The Recipe Thread

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I just invented an awesome new dish, and I have to share. :D I call it... Señor Cheesesteak! Now, I'll apologize because I so rarely measure things when I cook and I didn't tonight. Part of why I enjoy cooking, it's a creative process. However, I'll give the rough ingredients as best I can guestimate.

Ingredients:
1 pound of Steak... if possible, get rib eye from your local butcher and ask them to shave it for the purpose of making cheesesteaks.  In a pinch, getting a good quality roast beef sliced for sandwiches and slice it up.
2 links of Chorizo, diced
½ an Onion, diced
½ a Green Pepper, diced
1 cup of Mushrooms, diced (optional - I love mushrooms on my cheesesteaks!)
2 tablespoons of Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of Black Pepper
½ cup of Queso Cheese, shredded
½ cup of Extra Sharp Yellow (not white) Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Hoagie Rolls
Your favorite brand of Salsa
Optional - Your favorite brand of Hot Sauce

Cooking Untensils: 1 large skillet, cutting board, knife, spatula, toaster oven

Directions: Take hoagie rolls, split and toast in toaster oven - keeping an eye on them so they don't burn!  Heat skillet to medium, and add steak, chorizo, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, garlic, pepper, and optional hot sauce. Stir frequently, until such time as steak is sufficiently cooked through. Drain off excess grease, lower skillet to lowest heat setting. Add the mixture of queso and cheddar cheese, stirring so that it coats the ingredients of the skillet completely. Add to toasted hoagie roll, top with salsa, and enjoy! Serves about four.

The key to Señor Cheesesteak is the cheese, without a doubt. That half and half of queso and sharp cheddar are perfect for this meal... to the point that I would say if you can't get either of these, pause to make sure you can't before substituting. It was that tasty. It wasn't too spicy, it had just the right combination of flavors... this was awesome. I'm looking forwards to an opportunity in which I can make this for my pals!
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

I got a jump on my cooking for Thanksgiving by making cranberry sauce ahead.

Cranberry Sauce Recipe

Ingredients

* 1 cup (200 g) sugar
* 1 cup (250 mL) water
* 4 cups (1 12-oz package) fresh or frozen cranberries
* Optional Pecans, orange zest, raisins, currants, blueberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice.

Method

1 Wash and pick over cranberries. In a saucepan bring to a boil water and sugar, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add cranberries, return to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 10 minutes or until cranberries burst.

2 At this point you can add all number of optional ingredients. I added cinnamon (didn't measure, just dumped some in, but I'd estimate about 3 tsp, and some ginger (about 1/4 tsp).

3 Remove from heat. Cool completely at room temperature and then chill in refrigerator. Cranberry sauce will thicken as it cools.

Cranberry sauce base makes 2 1/4 cups.

And my turkey is thawing nicely in the fridge, so it should be ready to go in the oven on Thursday. :D
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

More double posting. -_-

Green Eggs and Ham Sushi

A few tips: Make sure you get sushi rice and not long grain rice. Only short grain rice is suitable for sushi making. I buy seasoned rice vinegar - which already contains sugar and salt. If you only have unseasoned - simmer 1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar with 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Let cool before using. Buy very thin ham slices, deli-style thin is best.
Ingredients:

Sushi Rice
2 cups short-grain sushi rice
2 cups + 2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar

Sushi Spinach-Egg Filling:
1/2 cup chopped frozen spinach, defrosted
1 teaspoon cooking oil
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt

Sushi Rolls:
6-8 thin ham slices (thin deli-style sandwich ham)
6 sheets sushi seaweed (nori) 7 1/2" x 9" sheet
bamboo sushi mat, completely wrapped with plastic wrap on both sides
Sushi Rice
Directions:

Make the sushi rice : Place rice in fine-mesh colander and rinse well to remove excess starch; drain. Transfer to a 2 1/2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan. Add water. Cover with tight fitting lid and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low or medium-low. Very gently simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Transfer rice to a large baking dish or large bowl. Slightly cool. Sprinkle with rice vinegar; very gently toss until combined. Cool to room temperature. Cover with damp towel to prevent rice from drying out. When making sushi, you want the rice to be close to room temperature (hot, steaming rice will make the seaweed soggy).

Meanwhile, for the spinach-egg filling, squeeze as much water out of the spinach as possible.

Finely chop the spinach. Gently fry the eggs with the spinach and season with salt. Let cool before rolling sushi.

To roll the sushi, have all your ingredients ready.

