni and olives into beef-lined plate. Pour spaghetti sauce over toppings.
4 Bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until beef is no longer pink in center and juice is clear; carefully drain.
5 Sprinkle with cheese and bake 5 minutes longer or until chesse is light brown. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.

Makes 6 servings.
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Ah so it's more of a pie type pie. Cool, thank you very much GP. :D
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

This is the recipe for the special cookies I am making for Asaryu's birthday. Except I've adjusted the recipe a little because I'm making something other than mushrooms with it. :3

TRADITIONAL CZECH CHRISTMAS MUSHROOM COOKIES
INGREDIENTS

200 grams of walnuts.
250 grams of castor sugar.
One egg white.
100 grams of cocoa.
A lemon.

1. Food-process the walnuts until they are a fine clumpy powder.
2. Mix in the sugar. If the walnuts are still chunky, give them another whirl in the blender.
3. Mix in the egg white, and grate the lemon skin off the lemon. The finer the better with the lemon.
4. Once it's all a fine, sticky (like, candy-sticky, I mean) paste, separate one third of the mixture into a different bowl. Mix the cocoa into it.
5. If the cocoa blob gets too dry, just add another egg white.
6. Out of the white blob, make little stalks, about the size and shape of the tip of your index finger. But save a blob about the size of the dent in your palm.
7. Out of the cocoa blob make little balls. Squish them onto the stalks, to make a little mushroom. Decorate with little blobs of the white pastry to make them spotty.
8. Let them stand and dry out for a few hours. They're totally ready to eat now, no cooking required.
Resplendent King of Lizards and Darkness
Resident Firestarter, Wielder of the Falcon Punch
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS
Proudly signature-less since 1986. I mean... Fuck.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

And yet they contain no 'shrooms. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

This is where we found the recipe for this cake.

http://www.masterchef.com.au/gateau-opera.htm
Resplendent King of Lizards and Darkness
Resident Firestarter, Wielder of the Falcon Punch
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS
Proudly signature-less since 1986. I mean... Fuck.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Yesterday, I attempted my own version of a Sonoran Dog that I watched on an episode of Man vs. Food. I will not lie, this thing was like a tiny pieace of heaven. Here's the ingredients -

For Sonoran Dog:
1 package of all beef hot dogs
1 package of small hoagie rolls
1 package of bacon (I like to use the Oscar Meyer pre-cooked bacon, it's so much easier to work with.)
1 can of pinto beans
1 tomato, diced
1 cup of white onion, diced
ketchup
mustard

For Spicy Cheese:
1 container of common brand cheese dip
3 fresh jalapenos, diced
2 tablespoons of hot sauce
1 tablespoon of chipotle pepper powder
1 tablespoon of black pepper
1 tablespoon of white pepper
2 tablespoons of minced garlic

Cooking utensils: Small pot, medium sized pan, toothpicks

Cooking Directions: First, prepare the spicy cheese... dice the jalapenos, add all ingredients together, stirring well. Open can of pinto beans, put in small pot and heat over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally. Prepare the hot dogs for cooking. Wrap bacon around the exterior of the hot dog, securing with toothpick. I found that two strips of bacon fit per hot dog. Place hot dogs on frying pan over medium heat, turning frequently to cook evenly. Remove toothpicks when hot dog seems done, placing hot dogs on the edges that were uncooked by the presence of the tooth picks to ensure being fully cooked.

Place in hoagie rolls... when you add all the toppings, you'll see why the extra space is needed over a standard hot dog bun. Drizzle hot dog with the spicy cheese, then top with pinto beans, diced tomatoes and onion, finally add ketchup and mustard. Consume.

Eating the Sonoran Dog was like a party in my mouth. There were so many great flavors! The double-meatiness of the hot dog and bacon, the spiciness of the cheese, the earthy flavor of the pinto beans, the sweet flavor of the tomatoes, and the crisp bite of the onions... it was just fantastic. I can honestly say, this was my favorite attempted food ever. I consumed two of them, and would have had more if only we'd had sufficient hoagie rolls.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

mac2

Post by mac2 »

Summer Fish Chowder

Ingredients
4 large ears fresh corn
1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2 carrots, coarsely chopped
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
4 whole peppercorns
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1⁄4 lb. bacon, diced
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
11⁄2 lb. panfish fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
1⁄2 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Directions
1. MAKE THE CORN STOCK:
Remove the kernels from the corn and set aside. Snap the cobs in half. Heat vegetable oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat, then add the onion, carrot, celery, and peppercorns. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 8 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the cobs and 2 quarts of cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 40 minutes. Strain through a colander into another pot. Toss out the solids.
2. MAKE THE CHOWDER:
In a large stockpot, over medium heat, sauté the bacon until almost crispy. Set aside. Add the potatoes and reserved corn kernels to the pot, along with generous dashes of salt and pepper, and sauté, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the corn stock. Bring to a boil; simmer for 12 minutes. Add the reserved bacon, then gently drop in the fish. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Carefully pour the cream around the sides of the pot, then shake the pot to incorporate it. (Don’t stir, lest you break up the fish.) Garnish with chopped parsley. Serves 4.

This was printed in Field & Stream magazie last summer. The key to this is to use really fresh sweet corn. I always shop local for corn on the cob. It says 4 servings, but usually a batch is more like 6 or 8.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

One of the reasons I like to cook is because I can try things out, not get it right, and then try it again. I like to think of it like being a mad scientist with food. Sometimes, I don't get things right the first time - but I can try out a concept I never attempted before and improve on it later. I attempted this one tonight, because I was thinking that I wanted to cook something with an Italian flavor. The negative side with cooking most Italian pasta meals is you use so many dishes typically... a saucepan for the sauce, another saucepan for the pasta, a skillet for the meat... that leads to extra clean up, which no one wants. But then I had an idea pop in my head, and my attempt confirmed that idea in principle. So, I give you the following recipe!

