16-04-09 Violator-san

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Re: 16-04-09 Violator-san

Post by Kamino Neko »

Daremo wrote:I can't say Macross was notably improved by Macek and company, Southern Cross sure wasn't, Genesis Climber Mospeda was mostly left alone. The shame of it all is, Robotech was actually a really good story, and probably would have made a really good original show.
Southern Cross, actually, WAS improved, being the only one noticeably changed. The original series was actually quite lame.

Macross, the plot, the characterization, both intact. The change in the Protoculture was the only significant change (the origin of the SDF-1 wasn't major, being purely a macguffin) that wasn't strictly naming - and the actual Protoculture's role was shuffled onto the Robotech Masters, with little actual change, just as the Supervision Army was replaced with the Invid (that was pretty much just a name issue, since the Supervision Army was entirely non-specific in the TV series, though the equivalent from the Macross movie-verse, the Meltrandi, was quite specific).

This latter, actually points out another humorous thing about the 'maceckre' claim - the Macross movie, Do You Remember Love?, actually changes the story far more than Robotech does - the Zentradi and Meltrandi are the same species (an offshoot of the Protoculture) fighting a literal war of the sexes; Roy Fokker's death happened at a different point, under different circumstances; the Earth was COMPLETELY destroyed by the Zentraedi attack; the Hikaru/Minmei/Misa love triangle never happened because the Hikaru/Misa relationship timeline was accelerated, and Minmei (an insufferable bitch from the start) became the stalker, not Hikaru; Max Jenius joined the Meltrandi rebels (including his getting demicronized and piloting a female power armour, rather than a VT), rather than Milya joining the humans, etc.
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Doctor Emmit Brown

Post by Doctor Emmit Brown »

Oh I agree that the new script for SPC was hilarious. One of my fave lines from the show came from the episode "Stop Dragon My Cat Around"

Narrator: And out from the mist came the most terrifying creature our animators could draw!

SPC probably wouldn't have been such a big hit in the US if it weren't for the new script. I just don't agree with the idea that they were allowed to do such a thing, with SPC and Robotech and all the other anime released over here in the 70s and 80s. The idea that the original artists' ideas didn't matter and the American company could do whatever they wanted with the property. This was the reason we didn't have Miyazaki movies for a long time too don't forget.
"Thanks, Dad! The toy every kid wants, a container ship! Now I can replicate international commerce." - Adam Savage

Minion (and sexual slave) of Asaryu.

farthingale
Gynecratic Romanticist

Post by farthingale »

Bear wrote:It was my favourite cartoon series as a kid.... damnit, now I've got to see if I can track down old episodes.
You can find them... on Youtube! :D I just did.

And Hello! I'm not dead, just quietly watching and chuckling. This strip is moving ever closer to actual HLS, and I am grateful for that. :p
Dashing Gentlelady of the Elder Cave Harem. Defender of Honour, Ripper of Bodices.
Image Image

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:The idea that the original artists' ideas didn't matter and the American company could do whatever they wanted with the property.
The original creators' ideas DID matter.

Their ideas were 'give us the money, then go and do whatever the hell that you want'. It was a very rare thing that any creator cared what was done with his stuff outside of their own market.

Again, the case of Samurai Pizza Cats, specifically, Tatsunoku literally didn't give two shits about the translation. The only way they could have made a literal translation HARDER would be to provide only the video masters, and not even let Saban get the story mostly correct by ear.

It's not even just anime in North America - cruise IMDB and take a look at foreign versions of American films, or American versions of foreign films, particularly animation and genre fiction; the number of extreme changes is pretty hillarious - running times can vary by as much as a quarter of the film's total length, endings changed, complete redubbing, with completely new stories over the original footage, and so on.
This was the reason we didn't have Miyazaki movies for a long time too don't forget.
Miyazaki was a rarity, in that he cared, or even knew, what the licensor did with the film.
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

farthingale wrote:And Hello! I'm not dead, just quietly watching and chuckling. This strip is moving ever closer to actual HLS, and I am grateful for that. :p
Yay! Your alive still and haven't left us! :ymhug:

farthingale
Gynecratic Romanticist

Post by farthingale »

Bear wrote:
farthingale wrote:And Hello! I'm not dead, just quietly watching and chuckling. This strip is moving ever closer to actual HLS, and I am grateful for that. :p
Yay! Your alive still and haven't left us! :ymhug:
Yup! Nom nom nom... I made mushroom-sauce noodle! :D

I have been drawing SO much Epic Lesbian Gentry art recently (not a title, but a GENRE!) that I haven't even attempted to dip back into fanart. Since Yuki came long... I just might have to! Those two -- she and Zii -- seem far too similar in energy to really get along too long, like they'd wear each other out with all the pinball ricochet vibes. DiDi, whereas, is much more chilled...

...Saaaaay... you don't suppose... THEY'RE the titular (heehee) Menage a Trois?
Dashing Gentlelady of the Elder Cave Harem. Defender of Honour, Ripper of Bodices.
Image Image

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

You should share some of that art in the GD forum. We be tasteful critics of such things. *nods* :p
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

farthingale
Gynecratic Romanticist

Post by farthingale »

Hmm... your'e dead right, you know... I should go do that now.
Image Image

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

i wonder why Yuki reacted like that to the subject matter. Not the subject matter itself, but what is it about HER herself that caused such a reaction to whatever it was.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

NobodySpecial

Post by NobodySpecial »

Probably because she's pure Dom, and tentacle rape makes the woman pretty much hardcore Sub.
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll

"If love is the answer, you're home."

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

I'm pretty sure that if Yuki was pure Dom, she wouldn't have been so easy to get into those handcuffs. I'm pretty sure that if that paradigm has even been used, that she'd be a switch.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Ray D

Post by Ray D »

I have a strong feeling that Gary's comic book looks rather like this:
This is by Dave Stevens, a disciple of the great Wally Wood, and he seems to have nailed DiDi pretty neatly...thought not as neatly as the monster has.