Lay out the sushi mat, with the bamboo running horizontally. The sushi mat should be completely wrapped in plastic wrap (otherwise the rice will stick to it). Lay the nori on the mat. Wet your hands, fling off excess water and grab about 3/4 cup of the sushi rice. Damp hands will prevent the rice from sticking. Use your fingertips and gently spread out the rice all over the seaweed. You don't want too much rice - just enough to barely cover. Lay down the ham. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the egg/spinach mixture. Move the nori so it is flush with the bottom of the mat. Now bring up the edge of the mat. Begin rolling - but keep the edge of the bamboo mat up on top of the rice. Roll with one hand, and use the other hand to gently tug the mat. This will ensure a tight roll. Keep the edge of the bamboo mat up. Continue rolling and gently tugging until roll is complete. Give it nice final tug back to tighten roll. Dip the tip your knife in water, and slice into 6 even pieces. A wet knife tip will prevent sticking.
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

Healthy recipes invented when you're depressed, yeaaaah.

I call this the "Eff the holidays, I have no friends except this milkshake"

3 scoops vanilla ice cream
1 dash of chocolate syrup
about a cup of milk
dash of cream
dash of sugar
baileys irish cream (to taste, pour copiously)
kahlua (approximately a hell of a lot)
amaretto (until the magical almond scent calms your rage)

Directions: Pour into blender while crying/ranting to anyone who will listen. Blend until you can't stand the noise of the blender any longer. Drink while eating handfuls of christmas baking and watching sappy movies. DELICIOUS!

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

=)) =)) =)) =)) =))

It sounds delish, all right! And big!

Also: Eff you, I'm your friend. And you've been trying to cheer me up all the time. :P

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Minus the amaretto that does sound tasty CS. Sorry to hear you're having a bad time of it though. :ymhug:
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

A favorite recipe, which I haven't made in ages, but decided to fix up tonight... Cheesy Shrimp Scampi.
As always, I almost never use measuring cups - which means that I'm guesstimating most of these measurements.

Ingredients:
½ pound of Shrimp, deveined and cooked
2 tablespoons of Garlic, minced
3 tablespoons of Oregano
1 tablespoon of Basil
1 teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper
½ Lemon or Lime, squeezed for its juice
½ Cup of Olive Oil
2 tablespoons of Butter
Angel Hair Pasta

½ Cup of Cream (Heavy or Whipping Cream will work)
½ Cup of Cheese (Your choice)

Cooking Untensils: large skillet, spatula, medium sized pot

Directions: In skillet, add all ingredients except the Cheese and Pasta into skillet, and allow to cook slowly at medium-low heat. Stir occasionally - if it doesn't look like the cream and olive oil are mixing completely, don't worry. Just mix them up as best as you can. In pot, boil water (splash a little bit of olive oil in there, it helps the pasta not stick) and add pasta. Drain pasta when finished, add to skillet and stir in. As the final step, add the cheese of your choice and stir again - as the cheese melts, the cream and olive oil should be absorbed. Makes enough for 2 large servings.

Now, this recipe more or less varies from the standard shrimp scampi by the addition of the cheese and cream... so if you want a more traditional dish, remove those from the ingredients. This dish was something that I had at an Italian restaurant in downtown Philadelphia, and I'd never thought to add cheese before to shrimp scampi so it was pretty interesting. The amount of cheese added isn't terribly significant, and just adds a bit of different flavor. Frequently, I prefer using a nice sharp cheddar myself - but this time I used a bag of shredded "Mexican" cheeses and it turned out well enough, too.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

Cheese with seafood?!!? Heresy!

You are hereby sentenced to being hung, drawn and quartered, then aged for 3 weeks. :p

(Actually though, that does sound pretty good, I might have to make it sometime.)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Nonsense, cheese goes with everything. [-(
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

wrong wolf

Post by wrong wolf »

Here's a local favorite on this side of the globe. Methinks Nina will like this cuz, you know, it's got chocolate in it. Well, cocoa anyway.

4 to 5 pieces of unsweetened Tablea boiled in 1/2 cup water (melted) (or 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa)
1 cup rice
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup brown sugar

Procedure
Cook rice in a saucepan with water, stirring constantly until the rice is a bit transparent. Add the melted tablea and sugar.
And continue to cook until the rice is tender. Adjust sugar to taste. Serve in a bowl and place swirls of evaporated milk or condensed milk on top.

