The Silver Screen

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Scaramouche

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Scaramouche »

Nobody f*cks with sword-gun-bombs.
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

midgetshrimp wrote:And I like Most of Legend, though i ahven't seen it in so long I can hardly remember anything about it.[/color]
While the movie is quite beautifully shot and the score is wonderful, I thought it was almost ludicrously unrealistic. Now, using the words "fantasy" and "realism" in one sentence is a dangerous enterprise, but look at LotR. If you are the head honcho Mr. Bad Guy Sauron, what do you do?? You carpet the world with orks, trolls, Nazgûl, Mumakil, and I don't know what else, in other words, you raise massive armies to conquer the world. And the good guys do their best to raise equally massive opposing armies.

In Legend, you have Satan, and he has like 3 stupid little minions. Versus the same order of magnitude saviors of the world... I mean DOH!!! In a few days, the Elder Council of this board will probably have more minions!!!
Last edited by Don Alexander on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Scaramouche wrote:Nobody f*cks with sword-gun-bombs.
I'd hope not... think of the mess. :lol:

Makes me wonder about best movie weapon ever though.... ? Best gun is a toss up between HellBoys 'Samaritan' and Dirty Harry's Magnum 44
In Legend, you have Satan, and he has like 3 stupid little minions. Versus the same order of magnitude saviors of the world... I mean DOH!!! In a few days, the Elder Council of this board will probably have more minions!!!
Its been one day and we already have a Ninja Kitty Minion *nods*

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Scaramouche wrote:Nobody f*cks with sword-gun-bombs.
This just remindeth me...

The sword fighting skills of Prince Nuada in Hellboy II were like UTTERLY AWESOME!!! I mean, anyone who does a power slide between two guard beasts to eviscerate them rocks my world. He was The One Of Blades. He was Elric. He was Drizzt.
Bear wrote:Its been one day and we already have a Ninja Kitty Minion *nods*
And probably a Cthulhu fries delivery minon as well. 8-)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

You'd not think that Mr Goss had previously been the main enemy in Blade two once you saw how far improved his fighting skills were... I seriously how they produce a replica of his spear for sale. I want one.

Oh yes, can't forget the Cthulhu Fries supplier.. See.. one day and we've almost got more minions then Satan. lol

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Bear wrote:Wow... Don's OLD to have seen Labyrinth when it first came out. lol. Nothing wrong with still loving it though. Its one of those movies like The Goonies... Man the 80's generally ruled for geekery. I agree though... Legends sucked appart from Time Curry.
*Omniforks Midget* BLASPHMER!! How can someone not like Labyrinth? Even if it did have David Bowie in it.
And Night Watch and Day Watch were cool... I heard they were meant to be doing a third in the series though.
Hey, I said I saw Return of the Jedi in the theaters when I was six!! That tells you how old I am!! After all I am part of the Grand Council. Oh, wait. Aish is too... :(
I have never seen The Goonies. *hangs head in shame*
David Bowie was actually awesome in Labyrinth. He fit the role perfectly.
I hope! The books are a trilogy, but I heard the end of Day watch is actually the end of the third book?? May be wrong though.

Further awesome movies:

Fatherland (highly unknown, I guess)
The Departed
The Prestige
The Godfather Trilogy
Blade Runner
V for Vendetta
Children of Men
Fight Club
Gattaca
John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars

etc. etc.
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Bear wrote:Makes me wonder about best movie weapon ever though.... ? Best gun is a toss up between HellBoys 'Samaritan' and Dirty Harry's Magnum 44
Either the Death Star or Serleena's ship weapon in Men in Black II. That had the power of the Death Star packed into a few cubic inches. :D
ImageImage

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Now I don't agree about The Godfather Trilogy... just something about them... Everyone says that they're like the perfect movies but I could never get into them. I got bored halfway through the first one, and I know everyone says that the second is the best, but I couldn't sit through that either... And I've sat through epic movie runs before, I've got all the LOTR's exended versions and I've watched the back to back, additional scene and all.

I need to get around to seeing V, about the only movie I want to that I've not yet. And Blade Runner is probably THE BESt Sci-fi movie ever. I heard they were going to do a remake, I hope to dead god they don't as it'll just upset what was a near perfect movie by rehashing it.

And Serleena get the award for best overkill weapon. lol.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

And I'll just interject that the movie from which Scaramouche takes the quotes in his sig is also one great fantasy movie!!!
ImageImage

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Oh yeah... Conan Rules!

"Barbarians. Cooler then a Ninja Pirate on an Iceburg."

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

Don Alexander wrote:
Bear wrote:Makes me wonder about best movie weapon ever though.... ? Best gun is a toss up between HellBoys 'Samaritan' and Dirty Harry's Magnum 44
Either the Death Star or Serleena's ship weapon in Men in Black II. That had the power of the Death Star packed into a few cubic inches. :D
The Continuum Transfunctioner from Dude, Where's My Car?

The silver ball thingy from Phantasm.

The glaive, from Krull.

Excalibur, from Excalibur.

Tribbles, from Star Trek.

Ewoks. Hey, they can take out Imperial stomtroopers. And if you skin them, they can be rugs, slippers, coats...

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

Arantor

Post by Arantor »

For me, in no particular order:

Highlander - what more can I say: There can only be one! (Plus having Macleod turn up on the music video, sword in hand to fight Freddie was class.)

Labyrinth - I've often been referred to as Ludo given my hair and the fact that I can do the voice.

Plan 9 From Outer Space - so bad it's good.

Dogma - just... whoa.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show - how did we miss that? Plus I've been to it live and even met Richard O'Brien. Though the one time he was playing on stage as The Usherette we didn't go :(

The Blues Brothers - pure class.

There are others - I have a huge DVD library, but that's all for now.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Arantor wrote:Highlander - what more can I say: There can only be one! (Plus having Macleod turn up on the music video, sword in hand to fight Freddie was class.)
For some reason thats just reminded me of the pure awesome cheesiness that was Flash Gordon. Its just one of those guilty pleasure movies that even though you've seen it a thousand times, your can't help be cheering on Flash.

DMoness

Post by DMoness »

the ones I love:

Spaceballs : Yoghurt, I hate Yoghurt even with strawberries/end quote (i still can recite over half the movie I could recite the whole movie a long time ago).
The Host : Korean movie that is really good.
Legend : Sorry I love this fantasy movie :o
Bladerunner : been mentioned a few times before
Who is afraid of Virginia Woolf : http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0061184/ A real must see.

Terrible movies
Super Inframan : Chinese sentai movie that is their version of Ultraman. Rubber villains and over the top acting (I love it but i like campy, my friends could not stand it after 10 minutes)
I know what you did last summer : started cleaning my room during that movie.
Alone in the Dark : That is 96 minutes i won't get back