The Silver Screen

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Azrael »

I got to see the Warcraft movie last week. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised with the good job they did with it. But then I was expecting the same kind of craptacular shitfest they made out of the D & D movies.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Did I...

*checks*

Nope, I did not.

Ok, then let me FULLY agree with you, Az. I thought it was an absolutely awesome fantasy movie, and this from someone who knows almost nothing of Warcraft lore.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

So, I've managed a damn intense week at the movies. I got to see EIGHT of them, and all in English, too!

Thursday: Ice Age 5: Collision Course
(Friday: Independence Day on DVD)
Monday: Bastille Day // Finding Dory // Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows // Independence Day: Resurgence // High-Rise
Tuesday: The Conjuring 2
Wednesday: The Neon Demon
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Saw Finding Dory last week. Suffered a bit from sequelitis, but all in all it was a pretty good flick.

Saw Independence Day: Resurgence tonight. It was what it was. A Summer popcorn movie and a sequel. Wasn't great, didn't suck.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Ugh.

This misogynistic shitstorm over the new Ghostbusters movie wants to make me puke (and eradicate vast swathes of the population).

I'll judge the movie after having seen it, and, you know, it may turn out I don't like it. But whatever reasons I have, they'll not involve the leads being women. And I say that as someone who really doesn't like Melissa McCarthy.
ImageImage

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I liked her in Mike and Molly, for the most part. I'm not really a fan of the overtly slapstick types of comedy she usually does in her movies, though. Which is about the only reason I've considered not seeing Ghostbusters aside from the fact that there's a scene that plays on a phobia of mine and is one of the worst types of comedy for me.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

OMGGGGG SULU IS GAYZORZZZZZ EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1elebenty

It's ok, poor beleaguered people of the US of A. You can get Chinese bootleg copies, they censored that HORRIBLE scene.
ImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

watched the Killing Joke. Enjoyed it!

The problem with a lot of people is they expect a big and grandiose delivery from the joker and his VA's. But thats not the best way to do the Joker. Mark Hamill knows how to do the Joker naturally. He knows when the time comes for a grandiose delivery when the situation calls for it (because the joker is all about delivery) but when he speaks as the joker there are CONSTANT vocal inflections. Pay attention, he never speaks in monotone. Every line is delivered with an emotion, "He rights across to Freeeedom!", expressing the jokers feelings on the matter.

His constant switching between an unstable mix of anger, joy, frustration, insanity and glee.

The sheer subtly of the delivery is to be admired but so few bother to notice. Cheap grandiose over the top line delivery is...tiresome and treats the audience like they're somewhere on the emotional autism range. Like extreme gestures and voice acting is needed to get the point across. When it isn't if the VA is great like Mark Hamill, even if some are too used to shit quality VA work and expect it.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

GermanMerc

Post by GermanMerc »

Just saw the new Ghostbusters and it was an entertaining movie.
I mostly liked the cast and it had alot of cameos from the cast of the first Ghostbusters movie, like Bill Murray, the woman who played Janine, Slimer, and Sigourney Weaver and alot of others i wont mention here.

I realy love Kate McKinnon in here role in this movie.
Be creative, invent a perversion.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

I'll go further. I saw it on Thursday, and I absolutely LOVED it!!!! I thought it was hilarious, funniest movie I've seen this year. And that despite the beginning being kinda dragged out and full of puns and one-liners that fell flat for me.

And, oh, yes, Kate McKinnon as Jilian Holzmann. MARRY ME!!!! :x :x :x :x

But as soon as Chris Hemsworth showed up, the movie became a total blast. The concert scene in the middle was the absolute high point for me, guess why? :P All the cameos were wonderful as well. A pity Rick Moranis did not come out of hiding...

But all this makes me even more pissed off at certain parts of the US of A. What the HELL is going on there this summer, has Trump pissed in the waters and half of everyone has decided to let their misogynistic, homophobic dick dangle in the Internet breeze??? X( X( X(

I mean, back when Batman vs Superman came out, there was tons of hate and trolling. But iirc it was directed at the usual targets. The movie itself, the actors (OMG Ben Affleck will ruin Batman FOREVER), the director... Stupid behavior, but ok, fine, whatever.

But then comes Ghostbusters, and the two-second Zulu scene in Star Trek, and what seems to be the newest vehicle for SJW-level tirades from the OTHER side is Bad Moms. Seems there's some dialog in that comedy which disses uncircumcised men (though, hey, if I read it correctly, one character is opposed and says they are the best), and now I'm reading about things like "Bloodstained Men" and "male genital mutilation" (allegedly worse than FGM)... :|

I'm sorry, I had not realized I must be depressed, psychotic and suicidal because my parents decided to cut off a bit of flesh when I was a wee one. X_X

UGH. Just UGH. It's really doing its best to ruin my movie experience.

Upcoming to see: Light Out, The Secret Life of Pets, Jason Bourne, Suicide Squad.

Missed due to flat tire: Traitors Like Us. :(
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

ImageImage

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I was fortunate enough to have a friend transcribe that for me. There's fanart of it too:

EDIT: Damn, that was big. Here, just have a link https://67.media.tumblr.com/600cf7fd02c ... 1_1280.png
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

SUPREME LEADER STOKED!

Ah, no, wait, he comes later.

Anyway, this is looking rrrreeeeaaaallllyyyy good. I'm actually more hyped than for TFA because, let's face it, TFA was great, bt a bit too much of a ANH remake. This looks more original, and while it has mostly new characters, I guess the plotline looks a lot more enticing.

Also VADER!!! :x
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

So, I've seen Rogue One.

Ask Me Anything! B-)

Edit days later with no response: This board is dead, right? :(
ImageImage

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

Finally got to see Rogue One as a Christmas present to myself. Spoiler alert: EVERYONE DIES. Well, everyone except the characters who show up in A New Hope.

Movies I'm hyped to see in the new year: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Alien: Covenant (sort of), Blade Runner 2049, Star Wars Episode VIII and My Little Pony: The Movie (don't judge me).
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner