21-02-09 Stuck with your keys

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Re: 21-02-09 You took my panties!

Post by Fen »

Didi's french is getting a bit annoying. There's just too much of it. A word or two is ok, but it's already getting too hard for a non-french-speaker to completely understand everything=/.
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Nibler
Professional Lurker

Post by Nibler »

Agreed, I struggled to understand what she said here, even if I got the big picture.
This is not the greatest signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute.

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I don't know. I only speak a little French and I didn't have any trouble understanding what she was saying there.

I love Zii. She deals out the wisdom. "You live by the sword, you die by the sword". I question whether they'll fit, since Zii is a tiny lil thing, but what must be, must be. Gary must wear Zii's underroos.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

Gil Hamilton wrote:speak a little French
which is the key word. Not everyone speaks the least bit of french. All i get are the latin-sounded words, which aren't the majority.
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

DMoness

Post by DMoness »

I agree the second panel is great. With every comic i like Zii more and more.

by the way her panties has a cute kitty print on them

JMac85

Post by JMac85 »

I'm guessing they're gonna get somewhere they think is safe, and just as Gary is "modeling" for the girls Eulice will burst through the door, express a combination of amazement/horror, and quietly back the hell off. :D

Borris

Post by Borris »

I guess we can safely assume Gary and Zii to both be able to speak a little French as well. At least enough to understand whatever Didi is saying without ever having to ask her to repeat what she said in English. DiDi, on the other side, did prove to have trouble with more than a few English words.

But as a native French speaker, what bothers me the most about DiDi's manner of speech is that she sounds less like a francophone who has difficulties speaking English and more like an anglophone who intentionally peppers her speech with high-school French. The former would occasionally use the wrong syntax, have trouble with English verb tenses, and use French words for terms that are uncommon or hard to translate. Rather, DiDi uses perfectly fine English syntax and moslty uses French to replace the most common and simple words. It certainly makes things easier to understand for readers who most likely have just a high-school level of French, but it doesn't sound very natural to me.

Good thing the comic is otherwise so very awesome.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Giz being a native French speaker and having English as her second language, purposely has DiDi speaking her form of franglish so that its easier for the English speaking audience to understand her.

Pfhreak

Post by Pfhreak »

Borris wrote:I guess we can safely assume Gary and Zii to both be able to speak a little French as well.
IIRC, Giz has said that DiDi's accent is exaggerated to draw attention to her being francophone, that her accent is less pronounced on the other side of the Fourth Wall.
Borris wrote:The former would occasionally use the wrong syntax, have trouble with English verb tenses,...
So far, she's on the same level as most native speakers. ;)
The wall of separation between church and state is a good start, but let's put in a minefield, too.

Doctor Emmit Brown

Post by Doctor Emmit Brown »

Frankly I'm not that surprised with Didi's reaction. We already know that she rather enjoys snoo snoo, and that she has many lovers. Her actions do sometimes come across as innocent, but that might be more a case of "English is her second language" than "she's just so innocent and virginal!". Don't forget that she may have checked out Gary's Guitar Hero for star power when Zii wasn't looking. I'm guessing that with all she's done, she has probably picked up a couple of kinks here and there, as we all do when we find out what we like. Guys wearing skimpy underwear isn't so far fetched really. Hell I know guys that wear girl's jeans.
"Thanks, Dad! The toy every kid wants, a container ship! Now I can replicate international commerce." - Adam Savage

Minion (and sexual slave) of Asaryu.

David Johnston

Post by David Johnston »

Fen wrote:Didi's french is getting a bit annoying. There's just too much of it. A word or two is ok, but it's already getting too hard for a non-french-speaker to completely understand everything=/.
Didi rarely says anything important anyway and when she does people repeat it without the "accent" as in this case. She says "petite culotte" (little pants=panties) and then Zii says "panties!". You don't need to understand that "J'aime" means "I love" to understand that Didi is delighted by the idea. The little hearts send the message. I assume the "real" Didi has a fairly thick accent that would make her equally difficult for a typical American to make out everything she says

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

Giz and Dave should just give up and have her speaking joual.

All the time.

>_>

Even francophones will be begging for the franglish to return. >_>
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

cenaris

Post by cenaris »

Gary has to wear Zii's panties? Tuesday can't come soon enough.

Ray D

Post by Ray D »

1. As others have said, terrific expressions by Zii today. Panel 3 is my favorite.

2. Operation Get Zii a Job is about to launch. Lots of possibilities here, including a) Gary's call center [and won't THAT by fun] b) DiDi's restaurant/cafe [Zii drools at the mere thought of being around her Amazon all day], c) that Korean joint [which may well be connected to Junghan...lots of opportunities for a happy reunion between Zii and Junghan]

3. DiDi showing an unexpectedly kinky side today...but then she seems to be split on her attitudes and behavior about sex. This little kink is obviously in line with Zii's own obsessions. ('We have so much in common, DiDi. We both love horror movies and we both love guys in tiny, feminine undies. Hey, do you also love...')

4. On the Franglish...well, the creators are both Canadian, and Giz is Quebecoise. Lots of English-speaking Canadians know some French, and the strip does take place in Montreal after all. It's just one of the things that makes the strip distinctive. It could be seen as a limitation, but then other strips also have limitations that grow out of their nature. (I can't take superhero strips seriously because the characters wear capes and long underwear all the time.)

5. One point about DiDi's use of French: she only slips into it completely in certain situations. Sometimes she does it when she's surprised (like when she woke up a few strips ago). But she also does it when she's very emotional or aroused: when she was having her hot night with the crushable Erik, she was howling in French. Here she is again today, touching enthusiastically on a sexual subject, and her emotions come out entirely in her native language. That's pretty perceptive psychology on the part of the creators.

oni
BANNED

Post by oni »

Bear wrote:Giz being a native French speaker and having English as her second language, purposely has DiDi speaking her form of franglish so that its easier for the English speaking audience to understand her.
Wait. How do you know this? ...Giz speaks perfect english to me when we pm each other (then...not now), so now I feel cheated in not knowing this; Call shenanigans on Bear!.. =(( :x

Zii, Zii..*sigh* Zii! ...She sure forgets quickly, the predicament happen to put herself in after FINALLY (Though rather late) giving a tell all confession, to flip the script on Gary by making him wear her panties. If Gary does, then it's indeed official!
Gary is a masochist; nuff-said!