One Pot Faked Italian Dish

Ingredients:
1 - 1½ lbs. of Chicken Breast, cut into tiny nibble sized bites
24 oz. container of Spaghetti Sauce
6 oz. container of Tomato Paste
¾ cup of Red Cooking Wine
¾ cup of Rotini noodles
2 cups of sliced Mushrooms
2 tablespoons of minced Garlic
2 tablespoons of Basil
1 tablespoon of Oregano
2 tablespoons of favorite Italian style cheese
½ cup diced White Onion

Cooking Untensils: The largest saucepan you have, stirring spoon, cutting board, knife

Cooking Directions: Mix spaghetti sauce, cooking wine, garlic, basil, and oregano in the saucepan, stir until blended. Add the mushrooms and chicken, turning the heat up to "High". Bring the sauce to a boil, add rotini pasta and cook for 7 minutes. Stir constantly, making sure to pull low into the sauce rather than just stirring the top layer. After 7 minutes, lower the heat to "Low". Add the tomato paste and stir. After the sauce has cooled sufficiently, add the cheese and onions. Serves 4-6 people.

My Idea: I know that you can cook meat inside of spaghetti sauce, I've known too many Italian families in Philadelphia that did just that. But you can still get sick sometimes with that method. But what if you were able to bring the heat up on the sauce hi enough to kill off any bacteria? It would be hot enough to cook the noodles if they were included too, wouldn't they? Rotini noodles are always a favorite of mine because their spiral cut catches the sauce well... and they would be sturdy enough to be stirred in a pan mixed with mushrooms and chicken. Adding the onion at the end would be important, because it's a veggie and would be completely cooked if added while the sauce was boiling - I like the crispness of fresh onions.

Where I Went Wrong: When I tried this tonight, I still had a few flaws but nothing that ruined the taste of this meal. This first time, I added the tomato paste before I boiled the sauce... it was too thick, and a tiny amount actually burned at the bottom of the saucepan. I also used a powdered cheese mix of Parmesan, Romano, and Asiago that I really liked but I also added that before I boiled the sauce - it was hot enough to melt the powdered cheese, leaving little cheesy motes melted to the side of the saucepan.

Where I Went Right: One worry I had was, "how do I know for certain it's hot enough to cook the chicken properly?" When I was cooking, that became quickly apparent. When it was first added, the chicken was only mostly opaque - uncooked chicken has a translucent quality. As it cooked, the chicken's color changed and as I stirred I could clearly spot it in the sauce shortly after things came to a boil.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

"Mapo" Pork over Rice

Ingredients:

For Pork & Marinade
1½ lbs. of Boneless Pork Loin, cut into ribbon-like sliver
2 tablespoons of Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon of Sugar
1½ teaspoon of Cornstarch

For Sauce
1½ cup of Chicken Broth
½ cup of Water
4 tablespoons of Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon of Sugar
1 tablespoon of Cooking Sherry (Rice Wine, if you can get it)
1 tablespoon of Sesame Oil

3 stalks of Bok Choy, cut into ½ inch strips
½ cup of Green Onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
6 Asian Chili Peppers
2 tablespoons of Cooking Oil
1 tablespoon of minced Ginger
2 tablespoons of minced Garlic
1 teaspoon of Chili Paste
1 teaspoon of Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Your choice of white rice options (I just used "Minute Rice", and it worked fine).

Cooking Untensils: 1 large skillet (or wok), cutting board, knife, 1 freezer bag, 2 mixing bowls, spatula, sauce spoon

Directions: Cut pork into slender slivers, mix with marinade and put in freezer bag. Leave to marinade in fridge for 30 minutes. Add ingredients listed "For Sauce" together. Put skillet (or wok) over "medium-high" heat and allow to heat evenly. Add cooking oil, green onions, chili peppers, minced ginger, minced garlic, and chili paste to skillet. Stir until aromatic, then add marinaded pork. Continue to cook until pork cooks, then add slices of Bok Choy. Stir until Bok Choy turns green and tender. Add sauce, allow to cook and thicken. Turn down heat to "low", allow to cook for about 5 more minutes. Serve over rice, pouring a generous portion of the sauce along with the meat. Serves 2-3.

Reviews: My roomie Paul went nuts over this dish. While he usually likes spicy food, this was fairly mild in comparison... but he thought it was really complex in flavor and tasted exceptionally authentic. The only thing lacking in this dish was it could have definitely benefited from a side dish of some sort of greens - perhaps string beans?

mac2

Post by mac2 »

That sounds really good. If I were making it I think I would add some cut up zuccini with the bok choi for an additional veggie.

:-? I've got some pork stir fry meat in the freezer. Thanks for the great meal idea.

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

It sounds delicious... but my dad's in the middle of cleaning cat mess up (apparently all three decided they didn't like the litter box) and that looks too familiar for my taste.
ImageHEAD TECHNOLOGIST and GUARDIAN OF THE "THRONE".Image

CHIEF PROPHET OF CACAO, THE LORD AND GOD OF CHOCOLATIANITY

FSU Class of 2014!
Ailith wrote:Yes, it was intimate, it was passionate, it was sensual, and it ended with a few orgasms. So yeah, counts as sex to me.