The Church Of Comic Books

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: The Church Of Comic Books

Post by Azrael »

Well yes. When you get down to it Batman is really a film noir private eye, just with a twist (and a bend or two). So internal monologueing is to be expected. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Combine Kato and the green hornet and you get batman.

always liked the green hornet and Kato.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

You know I really like? Who should get a hell of a lot more of a push than he does?

Hourman.

He's one of the, but not THE, only reasons I love the JSA so much. And he's developed quite the legacy, what with his father being the original Hourman and the robot Hourman living in the 853rd Century. Man, if anyone deserves a graphic novel it's Hourman.

B-)
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

Instead of a Rorschach figurine I finally bought a copy of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. Can't wait to dig in. :D
Resplendent King of Lizards and Darkness
Resident Firestarter, Wielder of the Falcon Punch
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS
Proudly signature-less since 1986. I mean... Fuck.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

The Dark Knight Returns was great - it was one of those books that helped bring Batman back from the brink of cheesiness and return him to the intimidating vigilante figure that he is today. This series was good, but don't bother with the later stories Frank Miller wrote in 2004 that continues off of this... seriously, the story had a good ending spot where it left off. My favorite aspect? How the idiot president was always drawn to look like Ronald Reagan. =))

There are discussions in the comic book community about how this was one of those stories that helped make comic books for adults again. The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, and Batman: The Killing Joke. Interestingly enough, a lot of people feel that the last one there was a sign of comic books going too far, and I can definitely see the point. Women in Refridgerators was a website that address this trend on the treatment of female characters in comics, and I for one liked the fact that it was addressed to help create stronger, positive female characters in comic books today.

... although I've seen that trend slipping of late, leading to a negative depiction female heroines again as there seems to be a growing number of cases in which they temporarily "forget" about their romantic feelings and have a random fling to ruin their relationships. But I've addressed that before in this thread with the whole issue of Jade and Green Lantern, even though that isn't the only case.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

I actually rather liked The Killing Joke, except for the rather solid and straight-forward explanation they give for the Joker going so crazy. I prefer to think of the backstory they give him as just one of several backstories the Joker has thought up of over the course of his deepening insanity.

Though, that throne sitting on top of the pile of babies (or dolls? Can't remember exactly) was kind of odd in an extreme way.
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS

Yen sid

Post by Yen sid »

Yeah, it was werid...but freaking awesome B-)
I actually love all batman books (I'm looking for the joker series back in 1970's...in his first issue? He kick aquaman in the private reigion....That when I knew I had to find this goldmine!)

Also anything with Ra's al ghul...He's one of my favorite baddies...EVER. I also want to read the preacher series along with superpowers by Benndis.
"Curse you, Teen Titans!" Impulse/Bart Allen

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Bendis' Powers is so good. :) Talk about your noir story... it's a collection of detective stories that just so happens to be centered around super powered beings and the fall out from their existence in society. However, I was a bit shocked as I read the latest collection to find out that in their reality 10 years had passed from the first story to this current one. :-o What? 10 years, really? Wow, that went by fast.

I also really like Invincible by Kirkman. I think it combines some of the "fun" of classic 50's and 60's comic book stories with some of the modern day sensibilities without getting so dark or gritty that it's always depressing. The hero does struggle and have adversity, but it's not all "woe is me" every issue. He actually has a good day now and again, which is nice.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

mac2

Post by mac2 »

I think it's time to bring this back to life.

I was never really into comics, but I found a couple i like. I got two of the Serenity comics that fill in the gap between the end of Firefly and the movie. Those Left Behind is entertaining, especialy if you can hear the character's voices as you read, but Better Days is excellent. It has several moments that are classic Firefly (can you call a show that only got 14 episode a classic? I think so.)
Yes, it is as bad as you think, and they are out to get you

Everything is significant until proven otherwise.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

i've always had it in my mind that the Joker is a crazy homicidal maniac, simply because he chooses to be and not because he's insane as such.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Java
Glazed and Confused

Post by Java »

I read Fables when I was staying over at a friends last summer in Chicago (I stayed in the city in the summer because otherwise the commute killed me). Pretty good series, I have to say, and the cover art is just fantastic. I'd definitely suggest it.

Otherwise, I feel like my list of comics I've read might seem a bit generic: The Sandman, The Watchmen, Transmetropolitan, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and Squee, Y: The Last Man, The Crow, Sin City, Persepolis I and II, SCUD .... tried reading Preacher but I had too many problems with it, couldn't bring myself to finish Hellboy either.

TakerFoxx

Post by TakerFoxx »

Generic maybe, but there's a reason those ones keep popping up on people's lists. Because they are awesome.

In addition to the ones already mentioned (especially the Sandman), I'm also a big Runaways fan. Definitely one of Marvel's best newer series, and it's created by the guy who did Y: the Last Man and Ex Machina, and they even got Joss Whedon to do an arc. Admittedly the quality does suffer after he leaves, but it's still worth a look.
Start running.

Please?

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Have to agree with you Java, a few too many problems with Preacher myself. If you like a good story (and I mentioned that I read it recently), I would recommend Bone by Jeff Smith. It takes a little while to really build up, but it's a very well told story. If you can get a hold of them, I also liked the old Vertigo series Books of Magic - which almost felt like it predicted the Harry Potter character several years earlier.

For more super-hero minded fare, I recommend two... Invincible by Image and Ultimate Spider Man by Marvel (duh, Chris! L-) ). While the Ultimate Spider Man is a finished series, Invincible is on-going and very well written. Give them a look, they both do a very good job in their own right!

Java
Glazed and Confused

Post by Java »

Actually, I had a few Bone comics when I was a kid. I think I was a bit too young for it though then, I'll have to check it out now :) I think I might have a friend that has the comics....

Also, I forgot Maus. Silly me. I'll have to look into those other comics as well DnE (especially when I'm less tipsy and I'm not misreading every other word :P Thanks for the suggestions! :-bd

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

I just finished Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again. Yeh, it was pretty silly. I think it was the first Frank Miller I didn't actually like.
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS