Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Bear
BANNED

Re: 7-26-08 Gyaaaaahhhh!!!

Post by Bear »

Phoenix wrote:Bear is English, too ? :D
Yup, I'm English. ;)
IS_Wolf wrote:Marvel and universe reboots? :?:

Far as I know, they tend to gloss over continuity or do a localized reset like Brand New Day

Universal resets are a hallmark of DC. Note the various Crisis storylines

As for Superman, it's the reason why Marvel created the Sentry. Just in case, they'd ever do another Marvel vs DC comic.

Although, they also have Gladiator and Hyperion for such activities really.
The Ultimate Marvel universe... thats the Marvel reboot. But thats the point I was trying to make in that Marvel have just as many, if not more, characters that are just as godmoding as any DC character you'd want to name. Thats and they've revived that many confirmed dead characters so many times, the Marvel afterlife might as well have a revolving door.

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

Where's Congo Bill and Congorilla when you need them?

A simple underrated story that for some reason...brings teh grin to my face.

:D
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

Dave Zero1

Post by Dave Zero1 »

Bear wrote:
Dave Zero1 wrote:I used to love reading the Beano growing up, The Bash street Kids, Dennis the menace (not him, the other Dennis), Gnasher... Good times...
I never knew that they got those in Canada... nice to see the old classics still have a space in peoples hearts when they're starting to die out over here.
Used to be you could get them at newstands, & Annuals at bookstores, though they stopped being distribuited in canada for a long time now, I remember my dad would buy me the beno, the Dandy, Beezer, and on rare occasions the Buster. But the Beano was always my favorite.

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

Continuing one of the hijacks, but, oh, well.

For the record, 2000 AD and its spin-off Judge Dredd Megazine (not a typo) are still publishing (most recent issues being either Prog 1596 or 1597 and issue 247, respectively), as is the adult comic Viz, so it's certainly not true that the Beano's the only game going in the UK. BUT, aside from those 4 titles, I'm not familiar with any non-defunct British comics (RIP, Warrior), so I certainly can't say they've got a healthy industry - though, to my understanding they're better off than continental Europe, for the most part, as they do manage to support at least 4 non-Disney magazines, which many other countries can't claim.

North American comics are pretty anaemic at the moment, too - total sales for DC or Marvel in a given month are frequently on par with single issues back in the 60s or 70s, and in the indies side, entire companies can have sales lower than the (obviously low) cancellation cut-off for the big companies.

The healthiest comics industries right now are in Asia - the sales of Japanese and Korean books in North America certainly helps them along, but even sales at home leave western sales in the dust, for the most part - and even they're dropping, lately.
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Kamino Neko wrote:For the record, 2000 AD and its spin-off Judge Dredd Megazine (not a typo) are still publishing (most recent issues being either Prog 1596 or 1597 and issue 247, respectively), as is the adult comic Viz, so it's certainly not true that the Beano's the only game going in the UK. BUT, aside from those 4 titles, I'm not familiar with any non-defunct British comics (RIP, Warrior), so I certainly can't say they've got a healthy industry - though, to my understanding they're better off than continental Europe, for the most part, as they do manage to support at least 4 non-Disney magazines, which many other countries can't claim.
Thats pretty much all we've got left that purely British comic wise thats still going. Judge Dredd and 2000AD, Viz, and the Dandy and The Beano are the only ones of any significance or are well known that are still around. Ohh.. and Tank Girl...

But.. alot of popular American comics have been by British writers and artists... HellBlazer and Sandman to name two.

IS_Wolf

Post by IS_Wolf »

Bear wrote:

Far as I know, they tend to gloss over continuity or do a localized reset like Brand New Day

As for Superman, it's the reason why Marvel created the Sentry. Just in case, they'd ever do another Marvel vs DC comic.

The Ultimate Marvel universe... thats the Marvel reboot. But thats the point I was trying to make in that Marvel have just as many, if not more, characters that are just as godmoding as any DC character you'd want to name. Thats and they've revived that many confirmed dead characters so many times, the Marvel afterlife might as well have a revolving door.
Eh, I see the Ultimate universe as more akin to an Elsewhere storyline/series, considering it has zero impact on the official 616 universe. A reboot would mean, starting completely over and ignoring any previous events. Not quite the case, considering that old universe still very much exists. The term reboot is far more appropriate for the Crisis occurrences. Powergirl for instance, going from an alternate version of Supergirl to an Atlantean etc etc etc. Or Legion of Superheroes or whatever they were called. Superboy helped found it, then he didn't (but some other Daxamite alien), then he did, but it was another Superboy etc.

Point on the Marvel afterlife though. After all, the saying did go: the only ones who stay dead are Captain Marvel, Bucky and Uncle Ben. It currently is: The only one who stays dead is Uncle Ben. :P

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

IS_Wolf wrote:
Bear wrote:

Eh, I see the Ultimate universe as more akin to an Elsewhere storyline/series, considering it has zero impact on the official 616 universe. A reboot would mean, starting completely over and ignoring any previous events. Not quite the case, considering that old universe still very much exists. The term reboot is far more appropriate for the Crisis occurrences. Powergirl for instance, going from an alternate version of Supergirl to an Atlantean etc etc etc. Or Legion of Superheroes or whatever they were called. Superboy helped found it, then he didn't (but some other Daxamite alien), then he did, but it was another Superboy etc.

Point on the Marvel afterlife though. After all, the saying did go: the only ones who stay dead are Captain Marvel, Bucky and Uncle Ben. It currently is: The only one who stays dead is Uncle Ben. :P
But at least he left behind his wonderful rice legacy.

:D
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

Bear wrote:But.. alot of popular American comics have been by British writers and artists... HellBlazer and Sandman to name two.
Still are, actually. Morrison, Ennis (though I hate his output, he sells), Ellis (slow as hell, but putting out some of the better comics out there when he finally finishes something), Gaiman's mostly out, but he was drawn back with the offer of an interesting Batman story. Millar's behind most of the current Marvel U status quo... I'm wondering about chicken and egg...is the British industry failing because the talent was poached? Did they cross the pond because the industry was going downhill? (Or, of course, are the two points unrelated?)
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

From my understanding its because most of it was poached by DC, many of them then moved onto Marvel and Darkhorse etc. That and I don't think many of the comics of the day were marketted properly over here when they were still in their golden age. Heck, we have had our own successes... Dan Dare, 2000AD, Thunderbirds etc, but the superhero comics never seemed to get a proper launch... Hell, after the war american comics were mostly used as ship ballest when transported over here.

Now of course, unless your Marvel or DC based, or have something totally unique like Dark Horses Hellboy and others like Sandman and 2000AD, no-one seems to care. Also I think TV and home computer consoles have managed to kill off comics.... Why go out and buy a comic when you've got a half dozen cartoons on TV of the type, or a computer game you can plug in and lasts longer?