19-05-09 Morning faux pas

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

tareacel

Re: 19-05-09 Morning faux pas

Post by tareacel »

"Case in point...Dillon's current shock about Matt was not enough to keep his character in check in relation to past negative exploits"

~~~~

As one of my old math teachers would say, "You don't have enough information to solve the equation for x." AKA, we haven't seen enough for you to possibly be able to tell whether Dillon's character is in check or not. As I mentioned in another thread, it seems to me and to others that he is struggling to maintain what, for him, is a sense of normalcy (Normalcy for Dillon being his normal, wacky behavior) but he's obviously got a happy face on and is not truly happy. For someone who wants to take the comic so seriously, you're not taking the characters very seriously at all this time. You're looking at them only as caricatures and humor/plot devices in this past rant, where in others you seemed to be taking them *so* seriously it was like you'd taken them to heart and they'd (especially Dillom) personally harmed or offended you in some way.

You've got to realize that you don't know the whole equation yet. You *can't* know the reason behind Dillon's behavior because you are not the writer. You *can't* know what's in Gary's head, because you are not the writer. Furthermore, to be honest, it is totally *not* your place to say who deserves what and who should do what and who should be kicked out. You're a reader. Not the writer.

~Tareacel

mayhemeffect

Post by mayhemeffect »

SaBomJon wrote:Well, I do apologize for being considerably outspoken on the matter,
<pointles drivel>
Here's where I will climb off my soapbox. I hope I have explained myself well enough, and think you for your time.
Ok I went and read the comic you posted in your sig, and whatever makes you feel so self rightous in your observations on charachter development and comidic evaluation is serious lacking. Some things, including charachter personality, can be better illistraited in ways otherthan breaking the 4th wall for exposition. The jokes are barren as a desert and it looks like nothing more than another soapbox for you to dicharge your bile of an opinion about the patheticness of modern society(not that I totaly diagree there). Take some time to look and see if you are part of the exact problem you hate so much.

Other than that I would love to know WHAT crimes people honestly think Dillion has commited, the closest was the break of the drawing table. He had an accompliss and he and Matt made right of the situation. Dillion(and Matt untill the 'cheating' incident) aren't really due for a karmic backlash. Zii is the only one who may be due, but we are all chearing for her antics.
Hugs & Curses

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

Who keeps ordering the Trollchow?

I keep putting it away, and people keep taking it back out again.

*sigh*
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

David Johnston

Post by David Johnston »

SaBomJon wrote:Well, I do apologize for being considerably outspoken on the matter, but I do take my favorite webcomics quite seriously! As someone who reads and also draws comics, I do study other people's works, especially for something that has a great measure of quality so far like Ma3.

Perhaps one of the reasons I rail as I do is the fact that I do NOT want this comic to slip into the mindless drivel that makes up the majority of American sit-coms.

What? This comic has been a more explicit pastiche of Three's Company with a dose of Will and Grace from the start. It is what it is, dude.

SaBomJon

Post by SaBomJon »

mayhemeffect wrote:Ok I went and read the comic you posted in your sig, and whatever makes you feel so self rightous in your observations on charachter development and comidic evaluation is serious lacking. Some things, including charachter personality, can be better illistraited in ways otherthan breaking the 4th wall for exposition. The jokes are barren as a desert and it looks like nothing more than another soapbox for you to dicharge your bile of an opinion about the patheticness of modern society(not that I totaly diagree there). Take some time to look and see if you are part of the exact problem you hate so much.
When posting and expressing your point, please try to keep in consideration that spelling is vital to how your message is perceived. It gives a lot of credence to your message. Seriously, people will pay attention to what you write when you show you have mastery over grammar and sentence structure.

Second of all, I never claimed that my comic on it's own was the end-all-be-all. Truth be told, what you see on my website is my material from 5-11 years ago, not a very good track record, I readily admit. Having copped to that, I accept your criticism as something more I can use to hone my craft.

As far as comics that show quality, I cited Paul Taylor's "Wapsi Square", NOT my own comic. My work is constantly work-in-progress, (if you were ever to read the issues I've published, NOT the strips, from beginning to end, you would see this) and should you care to follow my website in the future, you will see work that will outshine the current strips currently posted. Thank you again for reminding me that I need to get my better material out there for people to see. I know I have no excuse, but trying to write and draw in the middle of the 1,001 things in my life that demand my attention is no easy task. If I was trying to be self-righteous, I would have said "Look at my comic and you will see what is funny!" I didn't, and am not trying to be as such.

