Confessions

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Re: Confessions

Post by Lilianna »

Bear wrote:Everyone wishes they could find someone just like themselves though, even if they won't admit it. Its one of those secret fantasy things.
Really? Then what about the "opposites attract" thing?
ImageHEAD TECHNOLOGIST and GUARDIAN OF THE "THRONE".Image

CHIEF PROPHET OF CACAO, THE LORD AND GOD OF CHOCOLATIANITY

FSU Class of 2014!
Ailith wrote:Yes, it was intimate, it was passionate, it was sensual, and it ended with a few orgasms. So yeah, counts as sex to me.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Thats so people buy more chocoalte, candy, gifts cards etc to woo someone that they've got absolutely no chance of getting with. Its a conspiracy I tells yah!

Aren

Post by Aren »

Lilianna wrote:
Bear wrote:Everyone wishes they could find someone just like themselves though, even if they won't admit it. Its one of those secret fantasy things.
Opposites attract, but alikes stay together.

Psychological fact. The more you have in common with the person you're with, the less likely you are to split up.

Nathan Dorian

Post by Nathan Dorian »

Aren wrote:
Lilianna wrote:
Opposites attract, but alikes stay together.

Psychological fact. The more you have in common with the person you're with, the less likely you are to split up.
My fiance and I are incredibly different - in interests, hobbies, background, class, families, location, etc.

We love each other dearly. ;3

I think it's good to have a balance, really. We're very different yet amazingly like-minded.

Aren

Post by Aren »

Nathan Dorian wrote:My fiance and I are incredibly different - in interests, hobbies, background, class, families, location, etc.

I think it's good to have a balance, really. We're very different yet amazingly like-minded.
Tolerance helps, too.

However, if the two people truly fit the rule 'opposites attract', one will be dramatically less tolerant of difference than the other, and will generally end up being domineering and aggressive towards the other partner (who will, necessarily, be passive) when they disagree.

However, it doesn't change the fact that the people who stay together the longest tend to be the ones with similar interests, beliefs, and worldviews.

I couldn't get along well with someone who grew up in a city, because I'd resent them for the educational advantages and opportunities that they had (whether or not they took them - in fact, it'd be even worse if they didn't take them) that I didn't have, growing up in a rural area. The only AP course my high school offered was English, which was cancelled because of a 'lack of student interest'. 20 students wanted to take it, but because of our school's small budget (because we're in a rural area), the class needed 25. The only other language offered was French. Things like that.

My boyfriend grew up in an area as rural as I did, and while he's not angry at people who grew up in cities and frittered away their educational opportunities, we both understand that I'm a far more angry and political person than he is. Heh.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Lilianna wrote:@Don: Hm. If, in the future, there are clones, and you fuck your clone, is it sex or is it masturbation?
Well, technically, sex, of course. Genital intercourse between two poeple. Emotionally, masturbation - after all, you're having sex with someone you love! ;)

To just take a :geek: tangent, human cloning will be very interesting from the nature-vs.-nurture debate perspective. In the sense that identical twins, even if separated at birth, still, in almost all cases, grow up in the same world, co-chronologically, so to speak (unless one grows up in Manhattan and the other lands with an Indio tribe in the Amazon or somesuch). A clone would be genetically identical but grow up in a probably vastly different environment (think 30, 40 years of technological and cultural advance/change...). Then check how much the personalities etc. of clone and cloned resemble each other. But I'm pretty sure if I had a female clone, she would not be that similar to me. There are probably way more girls who share none of my genes but come much closer to the mirror ideal. I've just never met them... :cry:
Lilianna wrote:
Not sure about the chocolate etc. reply that bear gave (there might be something to it!), but I sure as hell don't believe in it. Being an egomaniacal self-centered monster (that's not a confession, as everyone keeps telling me that ;) ), I put high stakes in my opinions and someone who was diamteric to me in everything... No way! It's like matter and antimatter, we'd just annihilate each other. And please no talk of "we complement each other." If I can't share any of my hobbies with such a person, I fail to see how that could create a stable relationship...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Aren

Post by Aren »

Don Alexander wrote:If I can't share any of my hobbies with such a person, I fail to see how that could create a stable relationship...
Bingo.

Nathan Dorian

Post by Nathan Dorian »

Aren wrote:
Nathan Dorian wrote:My fiance and I are incredibly different - in interests, hobbies, background, class, families, location, etc.

Tolerance helps, too.

However, if the two people truly fit the rule 'opposites attract', one will be dramatically less tolerant of difference than the other, and will generally end up being domineering and aggressive towards the other partner (who will, necessarily, be passive) when they disagree.

