Movies That Were Absolute Crap Compared To The Books

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Movies That Were Absolute Crap Compared To The Books

Post by Don Alexander »

Don't... even... mention... the... existence... of... a... second... one...

*urgl*

Edit: I actually looked it up and the general consensus seems to be that it's actually better, and especially more faithful to D&D than the first...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

You have no idea how horrendous the effects and storyline are to the second one. The higher score probably came from the ensuing hilarity.
Resplendent King of Lizards and Darkness
Resident Firestarter, Wielder of the Falcon Punch
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS
Proudly signature-less since 1986. I mean... Fuck.

Dizzy
Imaginationist

Post by Dizzy »

I thought that Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince movie was way off. In the book there was heavy focus on finding out who the prince was but in the movie it was like a side thought.

mac2

Post by mac2 »

I wouldn't call it crap, but Sahara was a real dissapointment. They cut out more than half of the plot and changed or removed most of the scenes that made the book what it was.
Yes, it is as bad as you think, and they are out to get you

Everything is significant until proven otherwise.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Okay I am having trouble coming up with an answer for this thread. Mostly because my answer is pretty much all of them. :-??
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

Oh, I wouldn't say that. I liked the Fight Club movie more than the book- though I still enjoyed both thoroughly. Same with American Psycho and Oldboy.

Also, I thought Jaws the book wasn't all that great. I wanted to read about a monster shark eating people, but I got some leotarded sex-triangle and local political struggle with some shark-on-people action on the side.
Resplendent King of Lizards and Darkness
Resident Firestarter, Wielder of the Falcon Punch
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS
Proudly signature-less since 1986. I mean... Fuck.

Paul
Location: Humble hewn-from-a-small-cliff living quarters deep in Mink Hollow

Post by Paul »

Dirty n Evil wrote:And I won't include comic books in this list, or we'll be here all day. :))
No kidding.

TakerFoxx

Post by TakerFoxx »

Revenge of the Sith.

No, seriously. I know the movie came first, but I hated the movie and loved the book. Kept the same story, but got rid of all the sucky parts of RotS (wooden/campy dialogue, unbelievable plot twists, and bad acting [okay, that one was a given]) and replaced it with awesome! And it also retained the movie's saving grace (awesome actions) and made it better. Made me wonder why they didn't get that guy to write the script instead of Mr. In-Desperate-Need-Of-An-Editor Lucas.

Well, okay, I know why they didn't, but they should have!
Start running.

Please?

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

JVDifferent wrote:Oh, I wouldn't say that. I liked the Fight Club movie more than the book- though I still enjoyed both thoroughly. Same with American Psycho and Oldboy.

Also, I thought Jaws the book wasn't all that great. I wanted to read about a monster shark eating people, but I got some leotarded sex-triangle and local political struggle with some shark-on-people action on the side.
Okay yeah, I'm with you on Jaws. Kinda forgot about that one as it's been over twenty years since I read the book. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

...Dragonball. :ymsick:

Worst movie ever made from a book/manga.
by Paul on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:26 am
Dirty n Evil wrote:And I won't include comic books in this list, or we'll be here all day. :))
No kidding.
I've to disagree, not all movies made from comics are bad.
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

Avalon High by Meg Cabot. It doesn't help that I already love Meg Cabot, but when I read the book it was carefully written so that each character matched exactly with a character from Arthurian legend. Plus it was a cute little romance novel. :)

Disney makes a Disney Channel Original Movie about it and, as much as I love Disney, I hate DCOMs. And they just could not leave well enough alone - nope, they leave the same buildup to "look at this cute boy with an awesome accent! he's totally Arthur! and this nerdy girl is some bit-character in the legends and cute-boy's stepbrother is Mordred and this teacher is Merlin! oh wait as it turns out the nerdy girl is The Lady of the Lake... sweet!" and subverted it at the last second for the sake of a clichéd ending of "actually, the stepbrother is a knight of the round table protected Arthur from Mordred, who is actually the professor and this random best-friend character that literally did not exist in the book and who is potentially gay is actually Merlin despite knowing nothing about Arthurian legend and the cute boy is literally nobody and the nerdy girl is Arthur, even though Cute Boy's ex-gf and bff are Guinevere and Lancelot, respectively" and it completely ruins the intricate web of relationships and characterization that Meg Cabot laid out so carefully for her readers just to make a cutesy little "girl power" romcom.

It pissed me the fuck off.

[/nerdrage]
ImageHEAD TECHNOLOGIST and GUARDIAN OF THE "THRONE".Image

CHIEF PROPHET OF CACAO, THE LORD AND GOD OF CHOCOLATIANITY

FSU Class of 2014!
Ailith wrote:Yes, it was intimate, it was passionate, it was sensual, and it ended with a few orgasms. So yeah, counts as sex to me.