8-26-08 Aliens or something (guest strip)

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

8-26-08 Aliens or something (guest strip)

Post by Giz »

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Re: 8-26-08 Aliens or something (guest strip)

Post by brnleague99 »

First again!

Harley and Poison Ivy...that's a hoot. I always DID suspect that those two had more than a business relationship.

:D
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

IS_Wolf

Post by IS_Wolf »

That last pic, so many possibilities. Especially, since Harley seems like the submissive type and Ivy is quite handy with the clinging vines. :twisted:
brnleague99 wrote:First again!

Harley and Poison Ivy...that's a hoot. I always DID suspect that those two had more than a business relationship.

That's even hinted at in The Animated Series. With Batgirl asking Ivy what's up with her and Harley. With Ivy responding, same thing as between you and Supergirl. (rough paraphrase)

Zook

Post by Zook »

Good guest artist check in. Thanks man! I assume that Gary is leaning back and getting some fantasy time in after the demoralization of the desk TMI.

aishabe

Post by aishabe »

Wow.
On P&A, I always hated guest artists, but this was good.
Even though I know it's Poison Ivy, Didi in the last panel reminds me of Illusen from Neopets.
Yeah, I used to go on Neopets. Big whoop. Wanna fight about it?
Lady High Vice Mistress, Mistress of Vices

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

IS_Wolf wrote:That's even hinted at in The Animated Series. With Batgirl asking Ivy what's up with her and Harley. With Ivy responding, same thing as between you and Supergirl. (rough paraphrase)
That was actually in a comic that Dini and Timm did... Batgirl Adventures.

The exact exchange:

Harls: Oh, Ivy can't hurt me. She gave me a special shot once, so we can play, and I won't get sick at all.
Babs: You mean you two are...
H: What?
B: You and Ivy are...well...friends...
H: Yeeeees...?
B: You know...friends...like...
H: Like what everybody says about you and Supergirl?
B: What?! Who says...? Forget it! Forget it!

Zii as Harley is a great choice, but Didi just isn't the Ivy type. >_>
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

MerchManDan
Nerd-At-Large (Mostly Harmless)

Post by MerchManDan »

Ah, Falingard; an excellent choice for a guest artist. How I do wish Flaky Pastry could be updated more often than once a week.
At first, I wasn't too sure about the Kirk/Spock combo, but then I thought...what if they hadn't made it to Vulcan in time?
Operator of The Penultimate Darkness Pit: Gift Store of the Cavey Cave of Elderly Elders
Exclusive and Singular Seller of The OmniFork!
Fen wrote:Because sometimes one cult is not enough.
Another helpful emoticon: Image Courtesy of yiraheerai

sebastian

Post by sebastian »

Kamino Neko wrote:
IS_Wolf wrote:Zii as Harley is a great choice, but Didi just isn't the Ivy type. >_>
Yep, Zii is really in-character, but Didi is tricky, she is not malicius enough for Poison Ivy or other villainesses, paradoxically I think she could be a good Harley, too (she have a kind of a naive side... sometimes) else, I don't know, Mary Marvel maybe? and of course there is always Power Girl. :)

Gredinus

Post by Gredinus »

Thank God, its just a guest strip.
I almoust thought you were changeing art style like Krud did at F@NB0Y$...
Ugh his so called "Imporved" art stlye is like 10x uglier than his last one (witch was good).

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Now don't get me wrong with what I'm about to say. I like the guest strip. Its very well drawn and a splash of colour to Ma3 is a very welcome addition in my mind. Its just at first glance the humour didn't hit me the same way that Giz and Dave's does. It took me a second read through with my broadbase of comic knowledge for it to really click.

Batman and Robin... long been hinted that those two were gay, infact I'm pretty sure there was a strip in the 60's of their Bruce and Dick persona in bed together that caused alot of trouble. I really wasn't sure about the Spock and Kirk one... Kirk is so obviously not gay it doesn't make sense to have the two like that. I think somehow maybe doing them as Luke and Leia would have been alot more twistedly funny.

I defiantely agree with people who say that Zii and DiDi don't really fit the roles of Ivy and Harley. Hell its been hinted that they were lovers more then once, both in comics and in the animated series too... but I think drawing them the other way around, DiDi as Harley and Zii as Ivy would have worked better. DiDi is definately the more fun loving and uninhibited soul like Harley is, and Zii has that creepy intelligent twist that would fit Ivy more. Thats my two cents at least.

Anyway.. a good addition and a great first guest strip. I only hope the next two are half as good as this.

Avistew

Post by Avistew »

I really liked that one. Especially Dillon. And Matt. They look neat.

To the person who was wondering about kirk and Spock... You know, the term "slash" comes from people pairing Kirk and Spock, right? It's like the official first slash ever. So yeah, no suprise here for me. And Dillon is a great Kirk :P

It's obviously different, but that's what guest comics are meant to be. And I liked the art style, and the color.

Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

I too could see DiDi as Power Girl, in terms of physical resemblance, if not personality. Then again, it's not that PG has had over the decades anything like a consistent personality, origin story, or anything other than her chest size, thanks to the precedent set by Wally Wood.

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

Bear wrote:I defiantely agree with people who say that Zii and DiDi don't really fit the roles of Ivy and Harley. Hell its been hinted that they were lovers more then once, both in comics and in the animated series too... but I think drawing them the other way around, DiDi as Harley and Zii as Ivy would have worked better. DiDi is definately the more fun loving and uninhibited soul like Harley is, and Zii has that creepy intelligent twist that would fit Ivy more. Thats my two cents at least.
But DiDi is TALLER! Taller, Bear, surely you see the logic of making Poison Ivy the tall one (which she is in Batman comics). I mean I should know...I own nearly 800 Bat-titles from the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's and 2000's...and I've read god knows how many reprints in graphic novels.

Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

IS_Wolf

Post by IS_Wolf »

Kamino Neko wrote:
Harls: Oh, Ivy can't hurt me. She gave me a special shot once, so we can play, and I won't get sick at all.
Babs: You mean you two are...
H: What?
B: You and Ivy are...well...friends...
H: Yeeeees...?
B: You know...friends...like...
H: Like what everybody says about you and Supergirl?
B: What?! Who says...? Forget it! Forget it!

Zii as Harley is a great choice, but Didi just isn't the Ivy type. >_>
Thanks.. Only half-remembered the general exchange. Knew that the punchline was the comparison with Batgirl and Supergirl and that Batgirl got kinda flustered by it.

Anyway, Ivy does have a caring side. Sure, it'll have to involve kids to bring it out, but she isn't a complete homicidal maniac like some of the others in the Bat-gallery.

Anyway, as mentioned Powergirl could've worked as well. Or maybe Dolphin. *ponder ponder*

Starfire.. Kory's initial stay with the Teen Titans has her as a bit of an airhead as well, due to the differences in cross cultural behaviour. And Kory is deceptively strong for her supermodel frame. Also not exactly shy when it comes to the nudity department.
Bear wrote: I really wasn't sure about the Spock and Kirk one... Kirk is so obviously not gay it doesn't make sense to have the two like that.
Enjoy.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I liked the colour. I didn't get the humour at all though. Possibly because the Star Trek reference and the - what I thought was a jester and the Titan Gaia - reference just confused me. I prefer Giz's style of drawing, but the colour was nice.

Upon reading this thread, I understood it a bit more, but I came to the conclusion that I'm really not geeky enough to find that amusing. Glad it's just a guest strip.