Just because my past original work isn't quite up to snuff (and I readily admit that it isn't), that doesn't mean I can't recognize quality work from poor. My observations are just as valid as your own to a certain comic being better than another. I don't sit on the laurels of my previous work, but strive to study the artists and writers that I do admire and respect in order to learn and apply what I can learn. Gisele is a shining example of quality artwork, as well as styles that evolve over time.

I am glad to hear that there are aspects on the pitfalls of modern society that we do agree on. Thank you for being in somewhat agreement. It is appreciated.
mayhemeffect wrote:Other than that I would love to know WHAT crimes people honestly think Dillion has commited, the closest was the break of the drawing table. He had an accompliss and he and Matt made right of the situation. Dillion(and Matt untill the 'cheating' incident) aren't really due for a karmic backlash. Zii is the only one who may be due, but we are all chearing for her antics.
I've already gone over the activities of Dillon, and yes, Matt was an accomplice. They negated their "right choice" by choosing to defile Gary's table before giving it to him. I've already argued that point in previous threads.

Zii is guilty of her own crimes, but she at least has had a goodly share of checks and balances. She has gone through the tension of worrying about her job, her failed exploits to try to get more physical with DiDi (another character that is in high need of more depth and development). These have been ways to try to get her to remember that she doesn't rule the universe that's been created here, though she continues to try anyway. She has gotten the proverbial egg smooshed on her face in ways that Matt and Dillon have not, or at least, not yet.
David Johnston wrote:What? This comic has been a more explicit pastiche of Three's Company with a dose of Will and Grace from the start. It is what it is, dude.
As far as a more "adult version of 'Three's Company'", yes, I see the similarities in the set-up, but pray this strip can be more entertaining and MUCH more innovative than the 1970's series. I've seen so far what Gisele has been able to do, taking strips with a premise that some would find quite predictable (P & A, CCS), and turning them into something extraordinary.

This will be my last post on this topic. I thank those that have voiced their opinions, even and especially to those with opposing opinions. They have been read and reflected on.
"Try not! DO, or do not.....there is no 'try'!"

www.sa-bomjimcomic.com

mayhemeffect

Post by mayhemeffect »

If you are going to lead off with condeming spelling errors in an attempt it invalidate people's comments, again look to your own work first. I felt such tactics were unnessecary and childish.

"THINK you for your time"

And you stated your credentials as someone who makes comics, that places your work upon the table, we cannot judge from what is not exposed to us.

Your conccept of karma is askew.

Edit: sorry, I just reread the last portion of your commments and it feels nessecary to incude a quote
"So long, and thanks for all the fish." -Douglas Adams (red herrings seems to be a common parting gift)
Hugs & Curses

SaBomJon

Post by SaBomJon »

mayhemeffect wrote:If you are going to lead off with condeming spelling errors in an attempt it invalidate people's comments, again look to your own work first. I felt such tactics were unnessecary and childish.

"THINK you for your time"
I was trying to open with a constructive criticism for you to use to better yourself in future posts/discussions. With all the errors I saw, it was detracting to the message that you were trying to get across. I was trying to see through all of that to what you were saying. Errors tend to clutter and obscure the message one tries to get across. That was the message I was attempting to convey, to give you something to learn and apply. Believe it or not, I was trying to be helpful in that suggestion.

Take it as you will.

www.sa-bomjimcomic.com

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

Oh FFS!

The two of you have a PM button...it's there for a reason.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

SaBomJon

Post by SaBomJon »

Sorry Asaryu,

Didn't mean for this to drag on this long out in the open. I am chagrined, and shall make note to exercise more control in the future. Thank you for your concern, and I shall heed your wise words.

www.sa-bomjimcomic.com

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

It's cool, dude. I'm not a Mod.

I just likes Green.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Asaryu, when someone asks you if you are a Mod, you say YES! :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

No no no...that wouldbe lying.

Besides, who needs to be a mod when you can threaten with tentacoo wa3p?

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

This thread is in danger of being modlocked as certain people are starting to step into trollish territory. As Suggested, please take it into pm's if you wish to continue your discussion.

SaBomJon

Post by SaBomJon »

"Edit: sorry, I just re-read the last portion of your comments and it feels nessecary to include a quote
"So long, and thanks for all the fish." -Douglas Adams (red herrings seems to be a common parting gift)"

Douglas Adams rules! I love "Hitchhiker's Guide"! The original BBC Radio drama is awesome! I've been looking around for the other radio drama adaptations to see if they hold up as well as the first two parts.

www.sa-bomjimcomic.com

HotlyContested

Post by HotlyContested »

Azrael wrote:Asaryu, when someone asks you if you are a Mod, you say YES! :p
:D