It can be served as is or it can be served with shredded dried and salted fish.
Huh? Nope. Sorry. You've got the wrong wolf. You must be looking for my cousin, right.

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

Potato Tuna Chowder

Ingredients:
2 cups chicken stock
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp sage
1/2 cup onions, chopped
2-1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 cup carrots, sliced
3 cups skim milk
1/2 cup celery, sliced
6 oz white tuna in water, drained and flaked
1 cup frozen green beans, thawed

Cooking Directions:
Combine 1 cup potatoes, stock and onions in a nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover.
Simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes and onions to a bowl and mash. Return to pan.
Add remaining potatoes, and all remaining ingredients, except tuna, to pan. Bring just to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tuna and simmer another 5 minutes.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

At a recent party, I brought a meatloaf that got rave reviews from those lucky enough to sample some before it was gone. :) I'm glad that so many enjoyed it, but I have to be honest in that its origins came out of a magazine... I simply tweeked it here and there. What I personally like so much about it is that it's more of a blueprint for how to make a meatloaf giving multiple options at every stage, rather that simply one way to make this particular dish. Since so many people are curious as to how I came up with my results, however, I'll also put up the individual choices I made this last time.

Step 1: Choose the meat. Select two pounds of any of the following ground meats, up to three different sorts of meat.

1.Beef or bison
2.Sweet or hot Italian sausage (but not more than 1 lb.)
3.Pork (but not more than 1 lb.)
4.Veal
5.Lamb
6.Turkey (but not 100% breast meat)

For the party, I went with beef and sweet Italian sausage.

Step 2: Choose the aromatics. These are items that are cooked up with the onion and garlic prior to being mixed into the meatloaf. Finely chop or mince up to 1½ cups of any of these vegetables, or 2 cups if the mushrooms are chosen due to their tendency to cook down in size. Of the liquid add ins, up to ¾'s of a cup. Yes, you can add both veggies and liquids.

1.Carrots
2.Celery
3.Fennel
4.Fresh mushrooms
5.Leeks
6.Bell peppers, any color

1.Red or white wine
2.Stout, wheat, or pilsner beer
3.Dry sherry

For my own choices, I went with mushrooms, celery, and dry sherry.

Step 3: Choose the mix-ins. These are items that aren't to be cooked prior to cooking the meatloaf, mixed in with the meat. Now, some of these I'm listing are choices from the magazine and a bit "out there" for myself - but I'm including them for people who might be a bit more daring than myself when it comes to flavors. Choose up to three of the ingredients below.

1.Dried apricots, figs, or dates. Very coarsely chopped, up to ⅓ of a cup.
2.Raisins (golden or dark). Very coarsely chopped, up to ⅓ of a cup.
3.Currants.
4.Capers. Chopped, up to 1 tablespoon.
5.Fresh ginger. Peeled and finely grated, up to 2 teaspoons.
6.Scallions. Sliced, up to
7.Jalapeno peppers. Finely chopped, up to 1 heaping tablespoon.
8.Lemon or lime zest. Fine grately, up to 2 teaspoons.
9.Green or black olives. Pitted and coarsely chopped, up to ⅓ of a cup.
10.Horseradish. Peeled and finely grated fresh, or strained jarred, up to ¼ of a cup.
11.Dried mushrooms. Rehydrated and chopped, up to ¼ of a cup.
12.Cheddar, gruyère, or gouda cheese. Grated,
13.Feta or blue cheese. Crumbled, up to up to ½ of a cup.
14.Parmigiano-Reggiano. Finely grated, up to ¾ of a cup.

For the party, I mixed in scallions and smoked gouda.

Step 4: Choose the herbs & spices. Of the herbs, choose one or two for a total of ¼ of a cup total. Also, choose one or two of the spices in the recommended amount for each spice.

1.Thyme, rosemary, tarragon, sage, dill, marjoram, or oregano. Chopped, up to 1 tablespoon.
2.Parsley. Chopped, up to ¼ of a cup.
3.Basil. Chopped, up to ¼ of a cup.
4.Cilantro. Chopped, up to ¼ of a cup.
5.Chives. Sliced, up to ¼ of a cup.

Of the herbs, I used thyme and rosemary.

