The Recipe Thread

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Now, while it's not true Chinese food, I know one of my favorite sauces when I get Chinese take-out is what they put on General Tso's Chicken. I'm surfing the internet, and out of nowhere this idea comes to me - "I bet if I mixed Orange Juice with Sriacha Sauce, it would taste quite a bit like that General Tso's Chicken sauce." I fiddled with it a bit in my kitchen, and I came up with this recipe that I thought I'd share because it's so easy but the results are very tasty.

2 tablespoons Orange Juice
1 tablespoon Sriacha Sauce
1 tablespoon Barbecue Sauce
1 teaspoon Seasame Seed Oil
1 tablespoon Chopped Garlic

Just mix 'em up, and it's delicious. If you like it hotter, just add a dash more Sriacha. It's a bit thin as is, but I expect it will thicken up when you cook with it. Now, I thought of this after I already ate dinner, but this weekend I'm going to try it with some shrimp and I expect it to turn out very good. :) Y'know, if you were to add a little lemongrass and curry, it might have an interesting Thai flavor to it... dang it, I'm out of lemongrass, too.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Nev

Post by Nev »

One of my favorite quick fix lunches. It takes five minutes, tops.

(Whole grain) tortilla
Pesto and/or tomato sauce
Mozzarella
Thinly sliced tomato
Optional seasoning (I like garlic salt)

>Assemble.
>Toast/grill/apply apply source of heat

Bam, you just made a tortizza.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Nev, I often do nearly exactly this same dish. :) But I often have onion and fresh baby spinach on hand and add that. You make a very good presentation of it, I have to say!
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Hey! lets have some cake!

(But don't read the comments)

http://www.fox.com.au/scoopla/trending- ... rise-cake/

Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Let there be gumbo!

Today is a co-worker's last day, and we're having a pot luck. Everyone else was putting themselves down for chips, bean dip, pasta salad... I figured we needed something with a bit more substance. I ended up volunteering myself to make Creole gumbo, despite never having made the dish before in my life. Now, I want to be humble, but I was tempted to fib and say it didn't turn out well at all so I could keep it for myself. I had gumbo for breakfast to make sure I felt like I'd have had enough of it before it was gone. I want to marry this gumbo.

It's a pretty standard gumbo recipe, but I did make some small deviations in cooking it. I put the andouille sausage and chicken along with the water, seasonings (cayenne pepper, lemon pepper, garlic, bay leaves, old bay seasoning,chives, Worcestershire sauce, some thyme), and butter to cook in the slow cooker overnight. This worked really well as it pulverized the chicken, making sure you had thousands of tiny bits of it through the sauce. I also substituted green beans cut up very small for okra as I'm not a fan of the stuff, and I really like it for a substitution. Green peppers, onion, celery, shrimp, and clams (both shrimp and clams already cooked) added once everything was done cooking so they wouldn't be overdone by sitting in a crock pot all day. Rather than making a traditional roux, I took some of the sauce and mixed it up with the flour before adding it back. I also used the sauce as the base for the rice I added rather than plain water.

This might be honestly the best thing I've ever made. I have some plastic ice cream pint containers that I've filled up with gumbo to thaw and share with my pals Paul & Zeus over the weekend, because I think they would kill me if I didn't. This is a massive crock pot that I got from my parents one X-mas a couple years ago, and I seriously question if there will be any left after the day's done.

EDIT: I forgot two seasonings when I wrote this earlier, fixed for inclusion.
Last edited by Dirty n Evil on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Dirty n Evil wrote:I want to marry this gumbo.
Deez Amerikanski wimmeen, zey shudd marry you! :-bd
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

Tacos

You can do it the easy way and get a taco bell kit. I usually do that and then add a couple of ingredients.

If from scratch:

Beef or chicken
Pepper, salt, chile powder
Chipotle or 3-pepper cheese, or something mild if you can't handle spicy
Diced tomatos
Shredded lettuce
Chopped apples
Sweet Chilli sauce
BBQ Sauce

Sooo yummy.

Get a medium-sized pan and melt some butter. Put in meat on low-heat. While it starts to brown, chop, shred, and dice the fruit and veggies. If done so already, cook meat on medium.
Add spices while browning.
Smash up meat while browning so you don't have huge chunks.
Once brown, drain the meat. Lots of orange oils.
Put meat back in pan on low heat.
Add fruits, veggies, and cheese.
Add sweet chilli sauce, a drizzle or two.
Add BBQ Sauce, enough to turn the meat a dark red for strong flavor.
Choose your taco; shell or tortilla
Nom!
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle