Pets: Friends & Masters

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Bear
BANNED

Re: Pets: Friends & Masters

Post by Bear »

Woof? :D

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Grr.... :x

Back on subject... it could be one of those giant Pomerainians...

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Bear wrote:Back on subject... it could be one of those giant Pomerainians...
What Pneu said. ;)

Pomeranian, huh? I'm just trying to imagine that dog with a bite like the pomeranian in Blade Trinity... :D

My best friend's bandmate and his then-girlfriend had a "Bernasenn", which is a mix of Berhardiner and a Bernese Mountain Dog. It was about the size of a calf, and also very fluffy and friendly.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Teacher2B wrote:I don't know why, but many big, cute and fluffy dogs are also extremely friendly. My neighbours' dog, despite being is a very good guard dog, it's very friendly.
Probably because such balls of fluffitude would look ridiculous if they tried to be evil! :))
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Its the same with every Rotweiler I've ever met... but in reverse... its a big evil looking dog, but they've all been seriously friendly and soft.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Bear wrote:Its the same with every Rotweiler I've ever met... but in reverse... its a big evil looking dog, but they've all been seriously friendly and soft.
Well, I guess a lot of it is a factor of upbringing. Hardly any dog is born agressive.

Still, that's the kind of dog I don't like.

Edit: Oh. Look. 800.
ImageImage

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Well had to let to you get one since I've beaten you to everything from one to seven hundred ;)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Bear wrote:Well had to let to you get one since I've beaten you to everything from one to seven hundred ;)
^:)^

Wait till I get the 1000 first. ;;)
ImageImage

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Must... find .. good reason.. to ban.. until... december... *twitch* :ymdevil:

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Bear wrote:Must... find .. good reason.. to ban.. until... december... *twitch* :ymdevil:
Wait. :-? "I banned Don so that he would not reach 1000 posts before I did." is not a good reason for a vile megalomaniacal dictator, for life? :-\
Teacher2B wrote:I absolutely love dogs, but I'm a bit scared of big dogs, especially Rotweilers. And also, although it may sound strange, of German Shepherds. I was bitten by a neighbour's German Shepherd when I was 5 and I'm always very careful around them.
My dislike of dogs probably stems from two childhood experiences.

My then neighbours had a dog when I was little, I don't remember which breed, but something along the lines "big but slim". I thought it was swell, and liked to play with it, though I just reached its shoulder. Then, one day, in the yard, I stumbled and fell. And the dog was suddenly all over me!!! It didn't really bite, but was totally bent on keeping me pinned to the ground in a very aggressive manner. I was utterly terrified, of course, which only incited the dog more to see me as prey... :((

The other story also happened when I was little. I was in the US with my mom, visiting a friend of hers. She had a dog, something little and cuddly. It was very friendly. We stayed a few days, and in the mornings, the dog would jump in my bed and wake me up. :) So when we left, I was sad to go, and went all :ymhug: and picked the dog up. And wham, it bit me in the hand!!!! I still have the scar today.
Teacher2B wrote:That is, till I get to know the dog...then the poor dog is petted to death :))
Harsh. If the poor dogs had known what you'd do to them beforehand, they would have bitten. :D
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Teacher2B wrote:Uh, you wouldn't like to be where I live. There are still many people that has no fences or anything of the kind, so dogs are many times in the street, chasing cars, bikes, etc. I've been chased many times by dogs. I usually stop to scare them, but there have been some big dogs that I've been not brave enough to do the same thing.
=((

*with heavy heart, strikes plan to visit T2B even if I win the lottery*

Well, that's my take on dogs. Cats, now... :ymhug: :x
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Teacher2B wrote:I'm not so much a fan of cats, and they either hate me with all their heart or love me (and hate cat fans :D ). My ex-BF used to have a cat who totally loved me, and he was really friendly towards me, and loved to sleep in my lap (and did not pay much attention to my ex, who is a cat fan :)) ). But he disappeared one day and we never knew what happened to him. Now he has two beautiful cats (one is a tiger kitty!), but they are quite wild and do not like people too much. :(
I'm a cat-fan which is usually liked by cats.

My best friend and his wife have two cats. One is a big, lovable tom named Horst, no problems there. The other is a small, old gal named Mimi. They say she is very shy and afraid of basically everyone. When I first met her, we hit off immediately, and soon she was curled in my lap, snoozing and purring away. They were flabbergasted. ;)
ImageImage

thaldin

Post by thaldin »

Hmm well I've already posted my puppy pictures in the picture thread, I'll have to get pictures of the cats and ferrets for this =)

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

The first dog we had was a big black Shepherd name Okla. He had been tossed out a truck on the side of the road. Literally tossed. The truck had an Oklahoma license plate, so we named him Okla. We had him before I was born, and we had to have him put down when he was 11 (I was 8 I think) because of a tumor in his leg that started to spread. Anyway, I was messing around with a friend in the kitchen, like wrestling and stuff, and seeing as Shepherds are protective (Okla slightly over-so) he reared up and barked in our faces and actually caught my cheek. I have the scar, though it's pretty faint by now. We drove all over the place because we didn't have band aids but it was around 9 on a Sunday night and no place was open. So we had to gauze my face up. Other than being chased and bitten on the calf by the neighbors Shepherd, I've never had a bad experience. And I know both of those incidents were my fault, so it doesn't dampen my love for dogs. The second bite happened after I lost a ball across the street into the neighbors yard. I picked it up and their dog was in the doorway. I looked at it, and, like the silly little kid I was, looked it in the eye. It burst out of the door and got me when I was halfway across the street. Fortunately, it just bit, took a hit, and went off.

What I remember most about Oklah was that he was really big, and I used to lie on the floor and take naps with him. And he was so afraid of thunder that he'd jump into your lap in a storm. And that's really uncomfortable for anyone around, because he was 110 pounds. And he was really lean, so he was like 3 1/2 feet at the shoulder.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

I like big dogs way more than little dogs. They know what they can do, and mostly when they bark, they don't mean to follow it up with anything else. I would not trust a small dog around infants at all.

When I first meet a dog, even if someone tells me it might bite, I always do the same thing. Slowly go on one knee, hold my hand out palm up and lower than it's head(which I've learned is very important if you want the dog to even come close to you). They'll come, sniff, and if they don't like you, they'll walk away. If they don't walk, start from the head and pet from there. Body language is the most important thing when confronting an unfamiliar pet like a dog. You have to concede to it before it will accept you. And never be on the verge of pulling your hand back while it's sniffing. Whether it like you or not, most times it will chase and nip if you aren't lucky.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?