The Silver Screen

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Bear
BANNED

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Bear »

With that take HellBoy for instance... I'd heard of him before the first movie came out but hadn't been interested... Then the movie came out, I watched and loved it and that got me onto reading the comics which I also enjoyed. Fortuantely I'm one of the people that can seperate the seperate realities of the Movies and the comics, and then the animate movies and the books. I enjoyed it without ever having read the comics first , but I guess if I had read them I might have been dispointed that so much was different from them.

Same goes for Iron Man that I knew not very much about him before the movie came out, but with Hulk and the Ang Lee movie I was seriously pissed off having loved the 80's tv series that he took it in such a wrong direction. Thank god that fixed it again with the last movie remake.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Teacher2B wrote:I think that's why I liked that film. Although I've read some of the books where the different characters appear, and had something to say about that. But as the rest of the people that went with me that day hadn't read the books, I'd to shut up before they killed me :lol:
I never have this problem... I always go to the movies alone...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

DMoness

Post by DMoness »

Don Alexander wrote: It's probably an advantage in modern times to have not have read most of the novels/graphic novels/comics many of today's movies are based upon. Because almost always, you can't be anything but disappointed if you did.
I love the 2 X-men movies (have read the comic for a long time). I like the OLD spiderman tv-series (hate the new was wish sam raimi stopped directing(personal opinion)). I can not wait to see watchmen. The new batman movies are great as well. Almost forgot the great Sin City. So I do enjoy comic movie transfers but i just do not like some others
(like Daredevil, Electra, X-men 3 :cry: )

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

I am seriously eager to see the Watchmen movie. :D
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Saw the first trailer of Watchmen in front of Hellboy II and was seriously intrigued!! At the very least, more eye candy.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Incidently, the music playing over the Watchmen trailier is by the Smashing Pumpkins and is called 'The Begining, is the End is the Begining'. Its a remix of a track they did called The End is the Begining is the End which they did for... wait for it... Batman and Robin.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

@DMoness: Hm, what's the problem with X-Men 3?? I'd admit it's the weakest of the series (ranking them 2,1,3) but I liked it too...

The Spiderman movies... Hmm, they were fun, but I was seriously less enthusiastic about them than most people. At least part I.

Similar thing with The Dark Knight, although I really loved that one. It's just that so many people were claiming it was like the greatest movie of all time... :roll:
ImageImage

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

I think The Dark Knight is always gonna suffer from our dear departed friend Mr Ledger's tragic death... I will not rant about jackass docs prescribing him both sleeping pills and anti-depressents... or dumbass maid not phoning the ambulence straight away or Olsen hoe delaying it even further... *coughs*

Anyway... The Dark Knight, while awesome and defiantely the best Batman movie so far, is always going to be talked up as Heath's last performance and making a Joker so utterly and brilliant deranged and sadistic it'll never be beat. But it wasn't the best movie ever...

I just hope the X-men series picks up again when the Wolverine movie is finally out... that and what with a Magneto and 'First Class' movie in the works...

Spiderman... I think Raimi killed it with 3 and making Vemon such a total washout... I know Venom is Raimi's least favourite villain in Spiderman, but he could ahve given him more justice. I do like the new angle he gave Sandman though, unsurprising when Sandman is Raimi's favourite...

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

Bear wrote: Anyway... The Dark Knight, while awesome and defiantely the best Batman movie so far, is always going to be talked up as Heath's last performance and making a Joker so utterly and brilliant deranged and sadistic it'll never be beat. But it wasn't the best movie ever...
Agreed. While a fun movie, Ledger's performance was the only really outstanding thing for me. I think he was the best Joker ever, and it surprised the hell out of me how well he did it. But for the rest, well, it beats the other Batman movies, but I wouldn't say it ranks among the greatest ever in terms of plot or anything else.
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

I wasn't sure either how well he'd do as Joker... but Damn... Mr Jack's had been the benchmark, and Heath's just smashed right through it and jumped up and down on it while spraying silly string.

Plotwise, I prefer Batman Begin's plot. Dark Knight is still my fave, mostly because of the breif, but awesome appearence of Two-Face, who is my favourite Batman villain. Saying that, if Johnny Depp is Riddler in the 3rd movie as rumour suggests, that opinion may be changed as I like The Riddler alot too.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Its Depp or Robin Williams as I hear it.. Depp would be cool as ... well its Depp! He plays eccentric characters like Riddler is so well. Robin Williams would work as he does eccentric and creepy well too, and traditionally, Riddlier is meant to be one of the older villains of Batman.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

That will probably be the reasoning behind it that the women and fangirls will prefer and pay more to see Depp.

DMoness

Post by DMoness »

Bear wrote:That will probably be the reasoning behind it that the women and fangirls will prefer and pay more to see Depp.
Not only women, I love seeing seeing Depp act.
I still want to see the dark knight.

Mmm the spiderman movies , the green goblin looks like a power ranger villain reject. I always disliked venom as a villain Carnage is much much better.

X-men 3 ... dislike the storyline they used and how the loose ends from the other 2 movies were tied up
Well i mostly disagree with people that call any popular movie the best movie all time. That is for everyone different.
Good movies do not have to be hyped
Last edited by DMoness on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

DMoness's first law of good movies:
DMoness wrote:Good movies do not have to be hyped
Don Alexander's second law of good movies:

Good movies will be hyped.
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

By the way, I saw Quantum of Solace yesterday evening. Jason Bourne, Her Majesty's secret agent...

Still, highly enjoyable action thriller. Just not very James Bond anymore. Which I actually prefer.
ImageImage