Isn't the weather just lovely?

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Re: Isn't the weather just lovely?

Post by yiraheerai »

So there's this epic storm that's trampled through most of the west. Winds in Utah and Colorado reached over 100 mph; roofs, trees, big rig trailers, etc all falling down. I think it said that over 30,000 are without power in southern California. With it was brought snow and rains.

Luckily, none of that wind reached here (though Albuquerque got a fair bit of it. There's fallen trees all over up there). It's 34°F/1°C witch chances of rain or snow.

It's making me pretty miserable. :ymsigh:
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Searcher
Skipper of the S.S.Shipper

Post by Searcher »

I am a whinning American ... who hates cold weather. I grew up in Ohio (40.48.18 N 81.22.33.W) where it was snow and ice for about 5 months a year but now live in Central Florida ... where it is above 90 F for 3 month a year and is happy times.
"Vegetarian: an old Iroquois word for Bad Hunter." Stolen from Azrael
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

Outside: 260K, negligible wind, no precipitation.

Inside: The same, except the temperature is about 30K higher.

Summary: Slightly chilly, both in and out, otherwise just as I want it.
The iceman cometh

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Holy crap, snow. :-o 30°F/-1°C and SNOW.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

Not bad. I want some (more) of that, can you fax it? (I want to get rid of the footsteps.)
The iceman cometh

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

It's not enough to really do anything other than be wet. Seriously :P Most of it melted on impact. There's a few cm of the stuff and we're forecasted to get about 1-2 inches later tonight.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Yira is going to flee to Nicaragua soon. :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Don't tempt me :P

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

It's snowing rather heavily here now - line of sight extends not more than 500m. Therefore, I am going out to feed the redpolls.
The iceman cometh

loki

Post by loki »

Rather mild, today. 30 degrees centigrade with a tepid breeze that carried with it the scent of barbequed sausages, coffee and star jasmine. Great now, but wait until it hits 40 degrees in January. =p~

That smiley actually pretty nicely represents the vegetative state I'll be left in by the heat.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Loki, you sound like you come from a land down under :)

Today, anywhere North of 66.3 degrees north latitude will not see the sun at all. After tomorrow, the hours of daylight start to increase by 4 minutes per day , on average.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

loki

Post by loki »

Yep. I am an (the?) Australian. It was light until about 8pm tonight, and that was with a lot of cloud cover. Oh, and I can tell it's going to be an overcast day if it isn't bright enough to read comfortably by 4am.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Not THE Australian, by any means. JVD and Asaryu both live in Sydney , along with a few irregulars.

I used to live at 51 North , and know exactly what you mean by 4am light. Something weird about the first day of summer when the sun is coming up at 330am and setting around 1030.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

loki

Post by loki »

Yeah. Over Christmas/New Year's it's especially messed up because I'm always up so late. I look outside, see sunlight, and think it's 3:30pm when it's really 7pm. =/ And then I think it's 8pm still when it's 5am. :-o

EDIT: Nice to hear there are other, as my friend Bobby calls us, "upside down backwards-flushing spider-farming clowns" around the forums, though.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Radbaron wrote:Loki, you sound like you come from a land down under :)

Today, anywhere North of 66.3 degrees north latitude will not see the sun at all. After tomorrow, the hours of daylight start to increase by 4 minutes per day , on average.
Myself, I will get some 30-50 minutes of sun, methinks. But that's OK, the snow spreads the little brightness so beautifully evenly, that one can easily read without man made light.
The iceman cometh