The Silver Screen

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Don Alexander »

Speaking of Zootopia...

This Monday, I had also seen The Huntsman: Winter's War (in English too), which I, astonishingly, liked a lot!

Point is, just skimming over Boxofficemojo, I saw that it is not launching in the US until NEXT WEEK! Zootopia also had such a weird release schedule, launching February 11th in some countries but not coming to the US (and Germany, incidentally - I had seen it weeks earlier in Luxemburg) until early March.

Also, unless I misread, Captain America: Civil War is launching here in late April (well, I'm sure of THAT) but only a week later, early May, in the US.

What is this madness??? It used to be we get movies from the US weeks or even months later. Then all the big blockbusters aimed for global releases to prevent cammed version from spreading over the Internet. And now you Murricans are suddenly lagging us outlanders when it comes to your own movies?? :-\

On the other hand, mannn, sucks to be Japan, they are not getting The Jungle Book until AUGUST. WTF?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

When visiting my friends over the weekend, I asked if we could go to a big media store in town. I was looking for the new Moonsorrow album as a digipak, which I found! :)

What I also found was a box full of DVDs for just 3 Euros each. Now usually, these boxes contain utter crap, stuff you have never heard of before, which is likely very bad.

This one was different!! :-o

For example, it contained a lot of pretty good to REALLY good stuff I already had: The entire Godfather trilogy, the first two Transformers movies (one may debate on just how good they actually are, but in any case, they ARE high budget Hollywood productions), a bunch of Star Trek movies...

And a lot of stuff I partially knew, but did not have, or had not ever seen yet but I had heard good things about it:

Knew but did not have on DVD:

The Hunt for Red October
Meet the Parents
Meet the Fockers
Castaway

Had not seen at all:
Top Gun
A Beautiful Mind
Team America - World Police
Witness
48 Hrs.
Eurotrip

Despite being tired, I decided to watch one of them last night, and choose Eurotrip. Sexy, trashy comedy, just the thing before going to bed.

Turned out the movie was totally awesome and utterly hilarious!!! =)) =)) =))

There were two things I was disappointed with. The packaging claims "uncensored" which is a complete fucking LIE. X( There IS and "unrated extended cut" (though that one is in no way "harder" than the original cinematic cut), but not only is this version not it (all of the extended cut scenes, and then some, are actually on the DVD as bonus material, though), but they also cut an entire scene where a kid draws himself a black toothbrush mustache and goosesteps around giving the Hitlergruß. I mean, hello? Yes, theez eez Germany, but we can take it! The whole movie is full of horrible clichés which will probably piss PC people and natives of the portrayed countries off...
Second thing was: Actually a lot less sexy than I thought. Sure, there are boobs galore (and an awesome fourth wall break when Cooper says: "Well, there's you R-rating right there!" :)) ) and some sex scenes and of course like 50 penises in full frontal, haha, but still, I felt it was rather tame. When Cooper, that horndog, finally gets some in the end, we don't even get to watch... /:)

But other than that... Chock full of quotable quotes ("Mi scuzi!" "That's not where I parked my car."). What especially amused me was the German. I'm used to American movies not getting German right - like, at all - even when it would be easy. And while this movie makes some stupid mistakes too (like showing a Dutch sign when the "Germany collage" plays), I was totally astonished when I stopped the DVDs to read the mails Scotty is exchanging with Mieke!! Perfect German (except for some small mistakes in a print-out later, not to mention exactly the same mail is shown with two different dates...). Furthermore, several actors playing German characters are actually played by, you know, real German actors. Mieke herself, but she speaks pretty high German, as does her father. But that truck driver!!! Absolutely hilarious!!

The absolutely funniest thing for me was seeing several actors I know form elsewhere in small roles. First off, of course, Donny the singer of Lustra, with the awesome song "Scotty doesn't know". I was like: "Wait, fuck, is that MATT DAMON???" And in deed it was! :D Then, well, I recently saw Snatch again - and suddenly here we have Vinnie Jones (Bullet-Tooth Tony) as Mad Maynard, the crazy violent ManU hooligan (especially funny since Jones used to play football professionally AND is not a ManU fan at all...), and later that Serbian guy, Rade whatever (Boris the Blade in Snatch), playing a quite friendly and helpful old man in Bratislava. =)) =)) =))

And finally: BRING ON THE FLUGGENKENCHEIMEN!!!! (NSFW warning: Boobs and naked male ass - but also in 240p, so you hardly see anything...) In light of Ma3 recently... Also, my God, Lucy Lawless was sexay here. :x
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

Anyone see "Midnight Special"? Has great reviews but it was impossible to catch. Wanted to see it, I like indie movies.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

So, I saw Captain American: Civil War last night.

Yira trigger warning: FEELZ!
ImageImage

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

We have to wait until the 6th and I'm STILL NOT READY
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Watched it today!
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

Just saw it. Thought it was amazing, glad I waited for the second post-credits scene. Everyone else left. Pfft noobs.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Craptain Amerikuh:Civil Snore only made 75 Million in the US in the first two days and it is extremely unlikely it will cross 200 million on opening weekend.
LOL MARVELTARDS SUX ON THAT BVS! BVS! BVS! 8-}

scnr
ImageImage

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

Yay for poor grammar. That reads as"Lol Marveltards, suck on that Batman Vs Superman!"

Thanks ;)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

JTheCreator wrote:Just saw it. Thought it was amazing, glad I waited for the second post-credits scene. Everyone else left. Pfft noobs.
i saw one dude wearing a cap america shield shirt leaving. TRAITOR!

but there was another one right behind me who stuck round to the end.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

I'm so glad Spidey had more than a cameo.

Also Don, it just sky rocketed past 600 million ;)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Still only a 182 million $ opening. Pity. :(

And don't get me wrong, I was trolling further up. ;) I absolutely loved the movie and consider the whole Marvel vs. DC flame war to be seriously idiotic.
ImageImage

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Yeah, Mother's Day Weekend probably wasn't the best time to premiere it for the US :\ I know some moms who will find this a treat but most people will probably go more traditional dinner date or something. PLUS, (for our theater anyway) it's competing with a movie called Mother's Day starring Jennifer Aniston, Kate Hudson, and Julia Roberts. Nothing gets most American women excited like Julia Roberts.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

Humorously enough, Marvel: Agents of Shield mentioned the events of Civil War in their episode last night. Geektastic!

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

I got in to see The Jungle Book today. Now, having read Kipling and seen the, what, six other versions of the movie, there were no surprises story-wise. But visually, I'd give it at least a 9. Maybe 9.5. Very impressive and well done.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.