1.Crushed red pepper flakes. ½ of a teaspoon.
2.Fennel seeds. Coarsely chopped, 2 teaspoons.
3.Pimenton (smoked paprika). ¾ of a teaspoon.
4.Ground cinnamon. ¼ of a teaspoon.
5.Hot chili powder (such as chipotle). ½ of a teaspoon.
6.Garam masala. 2 teaspoons.
7.Ground cumin. 2 teaspoons.
8.Ground coriander. 2 teaspoons.
9.Ground allspice. ½ of a teaspoon.
10.Mild chili powder (such as ancho). 1 tablespoon.

For my meatloaf, I used crushed red pepper flakes.

All right, we're ready to actually cook the meatloaf! Aside from the ingredients above, you'll need these...

■2 tablespoons of canola or olive oil
■1 medium yellow onion, chopped
■2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
■1 package of bread crumbs, 16 ounces
■2 large eggs
■1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce
■2 teaspoons of salt
■1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
■Ketchup (option of additional barbeque sauce and chipotle pepper)
■Skillet
■Mixing spatula
■2 Large mixing bowls
■Oven safe meatloaf pan

Firstly, take the skillet and add the canola / olive oil, the yellow onion, garlic, and your choices of aromatics from "Step 2". Stir frequently 6 to 8 minutes. Add in the liquids from "Step 2" and simmer briskly until almost dry, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool until warm.

Next, take the second mixing bowl and lightly beat the eggs. Add the worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper, as well as the mix-ins from "Step 3" and the herbs & spices from "Step 4". Mix well, then add the meats chosen in "Step 1". As an additional aside, if chosing more than one meat, don't simply dump both selections of meat in the bowl and attempt to mix them that way. Take a handful of each choice and slightly pluck pieces of it to add to the mixing bowl. When further mixing happens, this allows the meats to blend more evenly. Take cooled contents of previous bowl and add them together. Lightly blend mixture with hands, trying not to compact. Add bread crumbs and mix in further, still attempting not to compact. Place entire contents within meatloaf pan, cook in pre-heated oven at 450° for 30 minutes.

Now, typically meatloaf is simply topped with ketchup... possibly with some spices added to it. Personally, I've tried out a mixture that is equal parts barbeque sauce, ketchup, as well as a teaspoon of chipotle pepper, and it's turned out quite nice. After meatloaf has cooked for 30 minutes, top with this mixture, and place back in oven for an additional 30 minutes. Once that 30 minutes is finished, allow meatloaf to cool for 10 minutes... then enjoy!

Hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I have. :) It's fun to attempt "themed" meatloafs... I once made a Greek inspired meatloaf with lamb, turkey, lime zest, basil, feta cheese, and white wine. Yes, it's a bit of a project, but if you follow this recipe you can make a meatloaf that people will rave over too.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I experimented with an idea I had the other day, and it turned out awesome. So, I'm going to share the recipe. :D

I call it... Hidden Cajun Treasure Cheeseburgers!

Ingredients:

1 Andouille Sausage (cut into bite sized pieces)
Your selection of Cheeses (For this meal, I used a combination of sharp Swiss and smoked Gouda)
Hamburger Rolls

Specifically for the Burgers -
1½ lbs. of Ground Sirloin
¼ cup of Celery, finely chopped
¼ cup of Green Pepper, finely chopped
¼ cup of Onion, finely chopped
¼ cup of Garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of Mustard (not yellow mustard, though)
1 teaspoon of Worchestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon of Barbeque Sauce
3 tablespoons of Parsley
1 tablespoon of Chives
2 tablespoons of Lemon Pepper
2 tablespoons of Cayenne Pepper (If you like your spicier, I would suggest 3 tablespoons)

Cooking Directions:
If andouille sausage is uncooked, lightly cook... perhaps in a skillet with a little bit of white wine. Mix together all of the ingredients for the burgers together, then seperate into about 8 very thin hamburgers. On top of 4 of the hamburgers, place the cooked andouille sausage. Then top these burgers with the 4 burgers without the sausage, and tuck the edges closed so the sausage is kept inside a little pocket within the hamburgers. Because these burgers are going to be rather thick, cook over a slightly lower heat for a longer time to ensure it's completely cooked throughout. Top with cheese, and enjoy!

Personally, I don't recommend any condiments such as ketchup or additional mustard. This is a very flavorful burger in its own right, and you don't want to mask the taste when you bite into one of those andouille sausages.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

So it's ME who threadliches this, of all people...

HOMEMADE ORANGE SLURPEE

Ingredients:

- Five oranges, squozen like Senna's butt should be.
- Loads of fresh powder snow from my balcony. :))

Squeeze, mix, enjoy!! :-bd
ImageImage