However, it doesn't change the fact that the people who stay together the longest tend to be the ones with similar interests, beliefs, and worldviews.

I couldn't get along well with someone who grew up in a city, because I'd resent them for the educational advantages and opportunities that they had (whether or not they took them - in fact, it'd be even worse if they didn't take them) that I didn't have, growing up in a rural area. The only AP course my high school offered was English, which was cancelled because of a 'lack of student interest'. 20 students wanted to take it, but because of our school's small budget (because we're in a rural area), the class needed 25. The only other language offered was French. Things like that.

My boyfriend grew up in an area as rural as I did, and while he's not angry at people who grew up in cities and frittered away their educational opportunities, we both understand that I'm a far more angry and political person than he is. Heh.
My partner grew up with wealth, comfort, safety, love, an amazing education, constant support, hobbies, etc.

I grew up in near-poverty most of the time, a tiny village, shouting, abuse, fear, depression, a terrible education, no opportunities in life, etc.

I have grown past the stage of resentment, because I have grown up.

Our minds are oddly similar, despite all of our differences, so we have a constant connection in that similarity.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

@Lilianna: Slightly off topic, I really don't get that with the Rainforest Cafe light and lighting up peoples faces or something.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Aren

Post by Aren »

Nathan Dorian wrote:I have grown past the stage of resentment, because I have grown up.
And I suppose that pointing this out just proves your point, hm?

Congratulations on your opposites-attract relationship. You're the exception to the rule. *applaud* There, you're validated now.

PS: No, you're really not - because you said in your last sentence that your minds are 'oddly similar'.

*displeased*

Nathan Dorian

Post by Nathan Dorian »

Aren wrote:
Nathan Dorian wrote:I have grown past the stage of resentment, because I have grown up.
And I suppose that pointing this out just proves your point, hm?

Congratulations on your opposites-attract relationship. You're the exception to the rule. *applaud* There, you're validated now.

PS: No, you're really not - because you said in your last sentence that your minds are 'oddly similar'.

*displeased*
I was trying to point out that we're completely opposite in some ways, incredibly similar in others. See how I mentioned the word 'balance' before?

I don't understand your negativity towards the quote? I said that, because at one point I was very immature and resentful, and now I'm... Not. o_o

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

Don Alexander wrote:@Lilianna: Slightly off topic, I really don't get that with the Rainforest Cafe light and lighting up peoples faces or something.
Sorry, then. Just an example of similiarity. I'll go remove it, then.
ImageHEAD TECHNOLOGIST and GUARDIAN OF THE "THRONE".Image

CHIEF PROPHET OF CACAO, THE LORD AND GOD OF CHOCOLATIANITY

FSU Class of 2014!
Ailith wrote:Yes, it was intimate, it was passionate, it was sensual, and it ended with a few orgasms. So yeah, counts as sex to me.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Lilianna wrote:
Don Alexander wrote:@Lilianna: Slightly off topic, I really don't get that with the Rainforest Cafe light and lighting up peoples faces or something.
Sorry, then. Just an example of similiarity. I'll go remove it, then.
Whu? :shock:

No, no, no!!!

I just meant, what is it? Just didn't get it. You've done not the slightest wrong!
ImageImage

Aren

Post by Aren »

Nathan Dorian wrote:I don't understand your negativity towards the quote? I said that, because at one point I was very immature and resentful, and now I'm... Not. o_o
You said that you've grown past the stage of resentment, implying that because I still feel it, that I'm immature. And you've stated it yet again. When one person says "I'm abcdefg", and another person turns around and says, "Well, I was abcdefg, but I'm better now", it makes the second person look like a prick, and like they're demeaning the first person.

Nathan Dorian

Post by Nathan Dorian »

Aren wrote:
Nathan Dorian wrote:I don't understand your negativity towards the quote? I said that, because at one point I was very immature and resentful, and now I'm... Not. o_o
You said that you've grown past the stage of resentment, implying that because I still feel it, that I'm immature. And you've stated it yet again. When one person says "I'm abcdefg", and another person turns around and says, "Well, I was abcdefg, but I'm better now", it makes the second person look like a prick, and like they're demeaning the first person.
Ugh, sorry, I really didn't mean it that way. :C Being resentful was immature for me because, quite honestly, I used to be an absolute twat. But that's only in this particular case. Lord knows I can still be resentful in completely different situations.

I apologise for coming across that way, I don't think that your experiencing resent is neccissarily a bad thing (unless it causes you personal harm, 'cause that's just not nice.)