01-10-09 Art models let it all hang out!

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Java
Glazed and Confused

Re: 01-10-09 Art models let it all hang out!

Post by Java »

Exactly my thinking Mil. I've found that copying from images to learn how to draw anatomy was really painfully slow compared to drawing from a live nude model. Even going into college, I couldn't really draw the male form very well (it all looked feminine) because I had my own body to go off of (as well as a few live-model classes, but for some reason I always ended up with a female model) but I had nothing to really study for men. My ability to draw men tripled from just a 3-week intensive with a live male nude model. I think what really helped was that when you're drawing a 2-D photographic image, a lot of angles skew the body just a little here or there, so it's much harder to get a good sense of how proportions work. The other problem is that it's just a tiny image. With a life model you can take your time and use a stick to really measure out how the proportions work, as well as walk around the figure to see just how light bounces off the form. Of course images are useful, especially after you feel confident in knowing how proportions on human beings work, but when you're just starting out the two just don't really compare.
Undisclosed wrote:Well,seeing as how great Gary draws guys,you think it wouldn't be an issue drawing wangs.Then again,this is Gary we're talking about.I'd probably be uncomfortable drawing some dude's junk too if I were him.
I realize I'm a woman and the first time I drew a man naked was the first time I saw a man naked in life, but the first few drawings I did everything I could to get in a position where you couldn't see any genitals. I only got over it as fast as I did because the teacher practically planted me in a place the next day where I absolutely had to paint them in. So I'd say it's more than understandable he'd make his models look like Ken Dolls.

AniDragon

Post by AniDragon »

What Milnoc said. Photo refference can only go so far. You really need a live model to really get an idea of how the human body works.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Sara Hysaro

Post by Sara Hysaro »

Another hilariously great strip. :)

So does panel 3 mean that he's okay with drawing junk now, since he said it was early work and he wasn't comfortable with drawing it? Just asking because one post seemed to imply that he still has this issue.

Anyways, I'm 99% certain that Gary will find himself with a female nude model. Maybe Yuki if she's comfortable with it. Might not wind up with one right now, but that would be a likely way to stop Didi from popping his cherry. I wonder who will get there first- Zii or Didi?

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

what would be more amusing than didi walking in on yuki modeling for gary in the nude?

didi walking on yuki beating the hell out of gary for some perceived slight, in the nude.
Yet still, I live...

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

And Gary not defending himself because he's mesmerized by the motions of Yuki breasts as she beats him? @-) :))
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Paul
Location: Humble hewn-from-a-small-cliff living quarters deep in Mink Hollow

Post by Paul »

Let's see...mesmerized Gary getting his ass kicked by a nude Yuki, Didi barging in naked, and Zii arrives to photograph it all! :))

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

If Gary doesn't get laid, I can definitely live with that scenario! :)

Just as long as he gets laid by the end of the year, even if it's with Dillon. After a while, a running gag just has to end.

Sangrood

Post by Sangrood »

For someone uncomfortable with drawing it, he seems rather intent on Matt's junk in panel 2 :-\

Sara Hysaro

Post by Sara Hysaro »

Sangrood wrote:For someone uncomfortable with drawing it, he seems rather intent on Matt's junk in panel 2 :-\
He doesn't seem to be comfortable looking at it though. It's kind of a "o_o" expression, or at least it seems to be that way for me.