The Church Of Comic Books

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Re: The Church Of Comic Books

Post by brnleague99 »

Dirty n Evil wrote:Catwoman "jumped the shark" for me when she had her kid. It was so random and pointless, especially when in the end she ends up putting her little tyke up for adoption because her life is too dangerous and now it more or less forgotten about. I just haven't been able to enjoy the character as much after that.
It was just a one-shot. I'm not crazy about Catwoman either...but I love Black Mask.

Right now I'm reading R.E.B.E.L.S., or more accurately the first R.E.B.E.L.S. graphic novel The Coming Of Starro which contains the first six issues. Even MORE accurately (MORE?) I've read the first two issues. Good stuff so far, so PLEASE no spoilers.

...and somehow I have to get R.E.B.E.L.S. #10 and #11...the Black Lantern issues.

That said...anyone heard anything about Kevin Smith's Green Hornet? Coming soon to Dynamite Entertainment?

It looks hoss. As they say in Georgia.

:D

Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

I would most definitely read a Kevin Smith comic.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

brnleague99

Post by brnleague99 »

midgetshrimp wrote:I would most definitely read a Kevin Smith comic.
Green Hornet kicks so much ass...check this out. It's already down for TWO spin-offs. Green Hornet: Year One and Kato.

Both look amazing. Kato's a girl...and GH's mask in Year One is cool.

If you have the February 2010 issue of Previews you know what I mean.

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

The Catwoman issue was distinctly flawed...primarily the fact that Black Mack's memories ended several years before his actual death.

Skipping over the torture and 'murder' of Steph is understandable - this is a Catwoman book, not a Batman, Robin, Batgirl, etc issue - but his various attempts on Holly? His torture of Slam? You know, the events that actually prompted her to actually cap him once and for all? That's annoying as hell. Every major Black Mask event except for the thing with Maggie and her husband happened AFTER it.
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

brnleague99

Post by brnleague99 »

Guess what I just ordered?

R.E.B.E.L.S. rules. Oh yeah.

xxcthuluxx

Post by xxcthuluxx »

Right now I'm only really into the "Streets of Gotham" books, and old Swamp Thing books. Streets of Gotham is the only book I try to pick up every month, seeing as though Dustin Nguyen is the F'n man! As for Swamp thing, I go for anything by Bernie Wrightson,Stephen R. Bissette, and anything inked by Kim De Mulder.
http://chewbaccastomper.deviantart.com/ <-- my artwork (I am definitely taking commissions right now. Hit me up! My prices are pretty darn reasonable.)

brnleague99

Post by brnleague99 »

xxcthuluxx wrote:Right now I'm only really into the "Streets of Gotham" books, and old Swamp Thing books. Streets of Gotham is the only book I try to pick up every month, seeing as though Dustin Nguyen is the F'n man! As for Swamp thing, I go for anything by Bernie Wrightson,Stephen R. Bissette, and anything inked by Kim De Mulder.
Dude, seriously, give R.E.B.E.L.S. a try. I think you'll like it.

Spoiler free synopsis:

A mysterious antagonist takes over L.E.G.I.O.N. (an intergalactic police force that has contracts with 83 worlds) and uses the L.E.G.I.O.N. peacekeeper robots to enslave all 83 worlds. The leader of L.E.G.I.O.N., a Coluan 10th level intellect named Vril Dox escapes with his life and heads to Earth to decipher a code hardwired into Supergirl's subconscious. He uses the info contained within...to form a group to take back L.E.G.I.O.N. from its shadowy conqueror.

Very good book. Well drawn, and intelligently written.

Check it out.

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

Chapter 437 of the Naruto manga is one of the best parts of the whole series, imho. B-)
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

brnleague99

Post by brnleague99 »

I. WANT.

More than anything else, I want. It comes out 3/17/10. Get it...guys.

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

Since Tony Daniel took over, Batman has dropped to the least of the Gotham books, IMO.

When Winick was on it, it was solidly second tier, up with Batman and Robin. Judd had a good ear for Dick's personality.

And there was no rassafrassin' reversal of the best thing to happen to Batman's rogues gallery in years (Riddler's reformation). Stupid Daniel.

(FTR, my ranking: First tier: Detective, Batgirl; Second Tier: Batman and Robin, Red Robin (recently promoted); Third: Streets of Gotham and Gotham City Sirens; LAST: Batman.)

I sound so negative. >_>

To reverse that, I'll pimp a few books I'm loving like wow, right now...

Most impressive right now is Daytripper...or as I like to call it, The Many Deaths of Bràs. Each issue deals with a day in which the life of the main character, Bràs de Oliva Domingos, changes. Or ends...specifically, each deals with the version of the day wherein Bràs dies. This could be considered a spoiler, I suppose, but by the time you've read issue 2, the pattern is obvious. In any case, each day is also a turning point in his life, and in other issues, you'll see how his life went in the versions where he survived that day - not necessarily in following issues...the series so far has had him at 32, 21, 28, and 41, in that order. Inevitable conclusion or not, watching Bràs's life unfold - seeing how it might end at each of these junctures, but otherwise seeing how it continues, ups and downs, goods and bads - that's what's interesting about the series. Non-spoilery characters are Bràs, his buddy Jorge, his parents, and...well, every other major character is a spoiler of some sort, really. Go. Buy it. Read it. 'S Good.

On a very different note, there's Starstruck, from IDW. It's mostly reprinting a series that's been printed by various companies before (Heavy Metal, Marvel, Dark Horse, and Comico), but there's new material, and the existing material is recoloured and presented in a slightly different format. It's very good, and very...well, it was published in Heavy Metal, so that should give an idea of what the story's like. Definitely not a book you want to leave your brain at home for. Even with mental faculties fully in gear, it's not the easiest thing in the world to follow. >_>

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

TakerFoxx

Post by TakerFoxx »

I am loving House of Mystery. Given my love for Vertigo Comics and the Sandman in particular, this should come as no surprise, but this is one really good spin-off that actually does the source material justice. Eagerly waiting for the next volume. (And yes, I know House of Mystery did in fact exist pre-Sandman, but the current incarnation is based upon Neil Gaiman's interpretation of the characters, so it still counts as a spin-off :p )

In other news, I've been going through Alan Moore's run on the Swamp Thing. I am now coming to the conclusion that the 80's were the best decade for comics.
Start running.

Please?

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I'll agree with TakerFoxx on House of Mystery, I've been enjoying it quite a bit as well. :) Since I work at a bookstore and get to read all of these collections we have, I've also tried out the new omnibus editions of Starman... and I'll tell you, I'm quite pleased with how different a flavor they have from your average super hero comic. It's more about the people involved, and half the time the problems are solved by some ability that's greater than that possessed by mortal men.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

Yeah, House of Mystery is good. The semi-anthology format is neat - especially last issue, where we got two side stories, instead of just the one.

brnleague99

Post by brnleague99 »

I bought Batman #697.

In other words...I know who the Black Mask is and you don't.

Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

*goes insane*

B-)

But srsly, it's a good issue. Geddit!

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

I really get confuzzled with how they keep forever hanging things in DC.... I call fora total reboot so we can keep the old stories and i don't have to learn new stuff again!